UNHCR to investigate Israel for possible war crimes

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Bravo Bravo if your sympathies are Middle Eastern, then why not go there, life and living is cheap? And the words 'Jolly Good' belongs to Brotherton Lad, so stop stealing his thunder!

Perhaps consider indulging in a little light reading before charging in on a thread like this then. It will stop you appearing to be as ill-informed as your comments suggest.
Im very sorry that I dont know everything as you appear to do
Ive noticed that you have made a couple of snide comments about my posts in the last few days . I must have hurt your feelings somewhere along the line . Either that or you just dont like my hairstyle .

Last edited:
There you go, the person issuing the order has just authorised and encouraged the local commander to commit criminal acts. That you think this scenario is appropriate means you're part of the problem, a member or ex member of the military who doesn’t understand international law or doesn’t care.
OK Then at all reasonable costs as if the Palestinians break through the IDF will have to go postal on them to keep their citizens safe . Its what a government is in power for and armed forces are there for

Whataboutery.
Did the IDF commit war crimes or not?
Thats the question. Attempting to dissemble by questionning the independence or qualification of the messenger is an obvious attempt to divert attention from the subject.
That wasn't the question you posed as far as I can see. Do you consider the UNHCR to be above reproach? You've defended their investigation of Israel, and whether or not the IDF committed war crimes, that is not for us nor you to decide. Yet you object to the questioning of UNHCR investigators' qualifications, impartiality and expertise.

Violence is not really 'peaceful protest', but if war crimes have been committed against Gaza protesters then that's not okay, let the appropriate authorities do their job and it may be that the ICC will investigate. Afaik, the ICC isn't investigating, yet.

In brief, legislating by an ideological, ambiguous and flawed human rights idiom with ideological NGOs doesn't seem historically effective against ongoing human rights abuses. Illiberal states don't really change either.

Besides radically different arguments about how countries should behave, there seems to be scant evidence that human rights treaties and spongey dogmatic moral language - lacking consensus and specific legal interpretations - have improved people's lots.

Edits post to complain about snide posts, which weren't anything of the kind. Proceeds to make snide posts all over the thread. This might explain why I personally doubt your impartiality in any matter, let alone this one.
Having a pop about my "operational experience" isn't a dig?
Liar.

You do a lot of Googling, while some of us speak from some 'experience' The situation in Israel is much to do with the Post War British Government of the day. In retrospect we should have taken the Jews in and not brought in some of the 'non productive's' of recent years, but discounting the Windrush generation who have done their bit.
Just pointing out that Israel has a bit of form for killing Brits, in response to your comment about the Arabs doing the same

Bravo Bravo if your sympathies are Middle Eastern, then why not go there, life and living is cheap? And the words 'Jolly Good' belongs to Brotherton Lad, so stop stealing his thunder!
I view both sides as bad as each other, which annoys some, and confuses others.

I've also been using that phrase here about a year longer than B_L, who I'm pretty sure won't mind somebody else using it as well.

Youve not heard of LOAC? Have you never served?
What i would or would not do is utterly irrelevant and I wont be derailed into discussing.
The report does mention the IDF could have made greater use of LTL techniques, though.
Its been a long time and I have a short memory so I did have to look LOAC up . I may have known it as IHL just cant remember now .
As for what you would or wouldn;t do Im not trying to derail you as you've spent several posts sidetracking the issue and you could have answered in just one post . I will ask again but in a different way ... What would the British Army have done if they were there in place of the IDF ? Would or could they have done any better ? It would be nice to know .
BTW Thanks for starting this thread @Bravo_Bravo its been quite enjoyable .

As for what you would or wouldn;t do Im not trying to derail you as you've spent several posts sidetracking the issue and you could have answered in just one post . I will ask again but in a different way ... What would the British Army have done if they were there in place of the IDF ?
Ironically, you are asking me to sidetrack...

What would the British Army do? I'd posit the nearest we have had would have been riots in NI, UKLF pretty much sucked it up and very few protestors got killed.

BTW Thanks for starting this thread @Bravo_Bravo its been quite enjoyable .
Thank you.

Its better when the tawdry digs stop, though.

Ironically, you are asking me to sidetrack...

What would the British Army do? I'd posit the nearest we have had would have been riots in NI, UKLF pretty much sucked it up and very few protestors got killed.

Thank you.

Its better when the tawdry digs stop, though.
Not been trying to have digs at you . Im only trying to put your mind into what the IDF were having to deal with . It was very much a lose/lose situation .

Latest Threads