Unexpected thieving in the bagging area

INSERT COMMON SENSE HERE
Am I right in deducing then that your rationale is anyone with the same opinion, proven or otherwise has common sense and anyone who has a different opinion to yours does not? Thats a bit draconian isn't it?

Nope you've got me puzzled

Im familiar with
White - Your typical King Edward etc
Red - - Skins are pink - white inside
Violet / Bleu / Purple - dark purple skin and purple white interior

Brown ive never seen - not even as seed potatoes and ive had a good nosey through them looking for different types
Them’s tactical spuds. Well cammed up.

I like them because it means I can go a whole weekend without talking to anyone.

Plus you can scan dodgy stuff without getting all awkward... johnnies, KY, jazz mags, and really embarrassing stuff like salad and fruit.
I like them for the same reason but even though I try to pick the one with the apparently young(ish) and sensible looking customer in front of me I always end up with one of 'them' .

Not 'THEM' but the 'them' who inhabit the other tills; the ones who don't really understand the whole concept of capitalism and the fact you are actually meant to pay for everything seemingly comes as an utter surprise and its only then they start looking for a method of payment.

Or the ones who cant read the large sign that says card payments only, ignore the machine telling them its card payments only and 'do you want to proceed?' and are then flummoxed by the fact it wont take cash, so now with a full belt I'm forced to wait for the assistant to transfer them all onto another till.

And the ones who look like they really will know what they're doing when they start but it soon becomes obvious that, no, they don't have a sodding clue what they're doing. This seemingly being the first time they've entered a supermarket in the last 20 years and the whole experience is novel to them.

And when you're a tight bastard like me and do the rounds to make a saving, in isolation some of your purchases look really sad under the scrutiny of a checkout operator, like johnnies, KY, a large aubergine and so on :)

Last edited:
Nope you've got me puzzled

Im familiar with
White - Your typical King Edward etc
Red - - Skins are pink - white inside
Violet / Bleu / Purple - dark purple skin and purple white interior

Brown ive never seen - not even as seed potatoes and ive had a good nosey through them looking for different types
I think they were chestnut mushrooms

I despise them. I want the guy who invented them to be stuck on an isolated island and then nuked from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Hold the nuke! He should be forced to listen to a deafeningly loud loop of “UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA!”

[QUOTE=" Does anybody else suffer?

NO, as I do the weekly nightmare on my Tod, ( Wife's not a well girl) armed with a list, its an In, grab what's wanted, no pissing about browsing, and a smart OUT, max time taken about 12 minutes. I do not use the self service thingy's, the Doris at the check out does the Bizz, efficiently, quickly and with confidence. Then I sit in the bloody car for 45 minutes listing to the wireless, reading the paper, and generally tossing it off waiting for my daughter while she F**** about doing her shopping, WITH HER FRIGGING LIST.
Bitter and twisted,..... what me? never, perish the thought,....... as if!

Last edited:

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

NO, as I do the weekly nightmare on my Tod, ( Wife's not a well girl) armed with a list, its an In, grab what's wanted, no pissing about browsing, and a smart OUT, max time taken about 12 minutes. I do not use the self service thingy's, the Doris at the check out does the Bizz, efficiently, quickly and with confidence. Then I sit in the bloody car for 45 minuets, listing to the wireless, reading the paper, and generally tossing it off waiting for my daughter while she F**** about doing her shopping, WITH HER FRIGGING LIST.
It must be a really big car if you can dance in it for that long.

Bell end.

Its a road in the west midlands, The Rowley Regis area, in the black country. about 10 miles from me.

( Sent through a medium, from beyond the grave, see post 170)

Last edited:

NO, as I do the weekly nightmare on my Tod, ( Wife's not a well girl) armed with a list, its an In, grab what's wanted, no pissing about browsing, and a smart OUT, max time taken about 12 minutes. I do not use the self service thingy's, the Doris at the check out does the Bizz, efficiently, quickly and with confidence. Then I sit in the bloody car for 45 minutes listing to the wireless, reading the paper, and generally tossing it off waiting for my daughter while she F**** about doing her shopping, WITH HER FRIGGING LIST.
You're missing a trick there, china!
Do daughter's shopping as well (with her card/cash, naturally), slide a crafty bottle of vino, lowflyer*, few cans through on her dime.... ;)

* Grouse! :)

At least when I buy a frozen meal for one, half bottle of wine and a Vienetta the automatic till isn't judgemental and pitying.
(Blatant steal from some comedian or other).

I gave up with self-checkouts about ten years ago. I don't like having to wait for some spotty-faced kid to waddle over and confirm that I'm old enough to buy alcohol.
I prefer people to 'speak-your-weight' machines that have learned to do sums.....

Saturday afternoon I was dispatched to grab a load of soft drinks and beer for a family reunion / barbeque. Did I:
a) waste 15 minutes behind the pensioners who've forgotten how to walk / mothers shouting at screaming kids waiting for a staffed till to become free
b) spend 30 seconds scanning my stuff, get it approved 10 seconds later (while I was bagging the soft drinks) and walk out of the shop a minute after I approached the checkouts

Self checkouts, if you're not a moron or wanting security tags taking off things they're much faster than the trolley dolly stuck on checkout duty.

Having said that, last year I saw an awesome screaming match between a husband and wife in Tesco, he kept scanning things and she then took them off the bagging area scale thing to pack them into the trolley. She couldn't understand why the till kept beeping and eventually the bloke just lost it, cue her stomping out in a tantrum.

MIddle-class shoplifters are scanning avocados as carrots at self-service tills

"I was working with retailers to reduce shoplifting when one major supermarket discovered it had sold more carrots than it had ever had in stock," she said. "Puzzled by this development it looked into its inventories and found that in some cases customers were apparently purchasing 18kg of carrots in one go. "Unfortunately this wasn't a sudden switch to healthy eating, it was an early sign of a new type of shoplifter."
Bit cheeky.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
How shoplifters justify theft at supermarket self-service checkouts

[Snipped for brevity]

Now they have discovered that their use encourages a greater degree of theft. As ever, the shortfall will not be absorbed by the store but will be factored in to prices and will therefore be paid by the customer.

Time to abandon them?
The original rationale was that it would generate a cost saving - one staff member could watch a dozen self-service checkouts. A dozen tills would require a dozen staff members. As such the losses from increased theft have to be offset against the reduced staff cost.

The minimum wage is £7.83 an hour - for an 8 hour shift that costs the supermarket £62.64. The saving on the 11 people not on the tills is approx £670. So if they lose less than that a day in shoplifting, they're still in pocket.

Wordsmith