Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

underrated films.

Yokel

LE
I cannot remember the name but there was a film about an accident at a USAF Titan missile silo when a maintenance mishap caused an explosion and threw the thermonuclear warhead some distance.

I also cannot remember the name of the film about an American town cut off by giant man eating worms. I think Kevin Bacon was in it.

12 O'Clock High is a superb film - the beginning sequence always sets my hair on end. likewise Tunes of Glory is my favourite (non) war film, the closing scene makes the room extraordinarily dusty .
It's that moment where Harvey Stovall (Dean Jagger) is standing, with his memories, on the deserted, derelict runway of "Archbury" in 1948. The camera pans to the grass/wheat which is gently waving in the breeze, then is flattened by the propwash of an unseen B-17, as the aero engine sound swells, and we are taken back to 1942 and the crippled planes of the 918th are returning from a raid, firing their "wounded on board" flares.
At this point the first genuinely historical incident is referenced when several wounded are lifted out into ambulances, and the medics comment that they can see the brain of the pilot through his opened skull. They also recover the severed arm of the flight engineer/top turret gunner. This is a clear reference to the action of 28 July 1943 when Flight Officer John C Morgan (co-pilot) was awarded the Medal of Honor. Names, dates and locations are changed in the film, but the opened skull, the TTE's severed arm, the co-pilot struggling with the crazed, dying pilot, all this is a representation of one of the best known incidents of the bomber offensive.
In reality, Ruthie II, the plane Morgan brought home, belonged to the 92nd Bomb Group based at Alconbury, though on the day in question, with fuel gauges reading zero, he landed at Foulsham.

I cannot remember the name but there was a film about an accident at a USAF Titan missile silo when a maintenance mishap caused an explosion and threw the thermonuclear warhead some distance.

I also cannot remember the name of the film about an American town cut off by giant man eating worms. I think Kevin Bacon was in it.
Kevin Bacon was in everything.

Tremors

Not a bad film, just don't bother with the sequels

Man eating worms.... Tremors?

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
Ride with the Devil (1999)

An Ang Lee film depicting a small band of Missouri Irregulars and an attempt to escape retribution from their own side. Multi-layered film, more about redemption, duty and friendship than the American Civil War itself.

Not a perfect film by any means, but beautifully shot and well acted.

Tremors! Epic film.

Another good film is “Let the right one in” - the Swedish film, not the terrible US remake. It focuses on the friendship between a bullied boy and a girl who is a vampire. I assure you all it’s much better than it sounds!

Flesh +Blood, early Paul Verhoeven film with Rutger Hauer.
Medieval mercenaries, rape, dark humour, weird Catholic guilt issues..
Well made, but weird and not commercial.

Man eating worms.... Tremors?
When I was at school if you were a conchie you could avoid joining the Combined Cadet Force by doing Civil Defence training. Along with first aid, firefighting and lowering volunteers from rooves on stretchers, they used to rustle up field kitchens, and the piece de resistance was eating cooked earthworms.

Flesh +Blood, early Paul Verhoeven film with Rutger Hauer.
Medieval mercenaries, rape, dark humour, weird Catholic guilt issues..
Well made, but weird and not commercial.
Yes, I was never a fan of these medieval/fantasy epics, but do recall enjoying this. For years (before IMDB n Google), I’d rave in about it but nobody had ever heard of it.

HCL

War Hero

Tremors!!!
Brilliant.

Edit beaten by everyone

Last edited:

HCL

War Hero
When I was at school if you were a conchie you could avoid joining the Combined Cadet Force by doing Civil Defence training. Along with first aid, firefighting and lowering volunteers from rooves on stretchers, they used to rustle up field kitchens, and the piece de resistance was eating cooked earthworms.

Luxury. Powdered earth worms.
Hands up all those who weren't probed on E&E because they didn't use toilet paper/dock leaves?

M&AW Cadre walt

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Bit of a side note, this "wokeness' is getting beyond a joke.

I'm looking around for a copy of "Blazing Saddles". Can't find it. Decide to look up some Richard Pryor/Gene Wilder comedy stuff. That's all gone.
Try Amazon, I've found at least 4 listings.

Tremors

Not a bad film, just don't bother with the sequels

The original Tremors was great fun - no CGI just some clever SFX, and a bunch of actors enjoying themselves hamming it up, and having fun with the script.

IIRC he started off his national service in another Regt before being transferred when he went to Korea. Where he was based in Germany had been one of the depot's of the Afrika Corps and when the veterans had reunions in the local town there was always a punch up between the squaddies and the vet's. Its strange to imagine WW2 veterans rucking with present day soldiers but this was of course only a few years since the war.
I think the records and his autobiography show him serving all his time in the Royal Fusilers. The RF moved from Germany to relieve 1 KSLI in 28 Commonwealth Brigade in 1952.

In those days with most line infantry being single battalion regiments they were grouped in administrative brigades of four battalions with one battalion being the training depot and sending trained recruits to the other three battalions, so he may have done his recruit training with a battalion other than the RF but still have been badged RF.

I recently watched "outlander" a 2008 film with a great cast and as an adventure/action movie better than Indiana Jones by a long chalk. Another underated movie for me was "Body of lies" again a great cast and a good story. A look at the new criteria for academy awards means the end of that bodies relevance. Subversion in art will deal with that, free speech on a plate, the left knows nothing and learns nothing, **** 'em.
By pure chance I'm currently watching this on Netflix & saw this thread pop up on whats new list. That's how good a film it is. I'm browsing arrse whilst it's on....

Sorry have to disagree it is utter shite.... Acting is wooden, plot pretty rank, cgi......nuff said