Unheard bomber command tape

Very long time lurker (10yrs+) & thought I’d take the plunge to post this podcast I listened to the other day as it may be of interest to some here. I know it’s Dan Snow, but he’s only in the first couple of minutes.
I have no affiliation to this, it’s just interesting.
(Description copied direct from the podcast page)
“In July 1943, a young flight lieutenant, Steve Stevens, got back from a bombing raid over Essen, and recorded his recollections straight onto a wire recorder”.

I hope this link works!
Dan Snow's HISTORY HIT by History Hit Network on Apple Podcasts

Very long time lurker (10yrs+) & thought I’d take the plunge to post this podcast I listened to the other day as it may be of interest to some here. I know it’s Dan Snow, but he’s only in the first couple of minutes.
I have no affiliation to this, it’s just interesting.
(Description copied direct from the podcast page)
“In July 1943, a young flight lieutenant, Steve Stevens, got back from a bombing raid over Essen, and recorded his recollections straight onto a wire recorder”.

I hope this link works!
Dan Snow's HISTORY HIT by History Hit Network on Apple Podcasts
Hey bloke. The linky did not work for me but a quick google, or bing, fixed that and here is another link.

The Unheard Tapes of Bomber Command with Steve Stevens | Dan Snow's HISTORY HIT on acast

If you were in the military you should join the rabble.

Hey bloke. The linky did not work for me but a quick google, or bing, fixed that and here is another link.

The Unheard Tapes of Bomber Command with Steve Stevens | Dan Snow's HISTORY HIT on acast

If you were in the military you should join the rabble.
It was only after I posted it that I realised it was connected to Apple.
Cheers for amending the link.

Not personally military, but from a large military family. I also work on the railway where’s there’s quite a lot of ex Mil from all three services. That’s how I found the site originally all those years ago after Googling something we were discussing at work.

It was only after I posted it that I realised it was connected to Apple.
Cheers for amending the link.

Not personally military, but from a large military family. I also work on the railway where’s there’s quite a lot of ex Mil from all three services. That’s how I found the site originally all those years ago after Googling something we were discussing at work.
Similar family connections to @Joshua Slocum so I don't think people will mind you hanging around as long as you can take the abuse and ridicule...........you know how it goes here if you have been lurking.

Didn't Richard Dimbleby go out on bombing raids with the RAF and record broadcasts?
Yes, along with Wynford Vaughan Thomas and Edward R. Murrow: Dimbleby rode along as an Observer on around two dozen missions.

Recorded on disks over the a/c intercom 'as it happened', the recordings are on CDs available to buy and you can sweat along to several live missions like this one.

Bomber Command Vol. 1 (sound recordings) audio CD | CD41

Lancaster bomber intercom

R.D. "was the BBC's first war correspondent". He sent Despatches from El Alamein and on D-Day etc, and got his journo hooter in early at Belsen.

Similar family connections to @Joshua Slocum so I don't think people will mind you hanging around as long as you can take the abuse and ridicule...........you know how it goes here if you have been lurking.
Definitely. I’ve seen many a chippy fool shot down in flames over the years here. I don’t intend to go down that road. That’s why it taken me so long to join. I’m a bit out of my depth & don’t want to be ‘that’ bloke.
As for the abuse etc, I seem to have a squaddie sense of humour & outlook on life. (so I’m told).
I find myself gravitating toward the ex forces types in mess room time at work. There’s a danger of becoming a ‘fanboy’, but it’s those lads I have most in common with. I’m very much interested in military history & have learned loads from both them & here. My closest mate at work is an ex colour who served in Berlin. He asked me to find the Puff Puff club for him on my last visit & take a pic, which I did. It’s a hairdressers now.
I digress...

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes, along with Wynford Vaughan Thomas and Edward R. Murrow: Dimbleby rode along as an Observer on around two dozen missions.

Recorded on disks over the a/c intercom 'as it happened', the recordings are on CDs available to buy and you can sweat along to several live missions like this one.

Bomber Command Vol. 1 (sound recordings) audio CD | CD41

Lancaster bomber intercom

R.D. "was the BBC's first war correspondent". He sent Despatches from El Alamein and on D-Day etc, and got his journo hooter in early at Belsen.

When Richard Dimbleby made his recording onto a disk, it was taken by courier to an American broadcasting station for re transmission to the UK
the BBC at first refused to play the recording it was that shocking, he told them in no uncertain terms, if you dont play it, I will come back and hand in my resignation and kick up hell
they played it
and people at home and other soldiers listening in realised what they were fighting to destroy

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Richard Dimbleby also had a set of Adolf Hitlers cutlery liberated from the wolfs lair
he used to put it out for any dinner guest he disliked !!
he was a large lad, and the first person to make alive outside broadcast, by ringing the BBC from Ally Pally, then disconnecting the wiring from the phone box, hooking up his microphone and reporting the events
he got a right royal telling off for that
but he paved the way for journalists the world over
he also one laid out with one punch a domestic employed by the family whop went made and tried to stab every body

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I have the transcript of Richard Dimblebys famous recording here
he was an Icon amongst broadcasters and is still today the yardstick by which many are judged
here is that recording, one he needed to perform in one take and get it all on the disc which had only a limited duration
I must warn you you these are sobering, moving upsetting, and Profound words

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
he was an Icon amongst broadcasters and is still today the yardstick by which many are judged
here is that recording, one he needed to perform in one take and get it all on the disc which had only a limited duration
Sadly, if you played that to the youth of today they'd think it was a play and all fantasy.

I'm 30 mins in to listening to part 1 of a link sent by @Joshua Slocum

I would urge anyone interested to request the link from him!

Just listened to both segments on the you tube link. Having been to bergan belsen last year, it adds another dimension to the horror seen there.