Unidentified British WWII Badge

Dear all, various members of my family fought during the second world war. Unfortunately, all the family war booty was mixed up, so I can't provide further information on which specific unit or formation this badge belonged to, but I would be very grateful if one of you could kindly identify it for me please?

Attachments

Exon

Old-Salt
The MC Eschers?

To be honest, that looks more masonic than military.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
logistics maybe going by the main/last support symbolism.

B

bokkatankie

Greek yes but badge is way to intricate to be issue, local design and made? British Army would not have done such a badge?

Exon

Old-Salt
Seriously, I couldn't find it here: British Formation Signs

Tawahi-50 may be correct, but it doesn't appear to be British WWII issue from what was on that page.

Dear all, various members of my family fought during the second world war. Unfortunately, all the family war booty was mixed up, so I can't provide further information on which specific unit or formation this badge belonged to, but I would be very grateful if one of you could kindly identify it for me please?
The Blurred Roman Division?

It's a formation sign for a command in Libya, My feeling is that it is Cyrenaica District.

Imperial War Museum Collection
Well done, Tawahi-50! I am seriously impressed.

I decided to go further. They don't appear to be rare (there have been a few up on eBay), but somehow that article on formation signs missed it. Although, there were quite a few of them out there during that period.

Heraldry In War - Formation Badges 1939-45 - Lt.Col H N Cole OBE TD
Page 153 Overseas Districts & L of C Areas.

illustrates a vehicle or uniform badge identical in design bur different colours.

"Two pillars on pavements representative of the ruins of ancient Carthage set on a square white background was Cyrenaica districts badge after its establishment as an administrative HQ of this conquered and occupied former Italian colony.The badge was significant of " the parts of Libya about Cyrene""

hope this helps. Picked this book up about 10 years ago in a junk shop. This is the first time it's been used.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Tawahi-50's ebay link says Cyrenaica District and is an exact match

Attachments

Heraldry In War - Formation Badges 1939-45 - Lt.Col H N Cole OBE TD
Page 153 Overseas Districts & L of C Areas.

illustrates a vehicle or uniform badge identical in design bur different colours.

"Two pillars on pavements representative of the ruins of ancient Carthage set on a square white background was Cyrenaica districts badge after its establishment as an administrative HQ of this conquered and occupied former Italian colony.The badge was significant of " the parts of Libya about Cyrene""

hope this helps. Picked this book up about 10 years ago in a junk shop. This is the first time it's been used.
Yeah, I think a more encyclopaedic source was needed than a web page.

It's a formation sign for a command in Libya, My feeling is that it is Cyrenaica District but failing that, it's going to be Tripoli or Bengazi District.

But Libya it is

Edited to add;

Yep, working back from 'Cyrenaica formation sign' google came up with this;
Cyrenaica District WW2 Printed Formation Sign Badge | eBay

Edited further to add;

Imperial War Museum Collection
Top stuff! Thank you very much to Tawahi-50, Exon, Plumber71 and everyone else who helped. Your research and knowledge are much appreciated.

Top stuff! Thank you very much to Tawahi-50, Exon, Plumber71 and everyone else who helped. Your research and knowledge are much appreciated.
You're welcome despite my silly first response.

Formation Badges of World War 2 by Howard Cole offers a bit more detail for you. HQ Cyrenaica District was established in Benghazi on 7 Feb 1943 and moved to Barce on 9 Mar. The badge was designed by Maj Gen A L Collier CBE MC. It was originally a black design on a white background but was later changed to white on black.