Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

underrated films.

Absolutely, one of my three favourite films. The others are Closely Observed Trains (bizarre black comedy about a Czechoslovak teenager joining the railway in the middle of WW2 under Nazi occupation, and getting drawn into the fringes of resistance activity),

Another of my all-time, top favourites not least because of a rather arousing scene involving a desk, a pair of plump, teenage, female buttocks and a date stamp (iirc).
Very atmospheric and crackingly shot (ooh, nearly had to edit to add: no pun intended.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Another of my all-time, top favourites not least because of a rather arousing scene involving a desk, a pair of plump, teenage, female buttocks and a date stamp (iirc).
Very atmospheric and crackingly shot (ooh, nearly had to edit to add: no pun intended.

Indeed, and then the investigation into the misuse of official Reich ink stamps on said buttocks.

Plus the opening sequence when the lead character's uncle, a magician, attempted to stop the German tanks rolling into Prague with the power of mental suggestion. Standing in their path. Tiananmen Square, without the happy ending...

Just watched Casablanca.......great film...gradually build-up to a crescendo at the end!

The best time watching it, I was volunteering for the Hammersmith Festival at their open-air screening a few years back. I should have been put into a high-vis vest for litter picking and other GDs but, because I turned up in black tie and the tallest tarboosh that the assembled had ever seen, I was dicked by the organisers to take a seat and consume as much vino & grub as they could shove at me.
Stunning movie and I will never tire of it.

Another proganda film which is very watchable, Went the Day Well. Think the full version is somewhere on Youtube.

Wasn't the 'The Eagle had Landed' partly inspired by this or am I just gibbering rubbish?
Parrot pie, Parrot pie.

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Hers one not often seen outside Italy, however it does have subtitles
its about a postmaster trying to better himself as his wife things they should move up a social class ( think about some officers wives you have met)
he pulls all sorts of stunts, I wont spoil it for you, gets caught out, and gets sent to mafia country
it really is funny as hell
and the scene where his wife visits and he fakes a kidnapping is the equal of any British comedy
I saw this in an Italian Cinema and pissed myself laughing

1601230574998.png

I had to look Steve Martin up on wiki to figure out when he stopped being funny. I doubt he’d be allowed to make The Jerk now (outstanding film); no one would bankroll The man with 2 Brains. For me his last great role was as the dentist in Little Shop of Horrors - all great underrated films. But then he lost his mojo.... or maybe I did!

Played the dentist a few times. Even I with my Olivieresque acting skills could not match Mr. Martin's performance here (I may have embellished my talent for mummery somewhat) but it was enormous fun.

I cannot get enough of Steve Buscemi, and think this is bloody marvellous...

Before I had kids I loved going to the pictures, renting films, mooching around HMV..... Streaming just isn't the same.

Some other films I liked that where not really main stream.
Shopping (1994). The sound track is brilliant and the story is not bad.

Pump up the Volume. Teen rebellion and angst and pirate radios.

Once the kids are asleep I will browse my DVD DB for some more golden film nuggets.

I saw it as “Harry, He’s Here to Help” on tv years ago. Darkly funny with some great acting. Yes, it’s fFrench.

AfricaExpat

Old-Salt
Hers one not often seen outside Italy, however it does have subtitles
its about a postmaster trying to better himself as his wife things they should move up a social class ( think about some officers wives you have met)
he pulls all sorts of stunts, I wont spoil it for you, gets caught out, and gets sent to mafia country
it really is funny as hell
and the scene where his wife visits and he fakes a kidnapping is the equal of any British comedy
I saw this in an Italian Cinema and pissed myself laughing

View attachment 507815
French film on a similar line. Only watched this once but did enjoy. Very funny.

People like us, a wartime era propaganda film written by Noel Coward

Millions like us? the film about the factory girls. If so agreed.

When eight bells toll was on the other day, I really like that film. Most definitely not sponsored by the Scottish tourist board but I would watch that rather than a Bond film any day. It is a shame it didn't develop into s series of films as planned but it tanked at the box office so that was the end of that.

The Quiller memorandum is another film on occasionally in the afternoon that is worth catching. Not a million miles a way from the Harry Palmer stuff but with George Segal starring.

slick

LE
Millions like us? the film about the factory girls. If so agreed.

When eight bells toll was on the other day, I really like that film. Most definitely not sponsored by the Scottish tourist board but I would watch that rather than a Bond film any day. It is a shame it didn't develop into s series of films as planned but it tanked at the box office so that was the end of that.

The Quiller memorandum is another film on occasionally in the afternoon that is worth catching. Not a million miles a way from the Harry Palmer stuff but with George Segal starring.
Couldn`t agree more. both films were very atmospheric, and the leads were superb in the roles. Both films have been on the box recently and haven`t aged a bit.

Tyk

LE
Some Mel Brookes films, let's be fair most of his are underrated, but top notch here are my personal favourites, not forgetting he'd not be allowed to make the vast majority of his films if he was trying to today. Much of his stuff is lampooning hit films or genres.

Blazing Saddles - Touted by utter morons as a racist film, when it's about Bart getting the better of the bigoted, stupid, inbred white folks. Superbly made and acted, Cleavon Little clearly struggled to keep a straight face through most of it.
Young Fankenstein - Silly and again a classic. BLUCHER!
Dracula, Dead and Loving It - A great take on Dracula and if you ignore the good comedy not far off the actual book.
History of the World Part 1 - Totally worth a watch if you want a laugh.
Spaceballs - A fun watch.

Plenty of others to pick from too.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
An old Ealing production
the bells go down 1943 with Tommy Trinder,James Mason,william hartnell and many other greats from the period
made as a homage to the volunteers of the AFS

My father used to work at Imperial College, one of the old boys there had joined the AFS as a youngster, the film came up in conversation, he said that was how it was, we was all mates, we did our best
we lost good mates
but we never thought of giving in

My Late Uncle , Bomber Command, said to me, those men were the ones who deserved all the praise, we had guns and bombs to fight back with, he recalls going through the city, and seeing fire hoses trailing everywhere, a burnt out fire appliance, and a young nurse trying to get a fireman to drink cold tea while her friend rubbed cream on his badly burnt face, 2 days they had been there and never gave up

Some Mel Brookes films, let's be fair most of his are underrated, but top notch here are my personal favourites, not forgetting he'd not be allowed to make the vast majority of his films if he was trying to today. Much of his stuff is lampooning hit films or genres.

Blazing Saddles - Touted by utter morons as a racist film, when it's about Bart getting the better of the bigoted, stupid, inbred white folks. Superbly made and acted, Cleavon Little clearly struggled to keep a straight face through most of it.
Young Fankenstein - Silly and again a classic. BLUCHER!
Dracula, Dead and Loving It - A great take on Dracula and if you ignore the good comedy not far off the actual book.
History of the World Part 1 - Totally worth a watch if you want a laugh.
Spaceballs - A fun watch.

Plenty of others to pick from too.
It's Fronkenshteen!

Bardeyai

Clanker
Having just watched Dead men don’t wear plaid (Still excellent), a shout out for all those 1940’s and 50’s film noirs. Especially if written by the likes of Dashiel Hammet (sp?)

Latest Threads