Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

underrated films.

Dredd - Apparently it didn't do well at the box office, but the story is solid (if fairly simple which is no bad thing), the acting is top notch, it's very gritty and rather brutal, the script is good, the characters are well developed and to top it off not a woke bone in sight.

Was on Saffer sat tv last night.
I recorded it.
watched the first few minutes, but as it was filmed here, I was busy location spotting as well!
I'll watch later - looks better than the stallone abortion already.

Arlington Road.

One of my all time faves.

Jeff Bridges plays a university lecturer who suspects a terrorist cell is operating out of his own neighbourhood. Family and FBI friends think he’s paranoid.

Excellent, but belongs in this thread.

ETA: Sex drive - a similar sort of movie, but a road trip across america for a teen to get laid rather than across europe. Some great lines, kinda moving and very funny. Loved the Amish.
That reminds me of "The Sure Thing", starring John Cusack and Goose, and directed by Rob Reiner, who seems to have disowned this film. It's yet another very underrated little flick and definitely worth the 90 minutes.

Was on Saffer sat tv last night.
I recorded it.
watched the first few minutes, but as it was filmed here, I was busy location spotting as well!
I'll watch later - looks better than the stallone abortion already.

The Stallone offering was funnier. I preferred it to the slightly anally retentive second go.

Another one along similar lines to The Crew is The Family. Mob bloke under witness protection with his family in France.

Sands of the Kalahari. Stanley Baker, Harry Andrews, Stuart Whitman and Susannah York. Plane crashes in the desert and the ensuing struggles of the survivors.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
The duellists: Ridley Scott’s first film, about 2 Napoleonic French officers who fight a duel every time they meet up. Including one on horseback “For the honour of the cavalry “.
It’s much better than I make it sound.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Another proganda film which is very watchable, Went the Day Well. Think the full version is somewhere on Youtube.

glad you reminded me off that

That is a fantastic film, well thought out and well played, no CGI just Stoic British humour and good manners and slow genteel drama
a point that might interest you, the filming was carried out in the village of Turville just west of high wycombe
if you visit it today and walk around you will recognise many of the scenes and backgrounds, not too far from the studios so if rain stopped play they could get back quickly
the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin was also used in the film scenes, and oddly it doubled up as St Barnabus in the Vicar of Dibley, the opening credits , an Aerial shot were filmed just up the road and feature the cutting on the M40
the village was also used in Midsummer Murders, Goodnight Mr Tom, a 1960s comedy and father came too, Chitty Chitty bang bang had parts of the film made on location in the area,little Britian also used the village and it appeared in a later series of Killing Eve
The Manor house featured in the Film no longer exists it was Stanwell Plae in Middlesex, and is now a gravel pit !
The pub in the village, the Bull and Butcher still exists, but tends to be busy,
if I am driving back from London I often stop off there for lunch if its not packed

mrboo

War Hero
Serenity was a brilliant film it came from a short run series from 2002 called firefly

Snap 2020-09-27 at 09.48.08.png

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
The duellists: Ridley Scott’s first film, about 2 Napoleonic French officers who fight a duel every time they meet up. Including one on horseback “For the honour of the cavalry “.
Dead men don’t wear plaid - a film noir comedy from the 80’s interspersed with clips from genuine film noir’s. Genius from start to finish and it’s star ( can’t remember his name!) was still very funny then.
Zombies Dawn of the Dead: the George A Romero biting satire (geddit!) on American consumerism where they hole up in a giant shopping mall. Many years later I was very impressed when I met a woman who had grown up Using that shopping mall in Pittsburgh.

Dead men don’t wear plaid - a film noir comedy from the 80’s interspersed with clips from genuine film noir’s. Genius from start to finish and it’s star ( can’t remember his name!) was still very funny then.
Zombies Dawn of the Dead: the George A Romero biting satire (geddit!) on American consumerism where they hole up in a giant shopping mall. Many years later I was very impressed when I met a woman who had grown up Using that shopping mall in Pittsburgh.
Steve Martin and of course Rachel Ward...

1. Little Big Man
2. Once Were Warriors
3. The Big Lebowski
4. Dead Mans Shoes
5. Hard Candy (already mentioned on the thread)

Tyk

LE

That is a damn good film decent story, decent acting, utterly superb locations, costumes and filming.

DAVE. Kelvin Klein and Sigourney Weaver. gentle comedy,clever storyline...Klein playing two characters,great ending !

DAVE. Kelvin Klein and Sigourney Weaver. gentle comedy,clever storyline...Klein playing two characters,great ending !
Kelvin Klein? Is he Calvin and Kevin’s brother?

HCL

Old-Salt

Steve Martin

Edit the trailer

Latest Threads