UNHCR to investigate Israel for possible war crimes

Let me see if I have got this right. An Argentinian, a Bangladeshi and a Kenyan were tasked by an organisation that includes representatives some of the worst human rights abusers in the world to conduct an investigation into human rights abuses, which they did largely through looking at social media?

Seems legit.

Let me see if I have got this right. An Argentinian, a Bangladeshi and a Kenyan......
So, their nationality of birth somehow determines the veracity of their report? Isn't this the type of overt racism you accuse others of displaying towards Jews/Israelis?

.....to conduct an investigation into human rights abuses, which they did largely through looking at social media?
Do you remember the media ban?

Perhaps social media, and specifically video, is the most reliable evidence available given that both Israelis and Palestinians have a long and distinguished history of lying in the face of overwhelming evidence.

No wonder why our bloody taxes keep going up......
What tax rises would those be Londo?

Personal tax rates are unchanged since 2013, and corporations tax rates have dropped by almost a third in the last decade.

You can't be talking about council tax, because that's not used to fund the aid budget.

Inquiring minds want to know.

This refers to the use of lethal force on the Gaza / Israel border.

“The Commission has reasonable grounds to believe that during the Great March of Return, Israeli soldiers committed violations of international human rights and humanitarian law. Some of those violations may constitute war crimes or crimes against humanity, and must be immediately investigated by Israel,” said the Chair of the Commission"

While the whole situation is a mess, it would appear that it is possible that Israel has used excessive, indiscriminate force. 6000 shot, 189 dead to the end of last year.

Someone recently made a comment about the Tories being held to a high standard of accountability than the Left; is this the case with Israel?

UNHRC report: Settlements are a war crime

OHCHR | No Justification for Israel to Shoot Protesters with Live Ammunition
Doesnt a war crime mean there is a war?

Doesnt a war crime mean there is a war?
Not strictly, no, although in general crimes against civilians are defined in law as "crimes against humanity" and the canon of "humanitarian law" applies. The distinction isn't made in this case due to the IDF being the alleged perpetrator.

Let me see if I have got this right. An Argentinian, a Bangladeshi and a Kenyan were tasked by an organisation that includes representatives some of the worst human rights abusers in the world to conduct an investigation into human rights abuses, which they did largely through looking at social media?

Seems legit.
Not Pallywood though?

A bit old but.

I view both sides as bad as each other.

I was for many years very much pro IDF, until I saw them using airburst WP over very heavily built up areas during Op CAST LEAD..

Regardless, I do think this is a subject worth discussion.
My base position continues to be that if you call yourself an army and purport to be defending civilised standards against criminal terrorism you cannot descend to the level of the terrorists [or even below it]. As far as I understand things that is also the position in international law.
Over the years the IDF have clearly gone beyond that line, the WP is one example, another bigger one for those with memeories would be the access 'granted' to Palestinian refugee camps to permit the Christian militias in the 1980s in the Lebanon to carry out random killings. Neither of these are things that can be blamed on 'a single rogue soldiers acting under extreme duress who wasn't really resposible for his actions'. If the investigation is to be meaningful it will have to go to senior levels and probably end up in the cabinet at which point international politics will intervene and nothing will happen.

Occupied West Bank, not tbe Gaza border.
I said it was in the West Bank that the soldier and Rabbi were killed... it doesn't detract from the fact that those attacking the border at Gaza, wouldn't stop at the soldiers for a cuppa and a natter, but would be into the first Israeli community behind the border fence, seeking to rip the inhabitants to shreds.

My base position continues to be that if you call yourself an army and purport to be defending civilised standards against criminal terrorism you cannot descend to the level of the terrorists [or even below it]. As far as I understand things that is also the position in international law.
Over the years the IDF have clearly gone beyond that line, the WP is one example, another bigger one for those with memeories would be the access 'granted' to Palestinian refugee camps to permit the Christian militias in the 1980s in the Lebanon to carry out random killings. Neither of these are things that can be blamed on 'a single rogue soldiers acting under extreme duress who wasn't really resposible for his actions'. If the investigation is to be meaningful it will have to go to senior levels and probably end up in the cabinet at which point international politics will intervene and nothing will happen.
Well put, thank you.
I do remember those astonishing incidents: Shabra and Chatilla camps, off the top of my head, and hundreds if not thousands murdered by Isreals proxies in cold blood.
A stain on Israel.

The Palestinians claim to have their own nation state in Gaza and the West Bank.
Imagine Mexico or Canada, chucking thousands of rockets at Texas or Michigan, yearly and their citizens armed, trying to cross the border daily in hostile acts to kill US citizens.

How do think the US government would react to such blatant hostility towards their sovereignty and the safety of it's citizens?

I said it was in the West Bank that the soldier and Rabbi were killed... it doesn't detract from the fact that those attacking the border at Gaza, wouldn't stop at the soldiers for a cuppa and a natter, but would be into the first Israeli community behind the border fence, seeking to rip the inhabitants to shreds.
Sounds like you see the death toll at the border to be acceotable, "just in case"?

The Palestinians claim to have their own nation state in Gaza and the West Bank.
Imagine Mexico or Canada, chucking thousands of rockets at Texas or Michigan, yearly and their citizens armed, trying to cross the border daily in hostile acts to kill US citizens.

How do think the US government would react to such blatant hostility towards their sovereignty and the safety of it's citizens?
Whataboutery.
And the hobby rockets, while annoying, cause little damage.

What tax rises would those be Londo?

Personal tax rates are unchanged since 2013, and corporations tax rates have dropped by almost a third in the last decade.

You can't be talking about council tax, because that's not used to fund the aid budget.

Inquiring minds want to know.
OK . No wonder the overseas aid budget keeps going up and wasting money that we need spending in this country .

Whataboutery.
And the hobby rockets, while annoying, cause little damage.
Sure that's alright,they don't hurt anyone anymore because of the Iron Done system. Try telling that to someone who has to rush to an air raid shelter when the siren wails in the early hours of the morning.

Sounds like you see the death toll at the border to be acceotable, "just in case"?
It's quite a simple solution to not getting shot.

Don't attack towards an armed soldier, with some form of a weapon in your hand.

Sure that's alright,they don't hurt anyone anymore because of the Iron Done system. Try telling that to someone who has to rush to an air raid shelter when the siren wails in the early hours of the morning.
and several other times during the day too . Dont know how many are fired these days as we dont hear much about them but at one time it was hundreds a month .

Latest Threads