Unidentified PNVGs

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Mothman, Jun 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have recently acquired some PNVGs. They might have dubious past (sanctions busting equipment?) because there is no manual, no serial number or asset tag and no markings on the foam rubber lined box they came in. Whilst they are in new condition, they are clearly a Gen1 optic.

The rubber caps have pinholes in them for daylight use,and they run on 1 x AA battery. Each eyepice is individually focusable and the pupillary distance is adjustable. Oddly they tip down rather than up if you want to resort to Mk1 eyeball. I thought maybe the mount might have been assembled upside down, but I tried to take it off and reverse it , but I coudn't set them to tip up.

The headstrap fittings look slightly British, but the plastic colour makes me think they may be West German, Dutch or perhaps Romanian. They are well made and rugged and came in a glossy OG plastic case, with a now completely perished foam rubber lining.

Can anyone tell me more about them? Does anyone have a manual? They have some black muck inside the objective lens, possibly a bit of that perished foam rubber, and I was wondering if they could be cleaned? Also the immage flickers rather annoyingly when used in daylight with the pinhole caps. Is this normal? or is it just a flat battery warning?
    pnvg1.jpg pnvg2.jpg IMAG0143.jpg pnvg3.jpg pnvg4.jpg

2. Russian would be my guess.

Lads brought loads back from first Gulf War, the Iraqi's ran off and left loads of kit in the bunkers, nothing dodgy about them as no bugger cares about 1st gen kit anymore.

3. Possible, they maybe French?

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

they look like nzt's but with better looking face brace. possibly a chinese/indian/yugo copy

the shimmy could be overload from daylight use as its supposed to be low light and no light

5. I've just taken them out for a walk around the small copse near my house, and they are quite good performers for gen1 kit. And your right about the shimmy, it's still apparent, but not so annoying when used in proper darkness.

6. Grumblegrunt

no illuminator either.

flip down must be rare and I've seen some somewhere but buggered if I know where. there should be some moulding marking somewhere on then though. the sovs shipped thousands of sets to iraq as apparently did france.

7. Grumblegrunt

you have the off on switch and there should be a gain knob or similar to tune them in. what is the silvery thing below the battery case and switch. one either side so I reckon thats what you have to dial in.

AA batteries - really? either they eat batteries or are not gen 1 kit as they usually need a lithium pack like cr123.

8. The silvery knob is actually clear plastic and when unscrewed you can see they are some sort of air filter with a fibre wadding in them. They have an O-ring seal. Yes, they do, surprisingly run on just 1x AA battery, and no, I can't find any markings anywhere on them, apart from a sticky mark that might have been a label. The small levers near each eyepiece are individual diopter adjustment. They focus by turning the front objective, and both objectives are geared to move in unison in clockwise and anti-clockwise direction simultaneously. They are well made and the head brace fits well.

9. I would guess at Polish. I'll do some digging.

10. There's something about them, possibly the colour/finish that says German to me.

11. Yes. That colour is often seen on Boxhead kit. What about Austrian/Swiss?