Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

UNHCR to investigate Israel for possible war crimes

Yes and not just Israel's - they are something of a pain to Egypt as well

But that's why I think firming up the border between Izy and Pals then allowing the Pals more autonomy - allow them direct imports so handling facilities, docks etc all create jobs - if people have prospects then even if they are still hateful bigots** a bomb vest looks less appealing than it does to Achmed no future

**That's not to imply any or all are its an example to make the point
Sounds good.
But if it doesn't work, or fails some time in the future what then?
As has been quoted before, we say never forget, Israel says never again.
It is not me in my cosy Library in North Oxfordshire that needs convincing.
And just to make matters clearer I am Jewish by birth (sufficient for the Austrian bloke) but not by religion or upbringing, and I didn't find that out until 1969. But I have more than sympathy at stake here.

I don't want to get into an argument about this as I have no first hand data.
The one book I do remember on this was by the Sunday Times Insight Team where I formed this opinion.

I have a book on intelligence failures and Yom kipper is way up there

The Israelis had all the data to know it was coming - pretty much the entire threat board was red or black(unknown) - The individual who pieced it together was told to shut up.

It had been decided that there would be no war without an Egyptian and Syrian alliance - which there was not ( it didn't occur to anyone that there was and someone was lying)
Weapons systems such as SAMs and ATGM were dismissed as defensive only so no threat.

Egypt in particular created so many false alarms that they no longer caused alarm

Its perhaps like 911 and Pearl harbour , when someone pieces it together its clear it should have been forseen - this then gives rise to conspiracy theories about letting it happen

I don't want to get into an argument about this as I have no first hand data.
The one book I do remember on this was by the Sunday Times Insight Team where I formed this opinion.

The Israelis have a very small standing army with a huge number of reservists, at Yon kippor
when the Arabs struck most of the army and reserves were pissing it up,
there were minimum troops at the Suez canal
It was a very bad mistake on the part of the Israelis

Edited

Last edited:
Egypts wound its neck in, Jordans on reasonable terms -

Iran and Saudi are too far away -

I think that rhetoric aside its not really on the cards

My bold .. really, perhaps you should try reading this Iran Vows to Keep Funding Terrorism, Threatens Israel with 'Hellfire'
snip "The Institute for National Security Studies (INSS), one of Israel's leading think tanks, says a northern war with Iran is Israel's biggest threat in 2019
Iran's Supreme National Security Council Secretary said Tuesday that Iran will continue to supply deadly weapons to its proxies in Lebanon and Gaza so they can respond to Israel's "acts of stupidity with hellfire"
While speaking at Iran's National Security Conference on Space Technologies, Shamkhani said the regime will continue perfecting its missiles.
"
Iran has no scientific or operational restriction for increasing the range of its military missiles"

And lets not forget Pakistan's nuclear programme where both Saudi & Iran have been sniffing around for help in obtaining the big bang!!
Money for Missiles? Reassessing the Saudi Visit to Pakistan
snip "This year’s visit comes amid heightened concerns of potential Saudi missile cooperation with both Pakistan and China. Beijing first supplied the kingdom with missiles capable of reaching Tehran and Tel Aviv in 1987; according to satellite imagery analysis reported by the Telegraph in July 2013, Saudi missiles were aimed at both cities. These liquid-fueled weapons are now effectively obsolete given their forty-year-old technology and cumbersome launch procedures, but they were nevertheless shown at a 2014 military parade in a gesture interpreted as a diplomatic warning to Iran and the United States, who were involved in nuclear negotiations at the time. Vehicles associated with more-advanced missiles were also spotted in that display."

My bold .. really, perhaps you should try reading this Iran Vows to Keep Funding Terrorism, Threatens Israel with 'Hellfire'
snip "The Institute for National Security Studies (INSS), one of Israel's leading think tanks, says a northern war with Iran is Israel's biggest threat in 2019
Iran's Supreme National Security Council Secretary said Tuesday that Iran will continue to supply deadly weapons to its proxies in Lebanon and Gaza so they can respond to Israel's "acts of stupidity with hellfire"
While speaking at Iran's National Security Conference on Space Technologies, Shamkhani said the regime will continue perfecting its missiles.
"
Iran has no scientific or operational restriction for increasing the range of its military missiles"

And lets not forget Pakistan's nuclear programme where both Saudi & Iran have been sniffing around for help in obtaining the big bang!!
Money for Missiles? Reassessing the Saudi Visit to Pakistan
snip "This year’s visit comes amid heightened concerns of potential Saudi missile cooperation with both Pakistan and China. Beijing first supplied the kingdom with missiles capable of reaching Tehran and Tel Aviv in 1987; according to satellite imagery analysis reported by the Telegraph in July 2013, Saudi missiles were aimed at both cities. These liquid-fueled weapons are now effectively obsolete given their forty-year-old technology and cumbersome launch procedures, but they were nevertheless shown at a 2014 military parade in a gesture interpreted as a diplomatic warning to Iran and the United States, who were involved in nuclear negotiations at the time. Vehicles associated with more-advanced missiles were also spotted in that display."

No I stand by my point about it being Mostly rhetoric. Those that really mean it lack the capacity

As for the lobbing of instant sunshine - Israel can return that favour and whilst the King wahhibist may not really give a dam about Quds mecca - king khalid city etc - he does value his own skin.

Who was it said - Arabs are high on rhetoric and make grandiose blood curdling threats - Husseins somewhat muted threat to resolve the oil production price issue in late 89 /mod 90 should have set alarm bells ringing

Last edited:
No I stand by my point about it being Mostly rhetoric.

As for the lobbing of instant sunshine - Israel can return that favour and whilst the King wahhibist may not really give a dam about Quds mecca - king khalid city etc - he does value his own skin.

Who was it said - Arabs are high on rhetoric and make grandiose blood curdling threats - Husseins somewhat muted threat to resolve the oil production price issue in late 89 /mod 90 should have set alarm bells ringing

My bold... maybe that's the case for their stance currently on Israel who would certainly pay back in spades, BUT let Israel weaken and like most bullies, the Arab world would not hesitate to attack/exterminate them, as they have done to virtually all the Jewish populations of their countries since 1948!

The problem for the Israelis was that every time they mobilised for these false alarms it cost the economy about $50 million a day, which was a lot of money in those days, especially for a small country.

Which is why It was determined the Egyptians kept up the false alarms and faffed around with releasing conscript classes a few times - The abnormal become normal and so not worthy of note and the costs in reacting helped everyone reach for the ignore it button.