UNHCR to investigate Israel for possible war crimes

This refers to the use of lethal force on the Gaza / Israel border.

“The Commission has reasonable grounds to believe that during the Great March of Return, Israeli soldiers committed violations of international human rights and humanitarian law. Some of those violations may constitute war crimes or crimes against humanity, and must be immediately investigated by Israel,” said the Chair of the Commission"

While the whole situation is a mess, it would appear that it is possible that Israel has used excessive, indiscriminate force. 6000 shot, 189 dead to the end of last year.

Someone recently made a comment about the Tories being held to a high standard of accountability than the Left; is this the case with Israel?

UNHRC report: Settlements are a war crime

OHCHR | No Justification for Israel to Shoot Protesters with Live Ammunition

“The Commission has reasonable grounds to believe that during the Great March of Return, Israeli soldiers committed violations of international human rights and humanitarian law. Some of those violations may constitute war crimes or crimes against humanity, and must be immediately investigated by Israel,” said the Chair of the Commission"

While the whole situation is a mess, it would appear that it is possible that Israel has used excessive, indiscriminate force. 6000 shot, 189 dead to the end of last year.

Someone recently made a comment about the Tories being held to a high standard of accountability than the Left; is this the case with Israel?

In an ideal world, their isn't any justification for shooting protesters. I seriously doubt the IDF particularly enjoy it and the thing you should consider is intent..... What I mean, is if you saw someone in the street behaving badly and choose not to act, then they kill someone, that is fine I suppose, except it raises a moral question.

The IDF are required to defend the border and simply have no trust that the line crossers will behave themselves. So for instance, if a bunch of peace protesters enter a base, we don't shoot them. One supposes if they tried to penetrate a nuclear storage bunker, we would, not because we want to, but because you make a rational judgement that the danger is deemed too great.

Is that the splashing sound of ground bait I hear entering the water?

Is that the splashing sound of ground bait I hear entering the water?
I view both sides as bad as each other.

I was for many years very much pro IDF, until I saw them using airburst WP over very heavily built up areas during Op CAST LEAD..

Regardless, I do think this is a subject worth discussion.

A Palestinian attacked, stabbed and killed an Israeli soldier on 17th March 2019 in the West Bank, took his weapon and turned it on Israeli citizens, killing a Rabbi.

Two Israelis killed in West Bank attack

Do you really think those Palestinian protesters were attacking the border to give out hugs and kisses?

Last edited:
Do you really think those Palestinian protesters we're attacking the border to give out hugs and kisses?
Capture  uuuu.PNG

Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar - We Will Tear Out Their Hearts - April 6, 2018

I think it was all down to the queue at passport control.

A Palestinian attacked, stabbed and killed an Israeli soldier on 17th March 2019 in the West Bank, took his weapon and turned it on Israeli citizens, killing a Rabbi.

Two Israelis killed in West Bank attack

Do you really think those Palestinian protesters we're attacking the border to give out hugs and kisses?
Occupied West Bank, not tbe Gaza border.

The palestinians, so special they have their very own UN agency founded in 1949 to help
the displaced from the '48 war, estimated at the time to be about 700,000 (arabs and jews).

All descendants of those arab refugees are considered refugees today also, they now number over 7.2 million worldwide, seven decades later.

The 1951 refugee convention has a lengthy definition of refugee that is personal: A refugee is a person who “owing to well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality and is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country.” In registering refugees on this basis, the UNHCR interprets the convention as requiring “family unity,” and it implements the principle by extending benefits to a refugee’s accompanying family, calling such people “derivative refugees.” Derivative refugees do not have refugee status on their own; it depends on the principal refugee.

UNRWA’s definition is also personal: Palestinian refugees are “persons whose normal place of residence was Palestine during the period 1 June 1946 to 15 May 1948, and who lost both home and means of livelihood as a result of the 1948 conflict,” but it also registers “descendants of Palestine refugee males, including adopted children.” The status for descendants is not dependent upon accompanying the principal refugee.
Approximately 40% live in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, in refugee camps in their own country.

A nice little earner.

Since the end of World War II, millions of refugees have left refugee camps and have been resettled elsewhere, including hundreds of thousands of Jewish people who were forced out of Arab countries. Many hardworking agencies have played a role in making sure that the descendants of these refugees were never refugees themselves. These agencies include the UNHCR, whose mandate is to protect refugees, forcibly displaced communities, and stateless people, and assist in their voluntary repatriation, local integration, or resettlement to a third country.
But we must keep that UN money rolling in.

The palestinians, so special they have their very own UN agency founded in 1949 to help
the displaced from the '48 war, estimated at the time to be about 700,000 (arabs and jews).

All descendants of those arab refugees are considered refugees today also, they now number over 7.2 million worldwide, seven decades later.

Approximately 40% live in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, in refugee camps in their own country.

A nice little earner.

But we must keep that UN money rolling in.
Oh, the fun I’ve had listening to people tell me how the Palestinians were forced to live as refugees because of the actions of the evil Israelis

Then asked them how much they know about the events of Black September and the Lebanese civil war. Oh how their faces drop as we gradually sit there and discuss the history and they learn of the PLO attempts to assassinate King Hussein and what happened at Dawson’s Field. Tres amusement...

Londo

LE

The Palestinian leaders wanted the people rioting and trying to tear down the fences shot and killed . Gives them more sympathy and whips up even more hatred against the Israelis . Picture in your mind what would have happened if several hundred or a couple of thousand Palis got through the fence and into a nearby Israeli village or kibbutz . There would have been a bloodbath . Lots of deaths all round as the palis tried to kill in the most horrific ways any Jew they came across and the Israeli tried to stop this by force . Better to shoot a few with snipers than let those fences be torn down and thousands killed on both sides .

I was for many years very much pro IDF, until I saw them using airburst WP over very heavily built up areas during Op CAST LEAD..

I was pretty much the opposite. Then having spent some time there meeting both sides I became aware of the PLO/ Hamas hold on the majority of the Palestinians. Rape, kidnap,punishment beatings (sound familiar)? I knew someone who's daughter accused a Fighter of rape. Father complained then disappeared as did her brother then her

It is worth a discussion.... I have said on other threads, policing civvies who aren't willing to obey orders will inevitably lead to bad things happening, or force the armed party to withdraw... The Israelis could in theory pull back 500m, but I am certain the pattern of provocations would just push further up to the new line and it puts the Israelis in a very uncomfortable position.

One only has to look at the performance of Blue helmets across the world to see that they aren't averse to straying over the line of good behaviour and I often think the game of who is nicer than whom, is akin to two bald men fighting over a comb.

I will take fire from the legal minded, but I don't believe in human rights as a way to legislate and quantify what is or isn't right.. Human beings just don't think like that. To bring peace to the ME, labelling one side only deepens the conflict.

The Palestinian leaders wanted the people rioting and trying to tear down the fences shot and killed . Gives them more sympathy and whips up even more hatred against the Israelis . Picture in your mind what would have happened if several hundred or a couple of thousand Palis got through the fence and into a nearby Israeli village or kibbutz . There would have been a bloodbath . Lots of deaths all round as the palis tried to kill in the most horrific ways any Jew they came across and the Israeli tried to stop this by force . Better to shoot a few with snipers than let those fences be torn down and thousands killed on both sides .
As far as propaganda and publicity goes, either outcome is a win-win situation for the Palestinian authorities.

Do not forget the palestinian authority martyrs fund.

"......monthly cash stipend to the families of Palestinians killed, injured or imprisoned for involvement in attacking, assisting in attacking, or planning to attack Israel,"

Re my post above. I knew the comedian Jeremy Hardy who was a supporter of oppressed majorities. He visited several places I knew and saw a completely different picture. I hope the angels are setting him straight now, though knowing Jeremy he will disregard their knowledge as being upper class/white working class bias. Bless the middle class Trot that he was. (top comic though).

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer

Bravo we used Lethal force in Aden and the Radfan, we used it by the shed load! I'm guilty as Hell. Report me if you like, I could well do with a break!

Capture   mmmmm.PNG

So you would rather have the showers?
I will hand you the soap, don't drop it there's a good lad.

Latest Threads