Unfortunate but Refreshing Example of Leader Taking Responsibility

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by jumpinjarhead, May 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Will it harm his career? Although he's put up a 'black' in that he broke some safety rules, he's also shown exceptional character and the ability to accept personal responsibility. Might not the outcome be a reprimand in his file and a private pat on the back?

Wordsmith

And just having spotted who posted this - welcome back and I hope things sorted out for you.

2. It takes enormous personal strength to admit to not meeting standards and then to accept that, by virtue of falling short of those standards, you cannot set an example to those you lead. I'm sure the decision to relinquish command was not taken lightly and possibly indicated he would find it personally difficult to come up to standard whilst still in command. I should imagine that this leader will use all available time to come back up to standard and find his role. I hope that this doesn't exclude him from further command although I fear it might.
    How many leaders, at whatever level, have we all encountered who fall short of expectation, in one sphere or another, who will bluster and bluff and seek to offload blame? This man has my respect for his inner strength and backbone. He clearly has an excellent understanding of what leadership entails and demands, something not all together pervasive among those who lead.

3. Indeed so.

4. R4R

R4R

An excellent example of selflessness. Hats off to him.

5. Thiis kind of flying must be particularly dangerous. Close formation and low level in fast jets etc. If he thinks he has dropped his standards, then of course it's right he needs to consider his future and it's not just his life, it's also the lives of his colleagues and the public at these airshows. There is a considerable amount at stake if something goes horribly wrong. There was a recent case in America some helicopter pilots were disciplined for dunking their aircraft in a lake while out on a training mission. I thik they lost their flying jobs. Anyway, good luck to him.

6. Moral courage and integrity - two of the most important qualities in a leader - I hope his confession wont mar his career.
    Then again the cynic in me wonders if he simply jumped before someone snitched him out!

7. As to what happens to him?

Although he could easily end up on the "slag heap" until retirement it is possible to bounce back. A friend from graduate school, a very bright officer, a pilot, was relieved of his command due to comments that although true and IMHO sensible were lacking in political correctness. He was relieved of his command at a fairly high grade and I thought his career was over. He spent a few years in a highly technical position leading a team that evaluated things and ended up retiring many years later.

I hope for the best for this naval aviator!

8. [​IMG]

The result of a USAF Thunderbirds flight getting a little too low(!) in 1982. It may be that the US mil hierarchy has got a little twitchy about minimum altitudes as a result.

Nevertheless, you'd think that a leader would be rewarded for displaying moral courage, rather than penalised. Doesn't exactly encourage his peers and subordinates to emulate his example, does it? With a bit of luck, he'll just be told to go on leave until the smoke clears.

Anyway, I don't see what the fuss is about;

[​IMG]

Now THAT'S a low pass!

9. Good on him, a leader with moral fibre and the ability to acknowledge his own failings.
    I hope this doesn't blot his copy book to much.
    JJH good to have you back, hope all is well.

CG