Unfortunate (and slightly amusing) names..

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
10 years ago I worked for Thales (France) in Afghanistan, knowing a bit of Ffrench I still felt that my education was lacking in that I didn't know much in the way of swear-words; so one of my Ffrench colleagues took me under his wing and informed me that "j'encule" meant "fück off". No wonder everyone though it was funny every time I said it.

Dirty bastards.
Guilty, if off topic. As a German Colloquialist, later Linguist, I was regularly disturbed during my drinking by people who wanted to know how to say this or that.

I taught them all the same.

"Ich möchte Ihre Tochter bitte in die Scheune mitnehmen."

"I'd like to take your daughter into the barn please."

Last edited:
Haha I remember being a phase 2 recruit getting the "welcome" brief from the RSM, 30 of us sweating to remain stony-faced because the bloke's name was Hardon.
"shhhhh, he's the ******* RSM"
"but dude, his actual name is Hard on"
Still got no idea what he said in his brief.
You a septic?

[QUOTE There's a Canadian working at BATUS named WAYNE KING. The Canadians didn't get the joke![/QUOTE]

They wouldn't though would they? Different country, different meaning.

I knew a Pratt in basic training years ago in Blackdown Barracks. There was also a SSgt Major in Lisburn. But the best one for not getting the joke was the Aussie we had attached to us in 1 Armd Div as part of Ex Long Look, yep his name was Bruce!!
No, the Aussies renamed him Bruce to save confusion!

There's a Eastern European woman at work whose surname is Vajina. I've got a mate whose surname is Dack and he named his son Donald. Mum had a friend at school called Rosie Bott.
God only knows what school must of been like for these people.
Worked ok for Pete Dack. Think he became a crab though so maybe .......

Several families named Dack in Bucks and thereabouts..

I posted years ago on here that my ex missus was at primary school with a couple of septics.
One a girl named Fanny, not Francesca but Fanny, Surname Hymen.
Other classmate a boy named Drew, again not Andrew, but Drew.
It was explained to the parents that he could have a bit of piss taking by the English pupils because his surname was Peacock.

At school we had a teacher called Andrew Dick. Absolutely hilarious of course.

Then he happened to get promoted to head of English.

The sign on his door read "A.Dick Head - English"
lasted about 2 months before he had his own one made, something boring like "Andrew Dick. English departmental head"

Still funny but not as good as the first.

I once knew a American woman whose surname was Kokkinias (it's Greek). She tried to convince everyone it was pronounced "ko-keen-ee-uss" and not "kok-in-ee-ass". Nobody listened.

Worse - this was actually her married name - she chose to be called this.

In my travels I met a couple of people whose parents must have really hated them. One a Cpl whose forenames were Court Marshall, the other a bloke in the RAF, P.R.A.T.T Pratt.

There's a village in Southern Bavaria, called WANK, the local yokels were mightily perplexed when a 4 tonner full of squaddies rocked up, jumped out, and posed , pointing to the road sign for a group photo, ( Ex Snow Queen 1977)

Edit:- pronounced Vank

There's a village in Southern Bavaria, called WANK, the local yokels were mightily perplexed when a 4 tonner full of squaddies rocked up, jumped out, and posed , pointing to the road sign for a group photo, ( Ex Snow Queen 1977)

Edit:- pronounced Vank
It's just outside Garmisch-Partenkirchen and the local summit is also named the same.
To get you to the top of W@nk, it has a very puritanical cable car - the W@nkbahn

I went to school with a lad called Julius Ceasar. He joined the RE IIRC.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I The NAAFI Bar 127
Pielover The NAAFI Bar 2
Mangonel The NAAFI Bar 37