Unfortunate (and slightly amusing) names..

Hectors House was feckin genius!
In 1st Armd Div. Hq & sig Regt, Verden, there was a civvy admin bod called Mr Hector. many many years later the Doris and I went to a Family christening, the child of Doris's sister, married name, Hector, while there we met for the first time my wife's sisters in-laws, called, hector, and one of them was the niece of .....Mr hector of Verden.

A chap I work with recalls that when he was in Nigeria a few years ago, there were posters up for the presidential elections bearing the names of a candidate and his vice-presidential running-mate: “Goodluck-Sambo”.

A cracking French chap with whom I served in 2REP had been discharged from the Regular Para-Sappers (17 RGP) for being a very bad boy. He had to change his name on joining the Legion, being from Alsace, he chose a German surname “Kuhl” and the French “Jean” for his first name. When said together by French speakers it sounds just like: “j’encule”. :). No duff!
(Translated into English it means “I sodomise”.)

. When said together by French speakers it sounds just like: “j’encule”. :). No duff!
(Translated into English it means “I sodomise”.)
10 years ago I worked for Thales (France) in Afghanistan, knowing a bit of Ffrench I still felt that my education was lacking in that I didn't know much in the way of swear-words; so one of my Ffrench colleagues took me under his wing and informed me that "j'encule" meant "fück off". No wonder everyone though it was funny every time I said it.

Dirty bastards.

I knew a Nigerian called Goodhead Jobe.

1976? That's the year I was born.

Looking at that photograph, that must have been around the time that the world was slowly evolving from Black & White into glorious colour.
Born 1976? A mere sprog!

Colour photography had been going for years by then. The photograph is just yellow with age. It would look a lot better if I imported it into Photoshop and cleaned it up.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I The NAAFI Bar 127
Pielover The NAAFI Bar 2
Mangonel The NAAFI Bar 37