Unexpected thieving in the bagging area

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
I like them because it means I can go a whole weekend without talking to anyone.

Plus you can scan dodgy stuff without getting all awkward... johnnies, KY, jazz mags, and really embarrassing stuff like salad and fruit.

I like them because it means I can go a whole weekend without talking to anyone.

Plus you can scan dodgy stuff without getting all awkward... johnnies, KY, jazz mags, and really embarrassing stuff like salad and fruit.
Or when I want to buy a Star Bra and Fun Slinger for a bank holiday weekend of fun

9DD40FE2-D60A-481A-A8CB-1CCE44A6832E.jpeg

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
How the blinking flip (its the int cell) do you creatures manage to operate your smart phones or the thing that you are using to 'chat' on the internet if a self service machine is beyond you? It is very simple you pass the item from one side to the other and it scans it for you. It is so easy, my 4 year old does it for me. At the end, if you have bought any items, that by law, or out of a sense of moral obligation, you need to prove that you are of age to buy, the supervisor will put their pin number or card or whatevs, to show that this has been done. This is called accountability, unless of course, you would rather that your children/grandchildren/niece etc were buying Special Brew or sniffing glue (for which you would, of course, blame the supermarket for selling it to them). As for the jobs: Yes, the convenience stores may have closed down, but who wants to pay £1 for a pint of milk and 50p for the privilege of using a card, which is IF you can find somewhere to park outside. Less people on tills means more people stacking shelves and helping people., unless you can site your sources for the laying off of staff? If you ARE genuinely concerned about the laying off of staff, then stop using eBay, Amazon, stop shopping online altogether, and shop at your local co-op and don't torture yourself with the self service machines, which didn't appear yesterday, you know that they are there. Supermarkets add money on at the front end, to negate the losses through shoplifting, and anyone who has kids will know, you get to the car and little Johnny magics a creme egg from nowhere. What are you going to do? You have conniptions about soldiers wearing their capbadge round the side of their heads, or that they moan because they were shouted at, but cant stand a computer beeping at you? Get a grip fellas, for Cliffs sake.....
There stands another devout advocate of ridding High Streets, and villages, of shops. But it's not really a problem if you have lots of money. It's only those who are low paid or cannot afford to go to out of town supermarkets who lose out.

There stands another devout advocate of ridding High Streets, and villages, of shops. But it's not really a problem if you have lots of money. It's only those who are low paid or cannot afford to go to out of town supermarkets who lose out.
If I understand your rationale properly then, because I think that anyone who can't or won't use an automated till is a simpleton, I am therefore wholly to blame for the fact that high streets are failing? Are you actually retarded or is it just your online schtick for this site? It is online shopping that has killed the high street, not automated tills, And as for not being able to afford to go, people can always order online for delivery, and yes, they are low income and may not have their own internet connection, but then, I am not a social worker, and they are problems for an entirley other discussion.

Even though the high street/village shops are much more expensive than the supermarkets.

If I am bored I concentrate on the selfscans, It's a doddle to bump my incident numbers.
The computer tells me when stuffs being weighed and I just blip to that till and watch what's going on and compare what's on the till to the printout.
Piece of piss.
PicsArt_05-27-07.39.28.jpg

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
I wouldn't care if I never entered a supermarket again. Self-checkouts make the whole awful process slightly easier, but the thought of mingling with a horde of feckless morons and handling my purchases about four separate times before I get home, leaves me cold.

I place my order online, usually on a Sunday, and get a delivery within a 30 minute slot, either on a Tuesday or Wednesday. All for the princely sum of £1.50. The delivery person is well mannered and amiable and would even unpack the whole lot from his crates on my kitchen counter if I wanted. If they are running early they 'phone ahead and I've only known them to be late once in eight years (yes, they did call me).

Supermarkets? Meh - life is too short for the self-induced stress......

Even though the high street/village shops are much more expensive than the supermarkets.
Yeah, for a 'weekly shop', especially if there's no free parking or decent bus....but it depends what you shop for & when.

Fruit & veg, nuts, spices are quite often cheaper at local shops/markets. Bread & milk more expensive; beer even or cheaper for polski stuff, butter/cheese, washing powder, spirits much more.
I can walk to my local shop & back in about 8 minutes & pay £1:40 for a loaf, or walk 30 mins and pay £1, pint of milk maybe 7p more locally.
If someone came up to me and said "here's 50p, go and get me bread & milk from TescBurySons", I'd tell 'em to shoo, I have 50p to spare.
50p/day for a week adds up; you can't get very cheap own brand stuff locally (Happy Shopper stuff can be on a par).

I do think you should get a discount* for using a self-serve till.
I also think there should be a 'men only' till At least one that swallows up your shopping if you don't pack & pay within 7 seconds of the last item being scanned. Sort of like Lidl/Aldi with a sporting twist.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Down south many are now running self service checkouts. One of the things that set Lidl apart from the others was the absence of those ******* tills. But no more. Some branches don't have them, usually because the demographic arrive in cars and do bigger shops, so self service checkouts are not practical.
I don't know how you work that out, Sainsburys have introduced self service checkouts specifically for trolleys and the big shop with larger packing areas and doing away with the shelf for baskets so you can park your trolley up.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
I persisted with using the staffed tills for some time after the introduction of self service ones. That is until the day I had the misfortune to visit the Tesco Express in the Luton Armadale.
As queued I noticed that the chap serving wasn’t speaking to any of the customers. He scanned the goods, then held out his hand for the money which he took, placed in the till and then started scanning the next customers. Strange I thought so when it came to my turn he scanned my goods then held out his hand for the money. I could clearly see the price on the display but thought no it’s not to much for him to say the price and please. So I just stood there. He didn’t say anything just kept his hand out. I thought I’m not going to crack first. After about 3 minutes we were still staring at each other. I began to doubt myself, perhaps he didn’t speak English or perhaps he was mute. Eventually he said the price still no please with his hand out. I made a point of placing the money on the till. No thank you. He picked it up handed me the change. I took my shopping and left. The only words spoken between us was when he finally said the price.
Ever since I use the self service unless I can use a till with a cashier I recognise as being one of the friendly ones.
That sure is Luton.

I persisted with using the staffed tills for some time after the introduction of self service ones. That is until the day I had the misfortune to visit the Tesco Express in the Luton Armadale.
As queued I noticed that the chap serving wasn’t speaking to any of the customers. He scanned the goods, then held out his hand for the money which he took, placed in the till and then started scanning the next customers. Strange I thought so when it came to my turn he scanned my goods then held out his hand for the money. I could clearly see the price on the display but thought no it’s not to much for him to say the price and please. So I just stood there. He didn’t say anything just kept his hand out. I thought I’m not going to crack first. After about 3 minutes we were still staring at each other. I began to doubt myself, perhaps he didn’t speak English or perhaps he was mute. Eventually he said the price still no please with his hand out. I made a point of placing the money on the till. No thank you. He picked it up handed me the change. I took my shopping and left. The only words spoken between us was when he finally said the price.
Ever since I use the self service unless I can use a till with a cashier I recognise as being one of the friendly ones.
I usually go to the supermarket to do some shopping not pass small talk with the workers.

Same here, I do always offer a smile and a request 'be kind to me, I'm not as quick as I once was' - it usually works.
Better than the grumpy collective at Morrison's.
My local Morrisons has the biggest tool that I have ever met. He does the tobacco and lottery counter. I am normally a very affable type of bloke but the other day he got my blood boiling.
They have outside the store one of those Amazon pick up boxes.
So there are about five of us queuing and this clown is faffing about with a parcel, he then puts it down and disappears out the back and comes back with another, and then turns his back on the queue opens a cupboard and pulls out another. All this was done at the speed of a giant tortouse. I lost it and had to explain to him three times the difference between a customer and a parcel.
He started arguing that he had to do this before a certain time. So I stuck my hand on the parcel and said this is a parcel we are customers, we are customers this is a parcel, parcel customer, customer parcel.
I then told him that if he moved a bit quicker he wouldn't be such a fat c*nt.
I reported him to the manager and strangely enough he has been very respectful since.
So its the auto tills for me to avoid dealing with idiots, I now buy my fags and lottery elsewhere.

Yeah, for a 'weekly shop', especially if there's no free parking or decent bus....but it depends what you shop for & when.

Fruit & veg, nuts, spices are quite often cheaper at local shops/markets. Bread & milk more expensive; beer even or cheaper for polski stuff, butter/cheese, washing powder, spirits much more.
I can walk to my local shop & back in about 8 minutes & pay £1:40 for a loaf, or walk 30 mins and pay £1, pint of milk maybe 7p more locally.
If someone came up to me and said "here's 50p, go and get me bread & milk from TescBurySons", I'd tell 'em to shoo, I have 50p to spare.
50p/day for a week adds up; you can't get very cheap own brand stuff locally (Happy Shopper stuff can be on a par).

I do think you should get a discount* for using a self-serve till.
I also think there should be a 'men only' till At least one that swallows up your shopping if you don't pack & pay within 7 seconds of the last item being scanned. Sort of like Lidl/Aldi with a sporting twist.
If you spend a tenner a week and dont drive its possible it might work out cheaper to shop local, but generally if you spend more, you will save more.

Walking to the local shop (600m) or driving to the local supermarket (10 mile round trip).
Typical car ruunning costs are £0.45 per mile hence I've spent £4.50 driving to the nearest supermarket.
That's a lot of shopping I have to do to make a net saving.

Somewhat annoys me that one of my neighbours will drive to the supermarket in the next town to buy a paper and a packet of fags instead of the 1/2 mile walk to the local shop.

Typical car ruunning costs are £0.45 per mile hence I've spent £4.50 driving to the nearest supermarket.
I'm aware of depreciation, however a car driving 10 miles at 35MPG with fuel costing 1.25 is less than 2 quid.
The price of a bottle of Jack Daniels between your local shop and supermarket is more than a fiver.

I then told him that if he moved a bit quicker he wouldn't be such a fat c*nt.
I reported him to the manager and strangely enough he has been very respectful since.
So its the auto tills for me to avoid dealing with idiots, I now buy my fags and lottery elsewhere.
Please tell me you really, really said that. :D

Walking to the local shop (600m) or driving to the local supermarket (10 mile round trip).

Somewhat annoys me that one of my neighbours will drive to the supermarket in the next town to buy a paper and a packet of fags instead of the 1/2 mile walk to the local shop.
My issue is, often, due to the car I happen to have;)...end up sometimes going to Callander & back..or similar...for a pint of milk. Round cost....around £12.00/ £15.00.