Unexpected thieving in the bagging area

1963. Yep, a long time ago. Still at school and went to work for one of the old Arkwright type corner shops.
Old Mrs Whatsername would come in, leave a list with the owner (who did wear a brown overall) and he'd put all the items in a box and write down the cost in a little exercise book.
I would then put the box in the front of my bike (with a big, open basket type thingy) and pedal it round to Mrs Whatsername's house.
Beat this home delivery thing by at least 40 years.
Mrs Whatsername would then come in at the end of the week to settle the bill when she'd no doubt complain one of the eggs was smashed because one of us had put the packet of Daz on top of them.
Sometimes I'd even get sixpence from Mrs Whatsername (though not often).
G-g-g-gr-Granvile walt!

I can understand the boarding card scan if it was for the difference between paying duty free or not on booze but for a bottle of water, it's fecking ridiculous.
Think of all the water, biscuits, crisps, sweets, nuts etc sold in a day & it'll soon add up to a tidy sum.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Think of all the water, biscuits, crisps, sweets, nuts etc sold in a day & it'll soon add up to a tidy sum.
Indeed but why then do the staff say it's not a shop decision but for security/duty free reasons

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Because they're paid to say that. I always refuse to give it to them and they just sell me the stuff anyway
I just say fair enough, leave them the stuff on the counter and wonder off to Duty free world or world of whisky to see what freebie drams I can blag

All this bloody moaning.
What's wrong with you lot?
Just get the Mrs to do the bloody shopping.
Do you think I'm made of money? A £50 shop would run to at least £100 if she was left unsupervised. Fucks sake man, think it through!

How the blinking flip (its the int cell) do you creatures manage to operate your smart phones or the thing that you are using to 'chat' on the internet if a self service machine is beyond you? It is very simple you pass the item from one side to the other and it scans it for you. It is so easy, my 4 year old does it for me. At the end, if you have bought any items, that by law, or out of a sense of moral obligation, you need to prove that you are of age to buy, the supervisor will put their pin number or card or whatevs, to show that this has been done. This is called accountability, unless of course, you would rather that your children/grandchildren/niece etc were buying Special Brew or sniffing glue (for which you would, of course, blame the supermarket for selling it to them). As for the jobs: Yes, the convenience stores may have closed down, but who wants to pay £1 for a pint of milk and 50p for the privilege of using a card, which is IF you can find somewhere to park outside. Less people on tills means more people stacking shelves and helping people., unless you can site your sources for the laying off of staff? If you ARE genuinely concerned about the laying off of staff, then stop using eBay, Amazon, stop shopping online altogether, and shop at your local co-op and don't torture yourself with the self service machines, which didn't appear yesterday, you know that they are there. Supermarkets add money on at the front end, to negate the losses through shoplifting, and anyone who has kids will know, you get to the car and little Johnny magics a creme egg from nowhere. What are you going to do? You have conniptions about soldiers wearing their capbadge round the side of their heads, or that they moan because they were shouted at, but cant stand a computer beeping at you? Get a grip fellas, for Cliffs sake.....

Indeed but why then do the staff say it's not a shop decision but for security/duty free reasons
For the same reason Health and Safety is quoted when people don't want to do something. It pretty much stops most people from going any further in being 'awkward'.

Less people on tills means more people stacking shelves and helping people., unless you can site your sources for the laying off of staff?
I doubt very much that there'll be more staff stacking shelves. Those that leave just won't be replaced.

Also why would you need more people stacking shelves? I don't recall vistas of Russian style bare shelves in the days before auto tills came into being.

Personally I prefer the human touch - from check out girls. Personally I like to take things slowly and have a chat, although if there is someone behind me I try to go as fast as I can.

I doubt very much that there'll be more staff stacking shelves. Those that leave just won't be replaced.

Also why would you need more people stacking shelves? I don't recall vistas of Russian style bare shelves in the days before auto tills came into being.
The reason you don't recall "vistas of Russian style bare shelves in the days before auto tills came into being" is because it didn't happen. No one said it happened, no one hinted it happened, no one even considered this event until you mentioned it....

The fact that you "doubt very much that there'll be more staff stacking shelves " doesn't make it so.

Personally I prefer the human touch - from check out girls. Personally I like to take things slowly and have a chat, although if there is someone behind me I try to go as fast as I can.
Checkout girls in my local Tesco are fit as fook. I use the checkouts just to have a perv at them.

Lidl is the answer, they bowl, I field, marvellous and quicker than me scanning and cursing.
Down south many are now running self service checkouts. One of the things that set Lidl apart from the others was the absence of those ******* tills. But no more. Some branches don't have them, usually because the demographic arrive in cars and do bigger shops, so self service checkouts are not practical.

Remember - in a court of law you can argue you are a bit autistic, and they are called 'check outs'. You just got a bit - confused.

What Tesco store is it? Just asking for a friend.....

My missus went to Tesco's last week and tried out one of those gadgets where you scan the item as you put it in the trolley. The theory is that when you get to the self service checkout, you just pay straight away because everything is already registered on the gadget. You don't have to hang around doing it all again. Just pay and go.

Brilliant concept except for the fact that you can't go anywhere until a member of staff has rummaged through your shopping to check that you haven't slipped in items without registering them and thus not having to pay for them. Take into account that that single member of staff is checking the shopping going through several tills and you have to hang around until they finally get to you means that it's a longer process than just handing everything to a cashier like you used to do.

What's really happening is that Tesco's save money on staffing by having you do the work. The next logical thing is that they will be asking you to turn up early for your shopping trip so you can put the stuff on the shelves before you put it in your trolley.

The other scam is asking to scan your boarding card.
Letting them do so means they get to claim back the VAT on everyone who leaves the EU's purchases.

Fukkem, as if I don't get it they ain't.
No. It's to validate that you are entitled to purchase the item VAT free in a VAT and duty free zone as you will be exporting it. They don't get anything back. Anyway, books and newspapers don't attract VAT, consumables like food are not included, and neither is any VATable service provided in the lounge.

VAT reclaims can only be made by persons permanently resident outside of the EU at the time of export, in accompanied hand or hold baggage and the goods and VATRES forms must be presented to a Customs Officer outbound on the day of departure. Furthermore a VAT Retail Export Scheme form must be completed by the retailer who must also be allowed to operate the scheme by HMRC.

The boarding card data is probably for research. Don't think the research is very good, as the Smith's in my airport sells (or doesn't) Yachting Monthly, Horse and Hound, and bizarrely, a range of Haynes manuals for Honda Civic, Fiat Punto and Renault Laguna etc. Not one aviation magazine though...?

Last edited:
Checkout girls in my local Tesco are fit as fook. I use the checkouts just to have a perv at them.

Mate some of them here are essence.

My missus went to Tesco's last week and tried out one of those gadgets where you scan the item as you put it in the trolley. The theory is that when you get to the self service checkout, you just pay straight away because everything is already registered on the gadget. You don't have to hang around doing it all again. Just pay and go.

Brilliant concept except for the fact that you can't go anywhere until a member of staff has rummaged through your shopping to check that you haven't slipped in items without registering them and thus not having to pay for them. Take into account that that single member of staff is checking the shopping going through several tills and you have to hang around until they finally get to you means that it's a longer process than just handing everything to a cashier like you used to do.

What's really happening is that Tesco's save money on staffing by having you do the work. The next logical thing is that they will be asking you to turn up early for your shopping trip so you can put the stuff on the shelves before you put it in your trolley.

Not every trolley on scan as you shop is checked. A random few are or if someone thinks you're iffy a check can be forced on the system.

I also don’t need bags and probably have not carried one into the shop. With self service or scan as you go I can put everything in the trolley and then into my car.
All pretty simple

I can go through a self service till or scan as you go with ease, rarely being selected for an audit, and if I have alcohol, pills etc it doesn’t call for authorisation until I’ve scanned everything, so it’s one check only.

I like them because I don’t have to queue when there are trolley loads at the tills, and I can also easily unload my copper coins followed by card payment for the balance. (I did find that if I accidentally overpaid in coins & notes then they would get their revenge by refunding me in coppers)

A lady friend though is constantly checked.
However she does do big shops with me and small shops on her own, uses scan as you go to price check everything - (it probably flags her for high numbers of scan and cancel) and she also refuses to weigh and print a label for loose veg, so gets the assistant to do it after (she doesn’t want lots of individual plastic bags for veg, and still refuses to just do a label)