Unidentified British WWII Badge

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Blue_On_You, Mar 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear all, various members of my family fought during the second world war. Unfortunately, all the family war booty was mixed up, so I can't provide further information on which specific unit or formation this badge belonged to, but I would be very grateful if one of you could kindly identify it for me please?

Attached Files:

2. The MC Eschers?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. To be honest, that looks more masonic than military.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

logistics maybe going by the main/last support symbolism.
  5. RASC - Greek Billeting Mob 44-45
  6. Greek yes but badge is way to intricate to be issue, local design and made? British Army would not have done such a badge?
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Seriously, I couldn't find it here: British Formation Signs

Tawahi-50 may be correct, but it doesn't appear to be British WWII issue from what was on that page.
  8. The Blurred Roman Division?
  9. Well done, Tawahi-50! I am seriously impressed.

I decided to go further. They don't appear to be rare (there have been a few up on eBay), but somehow that article on formation signs missed it. Although, there were quite a few of them out there during that period.
  10. Heraldry In War - Formation Badges 1939-45 - Lt.Col H N Cole OBE TD
    Page 153 Overseas Districts & L of C Areas.

illustrates a vehicle or uniform badge identical in design bur different colours.

"Two pillars on pavements representative of the ruins of ancient Carthage set on a square white background was Cyrenaica districts badge after its establishment as an administrative HQ of this conquered and occupied former Italian colony.The badge was significant of " the parts of Libya about Cyrene""

hope this helps. Picked this book up about 10 years ago in a junk shop. This is the first time it's been used.
  11. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Tawahi-50's ebay link says Cyrenaica District and is an exact match

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yeah, I think a more encyclopaedic source was needed than a web page.
  13. Top stuff! Thank you very much to Tawahi-50, Exon, Plumber71 and everyone else who helped. Your research and knowledge are much appreciated.
  14. Must be REME then.