Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

underrated films.

slick

LE
Many thanks to yourself and @Joker62 although I still feel like a bit of a tit for not doing that meself.
I may have, I believe, a DVD or VHS of it somewhere.
Has anybody else seen it? (the movie, not my copy of it).

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds
I saw it a few months ago, I think it was on Talking Pictures channel. It was quite a good storyline from an interesting period in history.

The Crew.

One of my all time favourites. Bunch of crocked old retired wise guys get themselves into trouble with a cocaine kingpin.

Sounds rather jolly, I must investigate further.

Stabwedge

Clanker
So I Married An Axe Murderer
Mike Myers plays two characters. The lead and also, brilliantly, his slightly psychotic Scottish father. Great characters throughout.

Eurotrip
Silly youth comedy about a US kid and his mates crossing Europe to get to his German pen pal. Very, very funny.

Without A Clue
Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley play Holmes and Watson. Watson is the brains and has hired a drunken actor hired to play Holmes. Great show.

All three are very funny.

it's on DVD not sure about Blue Ray also has a young Brian Blessed in a somewhat Mad Max outfit in it playing a bad egg

I had forgotten about his role. Doesn't he meet a sticky end at the pointy bit of Caine's helmet?

Moon

Yes that is it. I remember Gene Hackman in it looking a bit rough, and Gregory Peck as a NASA official getting stopped for speeding. I am not quite sure what happened in the end - I think the Russians rescued them?

There is another related film about attempts to rush to the Moon with one man missions but I cannot remember the name.

Countdown. I recalled James Caan was in it.

I'd nominate the Bill Murray/Woody Harrelson comedy "Kingpin" from 1994 about bowling.

I should've hated every thing about this film and found it offensive in the extreme, but I laughed and laughed and laughed.

Yokel

LE
I enjoyed a Norwegian film called The Snowman, about an alcoholic detective searching for a serial killer. The twist was that the murder was the detective's ex wife's partner. It was a bit confusing that the detective assigned to assist him and his ex wife looked very similar.

Whilst not a film as such, the two part mini series Family Of Spies tells the story of the Walker-Whitworth spy ring who were busy selling US and NATO naval secrets to the KGB. The lax security procedures are breathtaking.

Another mini series I remember was one called Pursuit, about an SS Officer who was implicated in the July 1944 plot against Hitler, but later has plastic surgery and pretend to be a Jewish refugee, emigrated to Israel, and becomes a senior IDF Officer. Decades later his past catches up with him, as his son has become a Nazi hunter, and Neo Nazis find him and blackmail him into giving them Plutonium. He puts end to the plot with an IED, supposedly similar to that used in the July 1944 plot.
I read that book and saw the movie with Ben Cross it was called twist of fate here in the states

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
People like us, a wartime era propaganda film written by Noel Coward

and same time next year with Alan Alda, it was a very moving film and touched upon a subject that was in many peoples hearts in America at that time

Yokel

LE
I read that book and saw the movie with Ben Cross it was called twist of fate here in the states

Thank you - I will take the time to watch that tonmorow. I last saw it in 1990.

Another US film that I cannot remember was about a group of demobilised soldiers adjusting to life after World War Two. Brad Johnson and Tom Sizemore were in it.

The British film Doomsday Gun, is about the Iraqi Supergun shows the ways components were ordered from manufacturers in different countries to try to evade the interest of Governments.

Does anybody know of one of my favourite movies, well up in my top ten "The Last Valley" starring Michael Caine?
Whenever I have mentioned this to anybody over the last forty or so years (even to film buffs who like this sort of thing) have never heard of it and tell me that I am talking bolox but knowing me, I probably am.
Set during the Hundred Years War in plague-ravaged Europe, merceneries find a valley village that has been unaffected and they decide to over-Winter there.
Cracking movie. Errmm, I am sure that it does exist? Bedtime rum beckons.

Edited for Old Rosie, rum and for being a d*ck.

I know it. Michael Caine, Omar Shariff, Brian Blessed, etc., Even read the book.

AfricaExpat

Old-Salt
People like us, a wartime era propaganda film written by Noel Coward

and same time next year with Alan Alda, it was a very moving film and touched upon a subject that was in many peoples hearts in America at that time
Another proganda film which is very watchable, Went the Day Well. Think the full version is somewhere on Youtube.

Latest Threads