• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Underwater Knife Fighting Course - manual released!

As many of the Old and Bold will know, the Underwater Knife Fighting Course has a long history...

However knowledge of this "hardly-ever-spoken-about-except-in-hushed-wispers" course is about to be made public with the release this month of the training manual.

So stand by to field enquirys about how to get on the UKFC, and be alert for walts.

If we have surplus lerts, then stand by to be aloof...

I did mine in the A.T.C. as part of the RAF swimming proficiency test.

The parts of the course I fondly remember are;

a) Treading water in woollen swim pants with inadequate snake belt.
b) Removing scuff marks from poolside caused by black rubber flippers.
c) Speargun N.S.P.'s on exiting pool via ladder while holding up woollen swim pants with one hand.
d) Foolishly trusting vulcanised canvas - in any form.
e) Blanco-ing the snorkel's ping pong ball and boiling the black rubber of the face mask to get a tighter seal. No pun intended.

Them were the days.

I envy you all. I was a lowly Sloppo turned Sapper, did my AACC and was duly selected for the UWKF winter 79' intake.
Imagine my disbelief when I discovered my ex sloppo comrade "Spud Basher" was also on the same intake. We never liked eachother in the kitchens, now we were to face one another in the cold waters of P**le, armed only with a Fileting knife and the new improved "Patent German V-veggie Slicer".
To cut a long story short, Spud caught me on my pressure-valve with a hefty " out of the elbow" de-scaling movement, his QVC Fish knife honed sharp enough to detach the pressure-valve from my bottle. I tried to cull the loss of oxygen escaping by cupping my hands over the broken bottle thread, but the air passed thru the creases in my 18 Ounze Milling gloves.
My dreams of swimming with dolphins ended that day. Spud went on to become the bloke who stole potatoes with Chris Ryan in a bodged E&E Ex in Mestopotamia.

"You re only as sharp as your knife", I was once told by Lefty, how right he was.....

Don't forget to include the amendment covering the UWSDFRU course (underwater search dog flipper recovery unit). Renowned as a nailz course, I applied for mine at Fort George many years ago.

I was told that the UMTR (Mess tin repair) was a prerequisite for the main course which is of course the only reason I never bothered applying, I mean who wants to spend all that time learning all that theory and all those amendments to procedures along with some hundereds of hours of breath holding drills just to be told the main course is oversubscribed.

I would've been awesome at it as well, even had my own plastic whistle and everything.

I was told that the UMTR (Mess tin repair) was a prerequisite for the main course
Well **** me, I was advised to attend to AMIC course at Beaconsfield then despatched to the unit. My primary task on arrival was to waterproof all the training aids especially the OHP's and the film projector. Getting the oil drip flow just right in the little window when showing the training films was no mean feat at 10 metres depth.

Whereas the students could wear all versions of breathing systems, the instructors were obliged to hold their breath.

I learned a lot though I can tell you. With all of that experience, I eventually got a job filming the Titanic when it was found. Didn't even have to employ one of those mini sub gizmos either, just got down there and got on with it. ******* Hats!!

Have done the Phase 1 "holding onto a jerrycan full of concrete as it sinks" (I really think the £99.99 on-line course was dissapointing, and buying a piece of cord to recover the first (course recommended) jerrycan would have worked out cheaper than buying course recommended replacements at £20 before P&P (Also, thats a lot of P&P for one item, sure I can't get discount for bulk purchase?)). Can I now purchase the Phase 2 course please?

Well **** me, I was advised to attend to AMIC course at Beaconsfield then despatched to the unit. My primary task on arrival was to waterproof all the training aids especially the OHP's and the film projector. Getting the oil drip flow just right in the little window when showing the training films was no mean feat at 10 metres depth.

Whereas the students could wear all versions of breathing systems, the instructors were obliged to hold their breath.

I learned a lot though I can tell you. With all of that experience, I eventually got a job filming the Titanic when it was found. Didn't even have to employ one of those mini sub gizmos either, just got down there and got on with it. ******* Hats!!
That brings it all back. I used to deliver the Submarine Kick Start (SKS) course back in the seventies. 50% failure on that course ... 'CLOCKWISE you cuuuuuuunt' was often the call (which underwater sort of came out as 'CLOOBWOOBLE wooboowoo cluuuuuubbbb').

We were quite lucky in that we had a slide projector which functioned well at 40m, even though we only ever got issued 30m extension cables.

'Course, it's all done by PowerPoint now and they even allow women and gays on the course.

Latest Threads