Unexpected letter from HMRC

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Jagythistle, Apr 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just received a letter from HMRC Which says

'I have been advised you will be an MOD reservist from 6 April 2009.

Would you please let me know if you will be receiving any income from this.'

I've not had one of these in 23 years, anyone been sent one before??
  2. No, not received one and haven't done for years. But then again they did send me a new tax code letter for the 6th April onwards saying I would be paying 40%, which is complete bullsh!t. So I don't trust any letter they send out right now.
  3. I got a similar letter once.

It was to confirm that my TA income was a second income and therefore had a D0 tax code.
  4. D0 tax code?

what is this?

My tax bloke says that I must pay full 40% on all TA pay albeit that you can claim back NI if you are in full time PAYE employment elsewhere.
  5. I pay 20% (BR) on TA pay and got a letter the other week to confirm it for this year - now last year. You must be rich Mr Tracey!

Its only two years after I told JPAC to change my tax code as I had finished being a student (they didnt).
  6. I'm not in the TA but I received tax code letter telling me I was working in a care home. I know I visit my mother in a care home but I didn't think I would be taxed for the privilge. Took a couple of letters to sort it out.
  7. Pretty sure it is "D0".

Basically means I pay the same as you, 40% on all income with no deductions. I too have to claim back any excess NI.