• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Unhealty vibrating noise

F

Fablonbiffchit

Guest
#1
My wife has a 1.6.16V Megane cabriolet. Its 9 years old and she loves it. Its an automatic with approximately 75000 on the clock. When driving a noise that I can only liken to a humming vibration starts once you hit around 40mph and it continues to get louder the faster you go and it quietens down when you slow down. It seems to be coming from underneath towards the back of the car. I think it may be the exhaust but as my prior technical experience of vehicles was as a B1 driver in the AAC I am somewhat limited in my erstwhile knowledge. Thus I would be indebted if any knowledgeable greasemonkeys or persons of a similar ilk could possible throw some light on this.
Muchos Grassyarse.
 
#4
Grab the exhaust( when its cold) and shake it from side to side, if there is a knocking/rattle get it to a trusted mechanic and have them ask to look at the EXHAUST MOUNTING RUBBERS.
If you take it to an exhaust express fitting place, chances are they'll try to sell you a whole new system.
 
#8
Had a similar problem and found the rear section of my exhaust heat shield was held on by a wing and a prayer. Replaced rear section and check exhaust mountings at same time - no more noise.
 

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
#12
I had a similar noise from the front central/nearside. Turned out to be shocks were sagging on near front and had made the tyre develop a ridge. Changed shocks and tyre, bingo, smooth running.
 
#13
if it gets louder as you go faster its definatley the running gear, ie wheel bearing, driveshaft, i would says wheel bearing as iv done this before on a few vehicles.
 

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
#14
Its diff-hum.

You slow down or speed up, and the hum goes, right? This is down to car being driven at a certain speed for most of its life. I had a Merc that did it at 50 and 70mph. Replace the diff or turn the radio up. My mechanic said it was irritating, but unlikely to have you stranded on the M25.
 
#16
TheIronDuke said:
Its diff-hum.

You slow down or speed up, and the hum goes, right? This is down to car being driven at a certain speed for most of its life. I had a Merc that did it at 50 and 70mph. Replace the diff or turn the radio up. My mechanic said it was irritating, but unlikely to have you stranded on the M25.
On a Renault Megane ? its front wheel drive , so unless its like the Mini Cooper in The Italian Job the diffs not in the rear :) now if it was an old landy......
My bet would be wheel bearings .
 

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
#17
grimbo said:
On a Renault Megane ? its front wheel drive , so unless its like the Mini Cooper in The Italian Job the diffs not in the rear :) now if it was an old landy......
My bet would be wheel bearings .
Ah. Sorry. My knowlege of French motors is right up there with my knowlege of toilet cleaning products. Does the humming sound like Frere Jacques? Only it could be pining for its filthy foreign home?
 
F

Fablonbiffchit

Guest
#18
Ancient_Mariner said:
Are you sure it's the car? What age is your missus? Could be a dodgy hip joint.
I thought at first it could be the wife had somehow become a sparky and had connected a lovetoy seeking enjoyment but then unless the speed of said toy is dependent upon an irritating hum.....
 
#19
waterman said:
if it gets louder as you go faster its definatley the running gear, ie wheel bearing, driveshaft, i would says wheel bearing as iv done this before on a few vehicles.
It could easily be aerodynamic; ie, a loose fitting that flaps or vibrates as the air speed under the car increases.
 
#20
Dragstrip said:
waterman said:
if it gets louder as you go faster its definatley the running gear, ie wheel bearing, driveshaft, i would says wheel bearing as iv done this before on a few vehicles.
It could easily be aerodynamic; ie, loose flaps that vibrate as the air speed under the car increases.
Aha, it's almost certain to be his wife, then.
 

Latest Threads