UNFICYP

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by shafted, Oct 12, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well what arse, we deploy with full manpower and send them all on course, what a cool idea lets underman the rest so bad all they see is a shi** tower for six months i cant wait for 2004 so we can do it all again :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

2. Well the point you should be making is why does the regiment send everyone on courses and leave US poor little soldiers to do all the work and get no thanks for it at the end of the day. These tours are too long if you ask me, 6 months away from family and friends is enough to send men insane.

Oh and by the way, WE STAG ON THE TOWER!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

3. I take it you are either an air defender of a general support regiment........ ::)

How can you complain about Cyprus?  A fieldy would give his left arm for a tour of Cyprus.

4. I meant air defender General support!!!!

before ayone starts!!!! ;D

5. Well Smig Stick
    You are right a fieldy would like it in cyprus so do us air defenders the point is we send all our manpower away so the rest have to do back to back shifts. At least you fieldys know when your time off wil be  ??? ??? ???

6. It appears to me that you guys stagging on in the towers often get a little up set about doing back to back shifts. ie having to finally do a full days work. The shift rotations under full manning allows what you chaps like to refer to as a week off every third week. Now sure, quality of life is improved but you do have to remember that you are actually on an operational tour. I believe you received medals!! Quit your bitching and get on with the job at hand.

However that said to easy your mind I don’t believe in the idea of sending guys away to do courses during Op tours because it does put the pressure on everybody else. Fine if it is just the odd person on essential courses but a whole detachments worth is crazy. What the Regt is saying is that your tour could be done with that little manpower (just 2 shift) if that were the case surely original manning would reflect this so the initial deployment would be 2 shift not 3. Why put yourself under so much pressure.

Maybe the RHQ is panicking about not leaving itself enough time to convert to crewman 2000. Who knows but just knuckle down and do the work you get rewarded with a pretty long leave period at the end, now show me another profession that does that.

7. Well GS i agree with you but lets face it if one guy goes on cse he should be replaced as you said their is a job to do. So when exactly did you see soldiers on a week of days then nights then taz, i dont think youve seen that in a long time ???

8. Well i dont belive it we have a full troop of soldiers again the guys are lost for words ::)
    would it be possible to send some away on a course we had more fun covering all those fun shifts and being strapped for manpower
    or perhaps we could have another inter troop cometition because their fun and we enjoy wasting our spare time and using the night shift when they should be asleep 8)

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

What you need is some FTRS guys..  Motivated guys who would love to stand up a tower for 6 months and love to get a medal for it.  

10. Yea Mr Happy what a cool idea!!! NOT
    pongos are nearly as bad as the locals from woolwich

11. Ref us having a full Troop CANCEL OUT
    i knew it was to good to be true :(

12. WELL "follow me men" ITS GOOD THAT YOUR FIGHTING IN OUR CORNER THAT WE ARE WELL UNDER MANNED AND DOING BACK2BACK SHIFTS ALL THE TIME BUT THATS MY POINT. ITS US DOING IT AND WHEN WE DO MOAN ABOUT NOT GETTING ANY TIME OFF PEOPLE LIKE YOU SAY JUST GET ON WITH IT. THATS WHEN WE NORMALLY GET COME BACKS LIKE "i never moaned when i was a gnr" ITS BORING!!!......

OK CYPRUS IS SUNNY, HOT AND GENERALLY A NICE COUNTRY. BUT 6 MONTHS HERE REALLY PISSES PEOPLE OFF. THERE NEEDS TO BE ANOTHER WAY OF RUNNING A TROOP ON UN TOURS. IE....MORE SOLDIERS!!!! AND IF GETTING LOADS OF FTRS GUYS IS WHAT WE NEED TO DO THEN BE IT. BUT THAT DEFEATS THE OBJECTIVE OF AN ARTILLERY REGIMENT DEPLOYING IN CYPRUS. HOW WE MEAN'T TO DEPLOY IN WAR? GET LOADS OF TA GUYS IN ALL THE TIME??

13. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

Air defenders eh...   moan, moan and tic, etc

14. Read earlier post

Just get on with it time is running short and your POTL is fast approaching. I expect to here moans about how boring it was to have so much time off

You just can't win