Unexpected thieving in the bagging area

Ultimately, if the bean counters decide that increased losses through theft outweigh the savings made on staff, that is exactly what will happen.

I'm touched that anyone believes that customer convenience has ever come into the equation in any way. They are probably the kind of people who would probably be quite happy taking their turn in stacking the shelves, as well.

I should shut up. There may be a Tesco executive reading this thread and I don't want to be giving them ideas.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I prefer the Self Service tills for the following reasons:-
A) There's normally no smelly hippo sized chavette with 3 or more snotty nosed whiny brats in front.
B) It's quicker than some old granny working at the till who wants to know if you're having a nice day. (Yes, I'm a miserable cunt at times)
C) The very same old granny will chat to the customer about what she's purchased and how she prefers another brand.
D) I want to get the whole shopping thing over as quick as possible, easier done on the self service tills. (unless out with the Mrs who uses the staffed tills).

I'm touched that anyone believes that customer convenience has ever come into the equation in any way. They are probably the kind of people who would probably be quite happy taking their turn in stacking the shelves, as well.
I can stand in a queue behind several people with trolley loads of shopping or swipe a few items through self service and **** off, thus not wasting time stood in Tescos. It sounds like a good deal to me.

Prior to supermarkets, in some shops the shopkeeper would pick up all your goods for you, maybe we should go back to that?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
They've beaten you to it. It's called home delivery.
And a poor replacement it is too, I used Sainsburys online once (and only once), ordered a certain item and it got replaced by a totally different item as what I ordered wasn't in stock (still in the same genre - meat), at least Arkwright will tell you he hasn't got and suggest a replacement with teh caveat that you can say no.

I like using them as well, quick and convenient for most things. But then I like to be a bit modern and not live in the last century.

As for those pretending to protect jobs by using the tills, you do this by using a supermarket that has put countless smaller shops out of business?
I don’t use them because I’m a fücking spaz.

And even you can’t argue against that.

They've beaten you to it. It's called home delivery.
1963. Yep, a long time ago. Still at school and went to work for one of the old Arkwright type corner shops.
Old Mrs Whatsername would come in, leave a list with the owner (who did wear a brown overall) and he'd put all the items in a box and write down the cost in a little exercise book.
I would then put the box in the front of my bike (with a big, open basket type thingy) and pedal it round to Mrs Whatsername's house.
Beat this home delivery thing by at least 40 years.
Mrs Whatsername would then come in at the end of the week to settle the bill when she'd no doubt complain one of the eggs was smashed because one of us had put the packet of Daz on top of them.
Sometimes I'd even get sixpence from Mrs Whatsername (though not often).

I persisted with using the staffed tills for some time after the introduction of self service ones. That is until the day I had the misfortune to visit the Tesco Express in the Luton Armadale.
As queued I noticed that the chap serving wasn’t speaking to any of the customers. He scanned the goods, then held out his hand for the money which he took, placed in the till and then started scanning the next customers. Strange I thought so when it came to my turn he scanned my goods then held out his hand for the money. I could clearly see the price on the display but thought no it’s not to much for him to say the price and please. So I just stood there. He didn’t say anything just kept his hand out. I thought I’m not going to crack first. After about 3 minutes we were still staring at each other. I began to doubt myself, perhaps he didn’t speak English or perhaps he was mute. Eventually he said the price still no please with his hand out. I made a point of placing the money on the till. No thank you. He picked it up handed me the change. I took my shopping and left. The only words spoken between us was when he finally said the price.
Ever since I use the self service unless I can use a till with a cashier I recognise as being one of the friendly ones.

I mostly use either Morrisons (convenient to the office) or Waitrose (on the way to the office)
Morrisions spent ages trying to convince people to use the self service checkouts, usually by one off the staff coming up to you and saying "can I help you use the self service checkout sir, it will be quicker".

After my experience I simply started refusing, stating that I'd rather deal with a real person than a computer.

I would also rather that people staffed the checkouts rather than electronic boxes. Yes, there is the odd waddler or granny who can't find her change but mostly the people are great and friendly.

Waitrose is a no-pressure shop, you have the option to use self-service but there are always staff on the checkouts, unlike a certain Tesco Metro I used where there were no manned checkouts until I asked a hipster who was stacking shelves to serve me. Waitrose coffee is better than Costa too.

Ultimately, if the bean counters decide that increased losses through theft outweigh the savings made on staff, that is exactly what will happen.

I should shut up. There may be a Tesco executive reading this thread and I don't want to be giving them ideas.
Wasn't stripping down the services offered to the bone a key factor in Ikea's success? My sister stopped using them after it turned out they didn't know when a desired item would be in, certainly couldn't all her when and if they did come in but suggested she pop in from time to time. She didn't.

I stopped using them because the sell tinned good which need to be kept in the fridge. Plus I make better meatballs then them.

I don’t use them because I’m a fücking spaz.

And even you can’t argue against that.
There appears to be quite a few spaz's on this thread.

Perhaps the supermarkets could introduce a "trusted shopper" scheme, similar to Trusted Traveller/Global Entry, where those known not to thieve get a discount off their purchases.
I had one in front of me in my local supermarket last year: Respectable looking business woman, expensively well presented, suit type dress. The Robo-till gave her serious grief constantly refusing items and demanding a re-swipe of the barcode, demanding things be bagged, the whole kettle of fish, not a pleasant shopping experience. She wandered off and the woamn supervising the 8 self-service checkouts waves me over. I get to the till and look at the screen.......the respectable looking woman had obviously just given up and walked out in frustration with her bagged shopping without paying as the till screen was frozen up.

I had one in front of me in my local supermarket last year: Respectable looking business woman, expensively well presented, suit type dress. The Robo-till gave her serious grief constantly refusing items and demanding a re-swipe of the barcode, demanding things be bagged, the whole kettle of fish, not a pleasant shopping experience. She wandered off and the woamn supervising the 8 self-service checkouts waves me over. I get to the till and look at the screen.......the respectable looking woman had obviously just given up and walked out in frustration with her bagged shopping without paying as the till screen was frozen up.
I shop once, maybe twice a week, so there's usually a bottle of wine & several bottles of beer involved.
Tried the robotwat till once.
Scan wine: Wait for assistance.
Assistant arrives & OK's the purchase.
Tell assistant I have beer too as she wanders off but presumably she's deaf.
Scan beer: Wait for assistance.
Assistant arrives & OK's the purchase.
Point out I have several more beers, so she spends minutes trying to make the stupid system OK everything & in the end scans each bottle herself then wanders off.
Scan pair of nail scissors: Wait for assistance...

At this point, I walked over to her, where she was dealing with another pissed off punter & pointed out she'd need help putting my stuff back on the shelves as I'd had enough.
This was Tesco, who have now introduced a "steal what you like" system that involves customers scammnning their purchases with a gadget & having their card details registered.

I bet they're selling a lot of 'carrots'...

...........Tesco, who have now introduced a "steal what you like" system that involves customers scammnning their purchases with a gadget & having their card details registered.

I bet they're selling a lot of 'carrots'...
Bloody Tesco.
I called in there late one evening to grab a few things. Took them to the till, all closed, except for the self feck out one, so I tried scanning the items I had. Couldn't get the damn thing to work, turned round and asked a member of staff if they could help me. "No !" was their answer. I said, "Oh well, bye then," and left it all where it was. Luckily our local co-op was still open.

The machine went all 'alarmed' when I put through brown potatoes 3 times, once for the garlic, once for the ginger and once for the brown potatoes, fooken smart those machines, now I always put a 5p can of tomatoes through in between. For the last year, if you went off my receipts all I have eaten is brown potatoes and canned tomatoes.

Can't wait for the beer shop to go the same way, it will be all Ice and mixers.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The other scam is asking to scan your boarding card.
Letting them do so means they get to claim back the VAT on everyone who leaves the EU's purchases.
Fukkem, as if I don't get it they ain't.

As for robotills & thievery: In the end, it's not the supermarkets who lose money, as they just charge more to cover theft & us stupidly honest types are the ones who pay.
I can understand the boarding card scan if it was for the difference between paying duty free or not on booze but for a bottle of water, it's fecking ridiculous.

I can understand the boarding card scan if it was for the difference between paying duty free or not on booze but for a bottle of water, it's fecking ridiculous.
You seen the tax on water these days? It's alot seeing as we get the stuff free from the sky!

I would rather him flailed with a cat O nine tails and the dipped in a bath of salty lemon juice.

The ****!
Or worse - banned from doing his shopping at any other till point!

I'm a sadistic bastard at heart.

The machine went all 'alarmed' when I put through brown potatoes 3 times, once for the garlic, once for the ginger and once for the brown potatoes, fooken smart those machines, now I always put a 5p can of tomatoes through in between. For the last year, if you went off my receipts all I have eaten is brown potatoes and canned tomatoes.

Can't wait for the beer shop to go the same way, it will be all Ice and mixers.
Brown potatoes?