Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

underrated films.

I cannot remember the name but there was a film about an accident at a USAF Titan missile silo when a maintenance mishap caused an explosion and threw the thermonuclear warhead some distance.

I also cannot remember the name of the film about an American town cut off by giant man eating worms. I think Kevin Bacon was in it.
Tremors for the worms

Disaster at Silo7 may be the USAF film

I watched A walk in the woods , last weekend

decent film , entertaining , mildly funny, lovely country

and here's the spoiler, the best bit was at the end when they said **** it and gave up having walked about a quarter of the trail
The book is better by a country mile...

A film which was shown at RMAS for similar reasons was Tunes of Glory (1960) set in the Officers Mess of a Scottish infantry battalion shortly after the second world war. It had a good cast, Alec Guinness, John Mills, Denis Price, Gordon Jackson. Like Bofors Gun it centred on a weak individual who is unable to impose his authority on a malevolent subordinate, and was written by somebody (James Kennaway) who had experienced similar events in real life.
I don't think it portrayed him as a weak individual. The battalion in question seemed to be based on the Gordon Highlanders. The Colonel, a long service regular had been captured with 2 Gordons at the fall of Singapore. One of the Gordons TA battalions had been renumbered to keep up the traditions of the regular battalion and had fought with 51 Highland Div in North Africa and NW Europe. Jock Sinclair had risen from piper to CO of the battalion.

The Colonel, clearly suffering from PTSD from his time as a Japanese POW takes over the battalion due to his substansive rank and Jock reverts to his substansive rank of Major and is the second in command. The new CO wants to impose pre war standards on a war time battalion which obviously has had other things on its mind during the last few years.

The Colonel having been in a peace time regular battalion until 1941 doesn't understand how standards have slipped. Jock thinks he has done a good job in leading the battalion in war can't understand that this is now peacetime and resents playing second fiddle and attempts to undermine the Colonel, supported by his officers who Jock is very popular with.

The Colonel tops himself, Jock feels guilty about the way he treated him as being a member of the regiment they should have welcomed him but didn't. Jock is determined to give him a good send off as befitting a clan chief.

A very good film, one of my favourites. It shows how Scottish Regiments were really not like any other Regiments in any army. More like heavily armed clans.

By pure chance I'm currently watching this on Netflix & saw this thread pop up on whats new list. That's how good a film it is. I'm browsing arrse whilst it's on....

Sorry have to disagree it is utter shite.... Acting is wooden, plot pretty rank, cgi......nuff said
Fair enough, although surely not more wooden than Harrison Ford, i wouldn't cast the twat for Emmerdale.

I cannot remember the name but there was a film about an accident at a USAF Titan missile silo when a maintenance mishap caused an explosion and threw the thermonuclear warhead some distance.

I also cannot remember the name of the film about an American town cut off by giant man eating worms. I think Kevin Bacon was in it.
The incident sounds like the Arkansas Titan II missle explosion. A maintenance worker dropped a socket on the missle causing the propellant to explode and launch the warhead through the lid of the silo

Last edited:

pc flaps

War Hero
The Right Stuff. A rare case of the film being much better than the book. Unashamed male heroism with no Hollywood-added "irony" or wokeness to spoil it. Just the right balance between drama and humour.

And it's got Chuck Yeager in a cameo. What more could you want?

a number of good films mentioned here. 84 Charlie Mopic turned up on Moviedrome in '94 - did anyone here watch that? Alex Cox would introduce a couple of cult films last thing on bbc2 sunday nights. saw a lot of excellent stuff there you wouldn't likely see anywhere else.

brilliant to see a couple of mentions for Silent Running - one of my faves. the br and canadian dvd release has a load of special features on there that are well worth a watch if you're a fan of the film - apparently it was a very popular with the astronauts. Bruce Dern relates a story of when he was working on the miniseries 'Space' which had a couple of the Apollo guys acting as advisers - he said before he had a chance to ask them what it was like to go to the moon *they* were all over *him* asking what it been like to work on SR and how it was to film in the sets for the domes.
I have/had a hooky far east copy of 84C Mopic on dvd.
Good quality but with subtitles in Chinese or something.

Very good film.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Bit of a side note, this "wokeness' is getting beyond a joke.

I'm looking around for a copy of "Blazing Saddles". Can't find it. Decide to look up some Richard Pryor/Gene Wilder comedy stuff. That's all gone.
You can't have looked very hard it's on Amazon in about 5 different versions.

You can't have looked very hard it's on Amazon in about 5 different versions.
Not here on Amazon Australia. Managed to find a copy elsewhere, it should be arriving here tomorrow.

It used to be on Netflix Aus until it was removed recently, it's what has kicked off my search to get a physical copy so that the woke brigade can't delete it.

Last edited:

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I always thought that Kevin Costners Film " The Postman" was always given unfair reviews , it was slated when released in the movies houses but it has a huge following in the home viewing market.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
So I Married An Axe Murderer
Mike Myers plays two characters. The lead and also, brilliantly, his slightly psychotic Scottish father. Great characters throughout.

Eurotrip
Silly youth comedy about a US kid and his mates crossing Europe to get to his German pen pal. Very, very funny.

Without A Clue
Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley play Holmes and Watson. Watson is the brains and has hired a drunken actor hired to play Holmes. Great show.

All three are very funny.
"MORIARTY?!?!"

The flight of the Phoenix (1965 version).

This film made a loss, but it was quite a good film. I watched it as a kid back in the 70's - thought it was good, then they remade it - but the original was better.

Night Shift:

It stared Henry Winkler and Micheal Keaton, Shelly Long. It was about these two guys that worked in a morque and became pimps. It was pretty funny, even today it is still funny.