unemployed for 2 years but wants a career in the army?

Hi I have a friend who has been out of work for a while now coming close to 2 years. All he has done really with his time is become huge and extremely fit. Do you rekon that because he has been out of work for such an extensive period that he will not be able to join the army/pass the interview? Any thoughts on this one?

Wow, he sounds motivated. 2 years doing shag all because he doesn't like what's on offer or is very lazy? Just the sort we need.

Tell him to go for it as long as he wants to join for a career and not for a job.
The fitness thing might make him stand out though as most new recruits are a bit limp thee days.

chimera

LE
No harm in trying. Best to think up some plausible answers to the obvious question though.

As you're posting this in the officers' forum, I'm assuming that he would like to commission. If this is the case, he will be asked at AOSB why he had been out of work for such a long time. As others have said, it doesn't look good in terms of commitment or motivation.

What he will need to do is show that this isn't something that he has chosen to do because he can't think of anything else. I would recommend that he goes to do the AOSB briefing as soon as possible. Realistically, they will probably defer his main board for 12 or 24 months so that he can get life experience.

cpunk

LE
Maybe he could oil up and pull a few poses in front of them to prove that he hasn't been wasting his time? I expect they'll be very impressed; personally I'm always pleased to see that my taxes are being spent creatively...

Two years unemployed and therefore unrecorded? Excellent, that should therefore be spun up as 6 months instructing at an AT school in NZ, which has sadly now closed, 12 months volunteering overseas on the last 12 months of a 3 year project which has now disbanded and 6 months "leaisure gap", just to show he isn't too earnest. If asked what he enjoyed most, if going RE building a creche, if going infantry trekking to and from the medical station in the ulu, if going cavalry getting to drive the project's sports 4x4...

mcclurg said:
He could just make out he was getting fit to join the army? sounds like as good a lie as any.
Ah but integrity issues should they find out he just didn't want a job

cpunk

LE
Maybe he could claim that he had been working as Doctor Who's assistant - thus getting around the universe and doing a bit of good - but the Tardis had malfunctioned and he couldn't be taken back to the exact day that 'The Doctor' had first met him...?

B

Biscuits_AB

Just tell them that you wanted to take some time to consider your options. They'll fall for it.

Did you, sorry, your mate not get really bored? How much daytime tv. and speed can one take!?!

Did he go traveling? Do Charity work? Compete in marathons? Has he any qualifications? He must have done something!!

When asked at AOSB what he has been doing for two years it has too be something other than 'not much, just chilling out!'

What have you been living on?

Regards

(100th post...I think that is a reason to celebrate tonight, was worried I wouldn't find an excuse!)

Galileo82 said:
Did you, sorry, your mate not get really bored? How much daytime tv. and speed can one take!?!

Did he go traveling? Do Charity work? Compete in marathons? Has he any qualifications? He must have done something!!

When asked at AOSB what he has been doing for two years it has too be something other than 'not much, just chilling out!'

Regards

(100th post...I think that is a reason to celebrate tonight, was worried I wouldn't find an excuse!)
That always gets me when people say that haven't worked for a few months let alone years. What do they live on and where.
Collecting money for doing nothing to me seems like stealing so I couldn't personally do the whole dole thing.

FatBoyGeorge said:
Is this the same waster that has been suffering from depression? Click HERE to remind yourself of your other bone thread. A great use of your first two posts.

Maybe you, sorry, your "friend" should get his lazy arse down the ACIO. Shouldn't be too much of an effort. I'm sure you've, sorry, he has got plenty of stored energy.
Wow, talk about spreading out your posts

That gem was from over 10 months ago

ugly

LE
Ian1983 said:
Galileo82 said:

Regards

That always gets me when people say that haven't worked for a few months let alone years. What do they live on and where.
Collecting money for doing nothing to me seems like stealing so I couldn't personally do the whole dole thing
I have managed 5 months with a family 2 cars, a FOB mortgage and still not had any work apart from a day every couple of weeks or so, black economy keeps the wolf from the door. I didnt sign on so why should I declare a few quid thats kept us out of social?