Underweight & lanky

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Zer0, Jan 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all, just a repost from a different thread.

I'm waiting to hear about my second attempt at selection [all went well for me the first time, just someone made a c*** up calculating my BMI and got pulled out after the 1.5 run and sent home on a coach with an angry scottish driver.. I couldnt understand a word he said, but I digress..], Its taken 2 and a half years but finally my BMI has crept up and I got the green tick at 19.1.

I weigh around 64kg and am a right lanky barsteward with a high metabolism, gaining muscle mass is a nightmare and while Im fine with the jerry can carry, my pull-ups/press-ups leave a lot to be desired so I'm training hard to improve the situation but I'm concerned that im going to end up working off what i've gained. I know muscle weighs more than fat..and I have neither of those, but its a catch 22 situation;

a) Don't exert too much, then show up heavy enough but hopelessly rubbish

b) continue to man up, work hard and potentially trade what little fat I have for nothing. leaving me reasonably capable but seriously underweight

At our local careers office, they only send you to ADSC after you pass a mini practice selection at fulwood barracks so I was previously deemed physically capable of passing, but I'd rather not "just scrape through", signing up has been all I've wanted to do since primary school.. and being 22 and working in a supermarket does not impress the ladies as one would hope.

So, with all this in mind I'm after some advice. I stuff my face with good food, train hard and drink guiness but gains are small and slow, does anyone have any tips?

Being ripped on for being skinny and lanky I can probably deal with, but screwing this up is a different matter. I've tried a few supplements but havent noticed an improvement. I've heard good stuff about the maximuscle range but at £40 a pop I'd like to know a bit more before I coucgh up, anyone know about them?

any and all help would be top, cheers
  2. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
  3. How tall are you?
    Don't bother with any of them shite supplements, the only one you should have which i hightly recommend is whey protein.
    Lift HEAVY and eat BIG, the only marathons you should be doing is to the fridge.
  4. I'm 22 and just over the six foot mark - 6'1"/6'2"

5. also, if it helps I'm hitting up around 40-50 press-ups but at selection couldn't muster up a single pull-up, got damn close though. I did get bonus points for not giving up from the staff sgt, it wasnt much consolation.
  6. Whey protein shakes (twice daily) worked for me. I managed to gain 2,5 kilo's in 8 weeks. My fat percentage went down a little bit but my BMI improved.

Also try adding nuts to your diet. They're very high in calories and unsaturated fat.
  7. You sound like you genuinely want to get in and I honestly wish you the best of luck fella. Go to Argos, get a set of push-up stands and a pull-up bar and just keep banging them out any chance you get. Every time you walk through the doorway with the bar, get on it and start banging them out. Every time you walk past the room with the stands, start banging them out. Good luck, with your attitude it will come.
  8. I'm in exactly the same boat as you 6'1" and was only 60kg for selection, I passed the BMI by the skin of my teeth (literally 18.2 or there about!).

I have managed to get 3-4kg on in the last few weeks but it has been a case of an extra meal a day (just added an extra sandwich/pasta and an apple or orange) and increasing my weights that I am lifting.

Having been 60kgs since I was 15 and now being 22 I too thought it was impossible but it can be done. Good luck and keep going!
  9. Thanks everyone for all your positive comments and suggestions. I'll keep at it.

Kebab anyone?
  10. You can have my beer belly if it would help.
  11. If you are still unable to do pull-ups do chick ones. Use a low bar and keep your heels on the floor with your body at a 45 degree angle. Beast yourself with these until you can do real ones.
  12. Does anyone know what the BMI upper and lower limits are?
  13. Don't go to the toilet for a few days before selection.