Uni P Coy

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by cmaj, Apr 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking to go to uni next year and am in the system ie I have an ACA etc, and he was saying that I can do P Coy in Uni if I get sponsorship from the Para’s. Im not sure of my unit choice yet, and was looking to see if this really has happened, or if it’s just a recruiting gimmick?

Thanks in advance!
  2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

If you are in the OTC or TA, it is possible to do P Coy whilst at Uni - the TA all arms P Coy as part of 4 Para or Airborne Student, or regular All Arms if your unit/OTC push for it.

Most only do the regular AAPPS once their place at RMAS is confirmed, and providing their sponsoring unit supports it. Therefore if you are sponsored Para/RA/RE etc (ie anyone with a Para Role) you can ask for it to try and pre-empt selection for those units whilst at RMAS.
  3. ah thanks! just wanted to double check!
  4. I was under the impression that officers who commissioned into the Parachute Regiment have to complete "P Coy" after RMAS regardless of their previous attendance... Doing it as an officer and all that...
  5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Hence the "try and pre-empt" bit.

I know of one applicant who did regular all arms P Coy whilst at the OTC/4 Para, with the intention of going regular Para Regt after RMAS. In the end, he did not get to the Para Regt interview, but the P Coy pass already in the bag helped him on his way to the airborne element of his chosen Corps as he was a guaranteed ready to go subbie once STA training was completed.

I am not sure about the Para Regt bit, as most of ours (4 Para) that subsequently go regular have to re-do P coy anyway to avoid any recriminations from having done the "easier" TA one, particularly as a Pte, as you rightly point out. I will ask and try and get the definitive answer but I would suggest that a pass at Regular AAPPS as an OCdt would do you no harm in terms of potential selection for the board as it is an element of doubt removed before hand.
  6. I was on a course at Brize in around 2001/2 & there were several Army Cadetship Officers (& I believe Bursars) doing the jumps course having done AAPPS. Don't know if this still happens, though.
  7. In the mists of time,I did P Coy as a tom,and then, after Sandhurst ,my Corps demanded that I do it again(although I did not have to do Abingdon a second time).It seems to be a bit of a movable feast these days,and course loading seems more dependent upon availability of aircraft for the parachute phase.