Unheard bomber command tape

"ow many flak would ya call dat?"

Lovely Yorkshire accents

Stirring stuff.

I've just spent an hour unable to stop watching this, following on from Mr Memory's clip above. Fascinating stuff, basically a 'day in the life of', documentary of a Lancaster bomber and crew based at RAF Hemswell, and according to the narrator, the only known surviving colour record of RAF in action during WWII.

"ow many flak would ya call dat?"

Lovely Yorkshire accents

Stirring stuff.
My favourite...From 2:17 "You could light your fag on any of those..." "That was a big clout"....(nonchalantly) "I think we've been hit personally..."

There’s a Radio programme still available for another 10 days on BBC iplayer Radio called ‘Bombing Berlin’ that’s about Wynford Vaughan-Thomas’s trip on a sortie to Berlin in 1943 on a Lanc (ED 586 - F Freddy). It’s 60 min long.

My brother is into that VR stuff where you have to wear the headset etc. He’s got the trip with Wynford Vaughan-Thomas where you’re actually in the Lanc with them. It’s fantastic. You start by sitting behind the pilot & engineer. You can duck down & look right through the aircraft. Wonderful.

That recording doesn't sound right to me. Too much 'okay', too much idle (non-Polish) chit chat, the use of 'bombardier' instead of 'bomb aimer' and voices that just don't sound... authentic? Is it me, or does this sound like a re-enactment? It also sounds rather quiet. No audible flak and four Merlins at full chat is deafening.

That recording doesn't sound right to me. Too much 'okay', too much idle (non-Polish) chit chat, the use of 'bombardier' instead of 'bomb aimer' and voices that just don't sound... authentic? Is it me, or does this sound like a re-enactment? It also sounds rather quiet. No audible flak and four Merlins at full chat is deafening.
Could it be that the recording device was plugged straight into the intercom, therefore cutting out a lot of background noise?
The rear (or upper) gunner firing was probably picked up by his own mic.

Bodenplatte

War Hero
From the 1920s the BBC had annually broadcast the songs of nightingales from the garden of a famous lady cello player, whose name I forget. On the night of 19 May 1942 this was being broadcast live to the nation, when the BBC realised that they were picking up the sound of an assembling bomber stream. Realising that this would give warning to German listening posts, the Beeb pulled the plugs on the broadcast, but kept the tapes running.

There were 197 bombers of various types outbound for Mannheim. 12 did not return. Damage to Mannheim was slight, many bombs missing the town. IIRC there were only two fatal German casualties, two Feuerwehr officers.

Try listening whilst you read Noel Coward's poem, "Lie in the Dark and Listen"

Lie in the dark and listen. It's clear tonight so they're flying high
Hundreds of them, thousands perhaps, riding the icy, moonlight sky.
Men, materials, bombs and maps, altimeters and guns and charts
Coffee, sandwiches, fleece-lined boots, bones and muscles and minds and hearts
English saplings with English roots, deep in the earth they've left below
Lie in the dark and let them go
Lie in the dark and listen.
Lie in the dark and listen

They're going over in waves and waves,high above villages, hills and streams
Country churches and little graves and little citizen's worried dreams.
Very soon they'll have reached the sea and far below them will lie the bays
And coves and sands where they used to be taken for summer holidays.

Lie in the dark and listen
City magnates and steel contractors,
Factory workers and politicians
Soft hysterical little actors Ballet dancers,
'reserved' musicians,
Safe in your warm civilian beds
Count your profits and count your sheep
Life is flying above your heads
Just turn over and try to sleep.
Theirs is a world you'll never know

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Didnt dimbleby get into trouble once for saying " jesus wept"on air when reporting sumfing ??

ex_colonial

On ROPS
On ROPs
Years ago I met a chap who was a "pathfinder" pilot during the war Pathfinder (RAF) - Wikipedia

He was a very modest guy and when I asked which was the danger he found most disturbing, flak or nightfighters, he said it was the flak, sometimes there was so much that he felt he could have walked on it, it was so thick!
The problem for him was that after the flares were dropped at least one pf plane had to stooge around to guide or correct subsequent waves of bombers, normally either above the stream or to one side!
Balls of steel indeed!!

If any of you have access to a VR headset and a PC that will run it this is very good, it's the live recording of BBC reporter Wynford Vaughan-Thomas and his sound engineer, Reg Pidsley who joined a Lancaster crew on a bombing raid over Berlin in 1943. It puts you in the aircraft looking over the shoulders of the crew as they go about their tasks as the recording plays in time with events going on during the mission from take off, flying over occupied Europe and then through the flak and searchlights over Berlin, dropping the payload while being harassed by enemy fighters and then the flight home. It's a great use of VR for education.

1943: Berlin Blitz in Collaboration with the BBC | Immersive VR Education

Latest Threads