Unidentified RAF Badge

The below image is taken from a wartime still of some stock footage being used in a documentary about the TSR2. I'm trying to ID (what appears to be) the rank badge. Firstly, some observations:

He appears to be RAF.
He's not a warrant officer.
He's wearing Service Dress.

I initially thought his badge was one of the short-lived Aircrew Class II, III or IV types, but these were post-war - and he's not wearing an aircrew brevet... or shitehawks for that matter. His capbadge denotes him being either a ranker or NCO.

I thought it might be a BD badge but they're worn on the other arm. I'm normally pretty good with such things, but this has left me scratching my head a bit. I've even considered he might be an RE SQMS working with the crabs. Any ideas?

20210331_010638.jpg

The below image is taken from a wartime still of some stock footage being used in a documentary about the TSR2. I'm trying to ID (what appears to be) the rank badge. Firstly, some observations:

He appears to be RAF.

I initially thought his badge was one of the short-lived Aircrew Class II, III or IV types, but these were post-war - and he's not wearing an aircrew brevet... or shitehawks for that matter. His capbadge denotes him being either a ranker or NCO.

I thought it might be a BD badge but they're worn on the other arm. I'm normally pretty good with such things, but this has left me scratching my head a bit. I've even considered he might be an RE SQMS working with the crabs. Any ideas?

View attachment 561839
RAF Bomb Disposal

RAF bomb disposal, I know the image is utterly impossible to see clearly. But, he is medalled and this fits the general outline - let me leave it with the learned members!
1617295531531.png

Polyester

War Hero
Did service dress for NCOs/ORs have a belt back then? I thought they were beltless and the WO's/officers belted. I noted the headress capbadge too but it really does look like MALM on his sleeve.

Bloody odd.

E2A; Bomb disposal?

Dammit! too late!

Did service dress for NCOs/ORs have a belt back then? I thought they were beltless and the WO's/officers belted. I noted the headress capbadge too but it really does look like MALM on his sleeve.

Bloody odd.

Bomb disposal?
Rather thought they were SD material belted with a brass buckle.

It's not a BD badge - upper right arm on SD/No1s. So he's either NCO Aircrew or he's a well (and incorrectly dressed) sapper WO2. The lack of brevet and shitehawks would suggest such, but I'm not so sure. Were there any JNCO aircrew jobs that didn't carry a brevet?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Who cares, Happy 103rd birthday to the RAF, the world's longest running April Fools joke :party: :party:

He appears to be RAF.

RCAF Warrant Officer Class 2. Worn 1948-52.

Royal Canadian Air Force - Link

1617311749654.png

Since I think it is a RCAF WO2 might the context of the film be a reference to the AVRO Arrow? This was a similar programme which was halted a few years before TSR2. The parallels being that the US didn't like the competition from such advanced aircraft and, following the cancellation of the projects, both aircraft were destroyed along with as much associated material as possible. Almost as though they were being expunged from history and memory.

@BuckFelize Which documentary is this? Is it on line? I'm interested because my father worked on both projects and the links are rarely brought up. This image might be the connection I've looked for.

Last edited:
Spot on! RCAF WO2. Every day a school day.

Latest Threads