Undersea cable interception - CDS Speech

Perhaps - but on shore they are more easily repaired, and your chances of getting away with it are low. I hope that somebody has paid attention to protecting key points.

Undersea cables are difficult and expensive to repair, and ships passing in international waters can be totally innocent looking, but be equipped with ROVs, divers, and so on.
Repair? This thread is about interception. You don't want to damage the cable, because a) it draws attention to your activities and b) if you've broken the cable, it is no longer carrying the information you seek to intercept.

Destroying cables is the modern equivalent of bombing the shit out of Dresden or Coventry. Today there are MUCH more effective ways of conducting operations against the enemy's telecommunications, and indeed that do not provoke actual war. Indeed, prevent it, in some/many cases.

Why is why there is no point in expanding this thread to cover all the other infrastructure in the sea. Not much point in intercepting a power cable, if it carries any intelligence at all, it will only be telemetry data. If you want to disrupt the enemy, then destroying it probably is your best bet. But that warrants its own thread.

Rab_C

Old-Salt
Repair? This thread is about interception. You don't want to damage the cable, because a) it draws attention to your activities and b) if you've broken the cable, it is no longer carrying the information you seek to intercept.

Destroying cables is the modern equivalent of bombing the shit out of Dresden or Coventry. Today there are MUCH more effective ways of conducting operations against the enemy's telecommunications, and indeed that do not provoke actual war. Indeed, prevent it, in some/many cases.

Why is why there is no point in expanding this thread to cover all the other infrastructure in the sea. Not much point in intercepting a power cable, if it carries any intelligence at all, it will only be telemetry data. If you want to disrupt the enemy, then destroying it probably is your best bet. But that warrants its own thread.
But as Yokel stated we in the UK get a hell of a lot of our power through subsea cables, so these are susceptible to being destroyed.

But as Yokel stated we in the UK get a hell of a lot of our power through subsea cables, so these are susceptible to being destroyed.
Indeed, which is why I suggested it warrants its own thread.

This thread is about intercepting subsea cables. The last thing you want to do if you are trying to derive intelligence from something is to destroy it.

Yokel

LE
Indeed, which is why I suggested it warrants its own thread.

This thread is about intercepting subsea cables. The last thing you want to do if you are trying to derive intelligence from something is to destroy it.
What about sabotage? Did I misread the original post as I thought it talked of various threats to underwater cables? Simply cutting them is technically simpler and therefore a greater threat - and from a great range of actors?

I imagine Moscow and Beijing have far easier sources of intelligence, starting with HUMINT and also things such as certain websites and Twitter feeds reporting that a submarine of a particular class has left Faslane, or what Typhoons and a tanker are heading North on a QRA mission, and it might be in response to a certain event, therefore I took them x minutes to responded?

Did the Soviet cables tapped by USN SEALS on behalf of the NSA in Operation Ivy Bells not consist of Copper ones, so the electromagnetic emissions could be captured? Also I believe they were not encrypted.

Optical fibre and encryption should make these things less likely.

What about sabotage? Did I misread the original post as I thought it talked of various threats to underwater cables? Simply cutting them is technically simpler and therefore a greater threat - and from a great range of actors?

I imagine Moscow and Beijing have far easier sources of intelligence, starting with HUMINT and also things such as certain websites and Twitter feeds reporting that a submarine of a particular class has left Faslane, or what Typhoons and a tanker are heading North on a QRA mission, and it might be in response to a certain event, therefore I took them x minutes to responded?

Did the Soviet cables tapped by USN SEALS on behalf of the NSA in Operation Ivy Bells not consist of Copper ones, so the electromagnetic emissions could be captured? Also I believe they were not encrypted.

Optical fibre and encryption should make these things less likely.
You are making assumptions, but let's put it this way.

If you knew how a submarine reactor worked, and there was a discussion about its weaknesses, and people had postulated X or Y, you would not be in a position to comment one way or the other, because that information is not in the public domain.

Yokel

LE
True. Hence my point about protecting all underwater and marine infrastructure, improving the awareness of innocent looking vessels that do not seem to simply transiting from one place to another, and encrypting data.

I am not making assumptions about and optical fibre being very difficult to tap without being detected, unlike copper cables. However, that is not the full story...

However, sabotage will still be easier than interception. Undersea cables have been put out of action by dredgers.

I will carry on with this on the OPV thread.

Thanks to the OP for the excellent topic. That's my evening sorted.

Destroying cables is the modern equivalent of bombing the shit out of Dresden or Coventry. T
True but it worked with Coventry. Alternatively cutting several cables would lead to a few necessary urgent repair jobs which would tie up assets and give a predictable target area. Military comms are probably even more duplicated than Xhamster feeds so as you say no real point in cutting them unless as I postulated above they could be bait.

However, sabotage will still be easier than interception. Undersea cables have been put out of action by dredgers.
On that point we are agreed.

SamYeager15

Swinger
Typically <10% most of the time.
I believe the recent power hiccup was caused by 5% (2 power generators) of power dropping out at once which then resulted in parts of the rail network being seriously affected. Knocking out 10% especially if timed to occur at peak usage would probably have a wider and longer lasting impact.

Yokel

LE
The thing is the inter-connector between Britain and France benefits both countries. As France is one hour ahead their peak demand times can be partly met by generating capacity on our side of the channel, and then an hour later French generating capacity responses to our demands.

The is very little spare capacity, so without that the grid would struggle at peak times.

Yokel

LE
If you go to this page on the Trinity House website, and look at 'GLA Aids to Navigation 2015 Review' you can find details of lighthouse and light ship sights, the Integrated differential GPA systems, radar beacons, and other aspects of maritime infrastructure.

Wind, wave, and tidal energy locations are shown on page 25.

Latest Threads