Uniform at funeral?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Last_Four, Oct 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry, not sure if this is in the right forum.

Got a military funeral tomorrow, keep getting told different things about what to wear. Been told to wear white belt, medals, white gloves. Then someone else has said no medals, and no white belts.

Anyone any idea which it is?

And yeah I know it's late in the day, but I only just thought of asking on here. At the moment I am taking everything with me so I can change as needs be!

2. I have been to a couple and I wore it all, not sure if its the correct form or but, if anyone said anything, fook em, I was there to say goodbye to a couple of mates. I did get an black armband though, left arm. I say, wear it all, let everyone see what a soldier looks like saying goodbye to one of his brothers

3. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Agreed. Throw the lot on. The more effort you put into your appearance is a mark of respect to the bloke you are saying goodbye to.

4. Last time i went to a mil funeral, it was medals, black belts, black armband and white gloves. may not have been right but it was a few years ago now

5. Wear the lot and say goodbye with pride in your heart

6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Wear the lot - I signed out a set of blues for my mother's funeral, gloves, etc.

If you are a pall-bearer, it's a different kettle of fish. No belt, no gloves, no medals. Come to think of it, I don't remember the RSM telling us not to wear shoulder titles, which surprises me. I once watched the squadron medice hoist a Swingfire ATGM onto his shoulder and screamed as the shoulder title made two punctures in his shoulder. And a loaded coffin is a LOT heavier than a Swingfire, believe me.

It was also pleasant that the RSM talked in whispered, encouraging tones instead of bawling at people.

7. Couldn't get hold of any black armbands today...We will wear the full lot then. He was a true professional soldier, so I may as well try and look like one for a day. Have spent all week bulling my boots and sorting my uniform out, but didn't want to end up wearing the wrong thing and looking disrespectful.

Edit: Forgot to say, Thanks

8. I know its late BUT..the QM(A) should have black armbands in his (secret cupboard), if not, see the unit tailor if you have one, or, ask the padre.

just a thought....

9. Good for you , and I hope he gets a fine send off.
    I going through the same myself at the moment. Going to my 86 year old Uncle's funeral next week. He was a Marine and served through WW2. I was going to go in suit and tie, but wiser heads have given me good advice, so its uniform for me.

I think as a mark of respect to a true warrior and gentleman, its the least I can do.