Unfeasibly expensive military history books?

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Tartan_Terrier, Jul 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking round on Amazon and Abebooks I keep getting shocked at the prices that some sellers are demanding for out of print works of military history.

One of the books I've been looking at is "The Story of the Green Howards 1939-1945" by Captain W.A.T. Synge. £150 and up for a copy. Utter insanity!

What exactly is the score with getting books like this reprinted? Is it 70 years after the author's death that copyright lasts?

Regards
    T_T

2. That history of the SAS got pretty expensive if one went for the version with chapters only readable through PNVGs & bound in the skin of a dead Jundy :wink:

3. dockers

dockers Old-Salt Book Reviewer

From P-01: UK Copyright Law fact sheet

4. Indeed. As I suspected in copyright til 2038. A bit too long to wait methinks.

How would one go about obtaining permission for a reprint from the copyright holders?

5. I thought it might be interesting to read the book 'The Odd Angry Shot' as I rather enjoyed the film - £98.89! OK, it's long out of print but OMG!!

6. The Synge, for example: do you wish to own it or just read it?

If the latter your local library can maybe get you a copy, if there's one out there. They borrow from some places you might not think, including The British Library, and search through umpteen places beforehand. Costs half a quid, like, but you can usually borrow for a lot longer than the standard loan.

Some blokes have been talking about this, Post 28/29:

Looking for Green Howards photos/book recommendations - Page 3 - World War 2 Talk

7. **** that, I'll see if I can get you one in Aussie.

8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

the tech is there now that you can get any digitised book printed individually in paperback for the price of a hardback. I think there was company in thirsk who were trying to set something up.

9. North Irish horse, cheapest £35 second hand going up to £98 second hand

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE app

10. HHH

HHH LE

He wants a book not a horse :)

11. Might it be worth a wander around Hay-on-Wye on the off chance?

12. Er, ask them.

Then expect long delays, indecision, legal complications etc, etc, and finally the answer "sorry, no".

13. I don't know about the modern stuff but I just paid £35 for a book about the Austro-Prussian war of 1866. Mind you, the copy I have was printed in 1872, so at 140 years old it does have a certain value as an antique.

I wouldn't pay those prices for the modern stuff though.

You might want to contact Caliver books - the chap there deals with new and second hand books and his prices are pretty reasonable, particularly for some of the second hand stuff. He also sends out regular e-mails with lists of new stuff:

Welcome to Caliver Books

BTW their P&P is pretty good and they send the stuff PDQ as well!

Rodney2q

14. Check your pms.

15. Tartan Terrier -

Not sure how it works in UK but I can get books from any library in my US state for free 4 week loan. I looked online and discovered that a copy of the Green Howard book is in the "East Riding" library in the UK.

I know what you mean about prices though, military novels by Jean Larteguy are huge prices her in English language versions even for used paperbacks.