unemployed for 2 years but wants a career in the army?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by tankman7, May 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I have a friend who has been out of work for a while now coming close to 2 years. All he has done really with his time is become huge and extremely fit. Do you rekon that because he has been out of work for such an extensive period that he will not be able to join the army/pass the interview? Any thoughts on this one?
  2. Wow, he sounds motivated. 2 years doing shag all because he doesn't like what's on offer or is very lazy? Just the sort we need.
  3. Tell him to go for it as long as he wants to join for a career and not for a job.
    The fitness thing might make him stand out though as most new recruits are a bit limp thee days.
  4. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

No harm in trying. Best to think up some plausible answers to the obvious question though.
  5. As you're posting this in the officers' forum, I'm assuming that he would like to commission. If this is the case, he will be asked at AOSB why he had been out of work for such a long time. As others have said, it doesn't look good in terms of commitment or motivation.

What he will need to do is show that this isn't something that he has chosen to do because he can't think of anything else. I would recommend that he goes to do the AOSB briefing as soon as possible. Realistically, they will probably defer his main board for 12 or 24 months so that he can get life experience.
  6. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Maybe he could oil up and pull a few poses in front of them to prove that he hasn't been wasting his time? I expect they'll be very impressed; personally I'm always pleased to see that my taxes are being spent creatively...
  7. 'Your Friend' wasn't being detained at Her Majesty's pleasure was he? I think that could throw a spanner in the works...
  8. Two years unemployed and therefore unrecorded? Excellent, that should therefore be spun up as 6 months instructing at an AT school in NZ, which has sadly now closed, 12 months volunteering overseas on the last 12 months of a 3 year project which has now disbanded and 6 months "leaisure gap", just to show he isn't too earnest. If asked what he enjoyed most, if going RE building a creche, if going infantry trekking to and from the medical station in the ulu, if going cavalry getting to drive the project's sports 4x4...
  9. He sounds like me straight after uni for about 2.5 years.

Except I was working
  10. He could just make out he was getting fit to join the army? sounds like as good a lie as any.
  11. He has outstanding qualifications for 49 Para!
  12. Ah but integrity issues should they find out he just didn't want a job
  13. Has "your mate" been claiming any type of “benefits” in the two years he was off? If so I would suggest he is royally screwed.
  14. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Maybe he could claim that he had been working as Doctor Who's assistant - thus getting around the universe and doing a bit of good - but the Tardis had malfunctioned and he couldn't be taken back to the exact day that 'The Doctor' had first met him...?
  15. Just tell them that you wanted to take some time to consider your options. They'll fall for it.