Uni then Sandhurst or Sandhurst straight after A Levels?

MPetts

Crow
I am currently in my final year of secondary school and in a few years i want to become an officer in the Scots Guards. the problem is i don't know whether i should go to university and get a degree after college and then go to Sandhurst or if i should join the British Army straight from college. Please can those you that have been in similar positions or that are or were officers in the army help me make an informed decision?

Edit: if i go to university i will join the army reserves as a reserve officer in the 4th Battalion Duke of Lancaster's regiment so i can get first hand experience as an infantry officer.

Last edited:
Thinking ahead...

If you are commissioned, you will at some stage retire from HM Armed Forces.

When that day comes, as good as it will be to be a former Officer, it will be even better to be a former Officer with a degree.

Others will be able to give more sage advice, I only ever went to RMAS to use the ranges...

University!!! Exactly the same as your parents will tell you.

Every man and his dog is getting a degree nowadays so do not reduce your career progression, or future job prospect chances by not having one in your back pocket.

I studied as a mature student after I left the army, a great time was had, I did a post-grad course straight after and then followed that with a Masters Degree. Many of the kid's on my Masters Degree had jumped straight from their first degree to a masters degree to get the added kudos. One of the lads was planning on joining the Navy as an officer and yet still did a masters because he knew it would help him as he climbed the greasy career pole. He has subsequently done very well for himself enjoying an interesting career and good promotion.

1. Go to university.
2. Join the University Officer Training Corps............that way you will see if you even like the life and they may even give you a bursary for uni.
3. If you got to grips with (2.) above, then join when you leave Uni, or better still go do a quick masters degree in a military related subject.

Good luck.

Look===> UOTC

Last edited:

MPetts

Crow
Thanks for the advice, i think that if i go to university i will join the army reserve as an officer to get hands on experience as an infantry officer.

Ken M

Swinger
Simple advice: Uni, UOTC , then RMAS afterwards. You'll be better equipped to handle the Jocks at the age of 23 than you would at 19.

walrusboy

War Hero
I am currently in my final year of secondary school and in a few years i want to become an officer in the Scots Guards. the problem is i don't know whether i should go to university and get a degree after college and then go to Sandhurst or if i should join the British Army straight from college. Please can those you that have been in similar positions or that are or were officers in the army help me make an informed decision?

Edit: if i go to university i will join the army reserves as a reserve officer in the 4th Battalion Duke of Lancaster's regiment so i can get first hand experience as an infantry officer.
If you join 4 LANCS during your three to four year degree course, prison is almost inevitable.

However, get a degree, follow up with a masters and then join.

Dwarf

LE
@Effendi does give you a second option of studying after you leave, though it rather depends I think on how long you may stay. If you do stay a while then a degree might be a help and certainly after you leave it will be.

Here's a thought, join the AR by all means, but do you need to be an officer straight away? I found that doing time as a squaddie TA helped me learn the basics and understand the lads in the company better. By also seeing from the worm's eye view what the lads see as a good and bad officer you will learn a huge amount about what to do and more importantly, what to avoid doing or being.
When I finally got comissioned I was a better officer for having done that rather than having gone straight for a reserve comission.
Just a thought.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the advice, i think that if i go to university i will join the army reserve as an officer to get hands on experience as an infantry officer
Why? Go to uni and enjoy yourself. The army stuff will follow when you eventually go to Sandhurst. If you're desperate to waste your weekends on Otterburn rather than in some female student's bed then at least join the reserve as an OR so you have some fun.

Last edited:

Do they teach you I is an i in Scotland now?

Bob65

Old-Salt
Having a degree is the “new normal”, everyone of your generation practically will have one, you don’t say if you are planning to make the military your entire career, but if for any reason it isn’t, you will be disadvantaged by lacking that tick in the box. What if you discover that you hate it? What if there are more defence cuts? What if you are injured? What if you fail Main Board? Most officers leave at Captain in their mid-20s and start new careers.

Obviously you will be doing a STEM degree.

Do UOTC rather than reserves. You can commission through UOTC and it will be structured around your academic commitments.

Last edited:
Many of the kid's on my Masters Degree had jumped straight from their first degree to a masters degree to get the added kudos.
I’m not so sure about that. In my industry we see quite a lot of ab initio Masters degrees. Of course, it depends on the field of study, but many are worthless, the overall employability not keeping up with the salary expectation (and debt) that comes with the degree.

MBAs particularly so; these are best sought when the student has a body of experience to use when studying the MBA, but it’s not limited to business study, I’ve seen a few straight-to-MSc recently in STEM and in effect the candidate has followed a very academic pathway expecting it to have wider business value, and that’s not necessarily the case.

So, the advice is good; get a degree, ideally in STEM (although a BA did me no harm in the AAC) and hold fire on anything postgrad until a later date?

More controversially, get your infantry rocks off in the UOTC/TA then join something more useful when you join the regular army?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
The intake at RMAS these days is about 75% grad to 25% non-grad. Average age of 23. All now do exactly the same course in integrated platoons and accommodation.

The course has been mapped in with the Uni of Reading and Henley Business School and counts for 120 points towards a BSc in Leadership and Strategic Studies. Further career courses over an officer's early years also score further points and with several on-line modules a non-grad can secure a degree without any student debt whilst earning a reasonable salary of over £30k a year (somewhat less before commissioning). This is proving to be a popular route in to the Army and has been running for a few terms now.

| Henley Business School

Officer Skills and Learning - British Army Jobs

Last edited:

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Here's a picture (the blue bits are the additional modules and the khaki ones are courses you do anyway):

img257.jpg

At university you can make the common mistakes and learn how to deal with people AWAY from a work environment, and get some wider understanding of what motivates people - or unmotivates them socially and under deadlines where you won't be assessed for your behaviour. You will meet, party, study and disagree with people from a wider range of areas, experiences, backgrounds and social classes than you would at home and gain something of a wider understanding about people. And have a good time to remember when cold, tired, hungry and grumpy. You can even practice man-management by helping to run a society

Some people say OTC, some say don't. Go away, study, and enjoy gaining 3 extra years of maturity to fall back on and a qualification in case of - gods forbid - disqualifying injury or change of heart. I wish you all the best .

Latest Threads