Unidentified phosphor munition

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Fuchs66, Feb 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hope this is the right forum for this, I've just recieved an e-mail with a request for identification of an unidentified phosphor munition, I only have the photos as of yet but the markings are in English and it appears to be modern. It was found on the German North Sea coast so may well be Navy. If anyone recognises it can you let me know, PM if need be. Cheers F66
  2. well the green CCC is green smoke, and it says flare at the top, possible ship used, ask the AT's
  3. true but never seen one before.
    ask dinger he might be able to tell you what it is.
  4. " Each flare is approximately 18 inches in length; 4 inches in diameter and painted in green and white bands. The marking on the flare consists of the words `US Navy - Marine Nav Air marker mark 25 MOD 3'. They look a little like a large Roman Candle with a pointed cap on the end. When they are activated they emit flame and smoke for up to 12 minutes, and filled can weigh about 1.5kg.

" They are usually found at high water mark on the beach and they are considered to be live and extremely dangerous.

For further details contact:
    The Maritime & Coastguard Agency Duty Press Officer
    Office hours: 023 8032 9401
  5. This is a smoke float...

This should be reported to the local Police who will contact the appropriate EOD agency who can identify it and deal with it. (As it CLEARLY states on the label.)

There is no need to further ID such natures on this forum.
  6. Woah calm down, it has already been dealt with by the German authorities, the request came from the organisation that found it as they haven't had any joy so far.
  7. Cheers for the replies so far been a big help.
  8. Can anyone help with this?

9. Eh!

You are telling me that the Feurwerkers don't know what this is, and they are asking you to enquire on a public forum..?

Pull the other one!

These are not unusual devices...!
  10. Not at all the Feuerwerker dealing with it probably did know it's just the information wasn't passed on and the request got passed onto me via a couple of other people. The Feuerwerker wasn't the person posing the question and I posted here through my own initiative.
    E2A just to clear it up a bit further it was found by an organisation carrying out unrelated work, but which has a lot to do with WW2 munitions in the North Sea and was passed on to the State authorities via the fire brigade, the interest was because it is a modern piece in an area where mainly old munitions are found, curiosity more than anything apparantly.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I used to find these on the beaches of North Cornwall, carry them home then call the plod. I was only a 12-13 year old at the time and I used to kick them about a bit just in case before picking them up. 3rd world bomb squad style you understand!
    Now if I had access to dems I would have blown in situ.
  12. You are deluding us and yourself.You probably did the same highly irresponsible things as I did involving washed up pyro (you remember;smoke floats/gas cylinders in bonfires,Schermully propellant in the village idiots' fag,etc).How I reached adulthood (debatably) with all parts intact I do not know :lol:
  13. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Looks like the flare that is fired from the RAF Nimrod's rotary launcher to me,the flange at the rear looks like where the cartridge firer would sit.(this is retained in the launcer)
  14. It is - used for locating subs during ASW training. Quite often wash up on the islands off the coast of Scotland, which is a pain in the backside when the Troop is in Edinburgh. Quite often by the time we had got to where the item was initially located the damn thing will have washed away again.