Unidentified Badges - Help wanted

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Stonker, Dec 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A collector friend of mine has these:

Neither he nor I have the first idea whether they are military or something else.

Anyone out there have an answer?
  2. They appear to be 'helmet plates', though it's hard to judge their size from the photo, think of the headress of 'Zulu' etc and you'll get the idea. I have a book with a load in, and will have a look to see if yours match.
  3. Nah, the proportions are wrong for helmet plates.

They look to be connected. I wonder if they're from one of the Commonwealth Countries (or Emipire Colonies as it would have been then)
  4. i think they are bodge ups,,knocked out in pakistan-if you look close the middle badges dont fit the stars,,
    its the old buffs star, with bits added to look good.and i bet they are restrikes as well.
  5. The Crowns on them are Prince of Wales Crowns I believe
    The one on the left has the same Plume / feathers as used by the Royal Regiment of Wales with the same motto Ich Dien, that may not be too helpful as many use it.

Anyhow still digging
  6. How are they connected? They don't look that way to me, am I missing something? The Crowns are identical, so must be from around the same time frame.

They look pukka enough, though.

The one on the left could be Welsh, the one on the right I would guess is Lanc or Yorks as they appear to have a rose in the middle.

Many capbadges had the star. IIRC even the RCT had one at one point.
  7. The Prince of Wales's Division comprises regiments from yorkshire, also from Canada, Ireland etc in the past. So could be a former regt. RCT Star is an indian star, so different
  8. The Crown is the Imperial Crown as worn on all badges from the death of Queen Victoria until the coronation of the present queen. I would hazard a guess that these could be Militia badges , probably as worn on the Shako rather than the helmet.
  9. I have been interested and collected badges from before WW2, my originals coming from WW1 vets.
    I would like to see the reverse of these, the only ones that match exactly apart from the centres are East Surrey 1915-19.
    These centres appear to have been fitted to WW1 backs, can recognise the centres but not the combination.
    The two centres are both featured on the old 'Yorkshire Hussars' Alexandra, Princess of Wales Own.
    'ich dien', POW feathers and the Yorkshire Rose.

Attached Files:

10. [align=center][​IMG][/align]

Size wise - they're not big enough to be helmet plates: for am idea of scale, a remembrance day poppy would sit comfortably behind each, if that helps

One of them (on the left, IIRC) shows one reverse to have been manufactured in Oxford. The other also shows English manufacture - I can't remember the location.
  11. I wish I had snapped the backs - largely 'cos I don't think I'll see the badges again for a coupla weeks. I'll try to remember my camera next time I'm near them.
  12. Both are the King's crown, 1901 to 1952. Think they're helmet plates, the centres could be fixed to the standard outside bit.

This explains a bit, see the right hand side of the page;

One on the left may be Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry.

edited 'cos I had posted the wrong link
  13. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

The one on the right is "The East Yorkshire Regiment" badge, superimposed on "The East Surrey Regiment" ...

Source Regimental Badges, Maj T J Edwards, 1951 [reprinted 1972]

... stand by ...
  14. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

The one on the left is probably on the same base ... POW Feathers could be from "Pembroke Yeomanry, Denbighshire Yeomanry ... and indeed Royal Wilts Yeomanry". Or several other Regiments that used POW Feathers ... But NOT on a star background, ever.

These are combined badges, and they're bolloks ...

"Oooh, I've not seen one of them before, I'll giove you £250 ..."
  15. Havinging checked 'Military Badge Collecting' by John Gaylor, I'm sorry to say I can't find these two badges!

The right bagde has the centre of the East Yorkshire Regt, but the POW feathers are common to a lot of Regiments. I can't even find a decent 'star' with which these to forefronts have been cobbled together to creat a cap badge.

The question has to be asked, could they be collor dogs or the like?