• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Unexploded bomb started to tick How big?!?!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7437086.stm

BBC said:
An unexploded World War II bomb started to tick and ooze liquid as experts tried to disarm it, police have said.

The large bomb was found in a river at Sugar House Lane, near Bromley-by-Bow Tube station in east London, on Monday.

Rush-hour travel was disrupted as overnight work to make the bomb safe continued into Thursday morning.

Police commander Simon O'Brien said: "It started to tick and ooze some pretty horrible substances." It stopped ticking when doused with liquid.

'Hero colleague'

Ch Supt O'Brien said the military disposal team's work over-ran because "the risks got greater and greater".

"One of our hero colleagues from the royal engineers went back into that bomb four times, which is extremely unusual," he added. "I think he was very brave."

It's huge. Can you see the bloke standing on top of it? What did they drop it out of? A flying battleship? :?

would love to see the bang that would make

That looks like something out of Quatermass and the pit.

EX_STAB said:
It stopped ticking when doused with liquid.
Yeah, I'd have pissed myself as well.

I thought that the Grand slam was the biggest bomb in WW2. discounting Little Boy and Fat Man of course which weren't as big but had bigger yields.

That thing looks huge !! I assume it is one of ours as there is no way that could have been aerially delivered at that time.

Who says size isn't everything ??

could have been a naval mine the Germans sometimes dropped those as bombs
bloody big bang when dropped

Erghhh ... looks like a 500kg German bomb to me with equipment sat on it ... perhaps a trepanner/cutter? No man stood on the bomb ... but please tell me you REALLY knew that :?

If it was ticking someone will get his GC! You always do..

It's a special top secret german "Gulliver" bomb. :wink:

Let's hope they dont lose this o... as you were, wrong service.

k13eod said:
Erghhh ... looks like a 500kg German bomb to me with equipment sat on it ... perhaps a trepanner/cutter? No man stood on the bomb ... but please tell me you REALLY knew that :?
;)

PE4rocks said:
Remember the Felixstowe "lost bomb" thread ....

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=94972/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=60.html

I could have been right you know ....

k13eod said:
The bomb isn't lost. As the Navy towed it out to sea it was captured by Royal Engineer divers and moved underwater outside of the search area. Once the search is ended it will be recovered and moved under cover of darkness to the 2012 Olympics construction site in London where it will be conveniently unearthed the following day. An RE BD team will deploy to the site accompanied by the BBC and ITV and after evacuating 4000 people for 7 days a very brave chap will defuse it and, because of the massive media coverage, will be awarded a QGM.

And rightly so. How very mundane and boring to tow a bomb out to sea and blow it up when you could be drilling into the fuze and neutralising.
:D :D :D

k13eod said:
PE4rocks said:
Remember the Felixstowe "lost bomb" thread ....

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=94972/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=60.html

I could have been right you know ....

k13eod said:
The bomb isn't lost. As the Navy towed it out to sea it was captured by Royal Engineer divers and moved underwater outside of the search area. Once the search is ended it will be recovered and moved under cover of darkness to the 2012 Olympics construction site in London where it will be conveniently unearthed the following day. An RE BD team will deploy to the site accompanied by the BBC and ITV and after evacuating 4000 people for 7 days a very brave chap will defuse it and, because of the massive media coverage, will be awarded a QGM.

And rightly so. How very mundane and boring to tow a bomb out to sea and blow it up when you could be drilling into the fuze and neutralising.
:D :D :D

Another chapter for your book perhaps!

BiscuitsAB said:
brighton hippy said:
could have been a naval mine the Germans sometimes dropped those as bombs
bloody big bang when dropped
How? IIRC they didn't have a heavy bomber.
Most German influence ground mines were dual purpose and thousands were dropped on the UK as bombs during the Blitz. The BM 1000 (British designation GG) was typical and weighed 2,200 lbs (1,000 kg), certainly not as large as the British 12,000 lb (5,443 kg) Tallboy or 22,000 lb (10,000 kg) Grand Slam but big enough to ruin your day.

Mr_Deputy said:
It's ok - it's not really a little man standing on top apparently.
Of course not. A little man would be much larger. It's obviously a little boy. :roll:

Incidentally, the largest conventional bomb dropped by the Luftwaffe was the 1,800 kg (3,968 lb) 'Satan' but even this was only 3.7m (12 ft) long including its removeable tail section.

(I know, I'm a bomb-happy geek.) :oops:

Mr_Deputy said:
I still find it hard to get my head around how the Germans/Nazis call them what you like tried SO hard to destroy all of London. amongst so many other cities. No wander we keep finding their handy work.
Digging a hole in Berlin can be a fun pastime as well :)

They have a padre on hand for all new excavations in the city.!

Latest Threads