Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Underground Mysteries, Abandoned Sites and Ghost stories

I have always loved old buildings, secret complexes or ghost stories which in an idle half hour this afternoon lead me onto a bit of a reminisce about some of the postings and places I have been to.

RAF Saxa Vord was pretty highly ranked with its own underground bunker and abandoned WWI airbase, i spend many a happy afternoon wandering around trying to figure out what was what.

RAF Digby is another interesting one with the plotting room museum and the WWI barracks next door

And the alleged underground complex at Javelin Barracks (RAF Bruggen) was somewhere I ALWAYS wanted to have a snoop around.

The Old Ammo complex at Bracht was somewhere where you could lose yourself for days in.

The old Home Chain radar mast at Stenigot with the concrete dishes (now demolished :( ) kept me interested for an hour.

I never got the chance to do the tunnels at Corsham before they were closed, i would love to see that.

Just wondering if anyone else has some interesting stories or information on places they have visited, served at or even just have rumours of.

Thinking I might make a little road trip if we can find some good contenders.

(MODS please move if in the wrong place)

Last edited:

I do like to read about the Ghost side, not that I believe as such but I am willing to explore the unexplained.

Actually visiting abandoned sites has much more appeal. Purely as it interests me to walk around these abandoned places, imagining back to what they were, researching the places themselves and trying to place in my mind what it would look like from old photographs while I am there.

OK its probably a bit geeky, but I don't mind being a bit of a geek and I combat that with copious amounts of alcohol.

This is more about finding out what other places there are on this island, they don't even need to be Military. For example the old Lord Lines building in Hull is amazing to look around (Only in daylight, the drugged up Zombies occupy in the hours of darkness)

1638464966574.png

The story behind the place is quite interesting as well.

Have you seen this one ===> 28DaysLater.co.uk

I used to be a forum user many years ago, probably a whole new generation on there now. I did some explorations back then, but I had the benefit of a warrant card in my pocket to make sure I did not get in the shite.

High Wood. Somme for me, though some comrades of mine were stalked by 'something' in the notorious Mametz Wood shortly before the one hundredth anniversary shindig. It turned out to be a randy wild boar intent on probing their bivouac.

Last edited:
I have always loved old buildings, secret complexes or ghost stories which in an idle half hour this afternoon lead me onto a bit of a reminisce about some of the postings and places I have been to.

RAF Saxa Vord was pretty highly ranked with its own underground bunker and abandoned WWI airbase, i spend many a happy afternoon wandering around trying to figure out what was what.

RAF Digby is another interesting one with the plotting room museum and the WWI barracks next door

And the alleged underground complex at Javelin Barracks (RAF Bruggen) was somewhere I ALWAYS wanted to have a snoop around.

The Old Ammo complex at Bracht was somewhere where you could lose yourself for days in.

The old Home Chain radar mast at Stenigot with the concrete dishes (now demolished :( ) kept me interested for an hour.

I never got the chance to do the tunnels at Corsham before they were closed, i would love to see that.

Just wondering if anyone else has some interesting stories or information on places they have visited, served at or even just have rumours of.

High Wood. Somme for me, though some comrades of mine were stalked by 'something' in the notorious Mametz Wood shortly before the one hundredth anniversary shindig. It turned out to be a randy wild boar intent on probing their bivouac.
Funnily enough, i know a chap (former arrser) who made some recordings in Mametz Wood with a couple of investigators. Weird as eff i tell you!

Funnily enough, i know a chap (former arrser) who made some recordings in Mametz Wood with a couple of investigators. Weird as eff i tell you!
Yes I have bumped into alleged mediums in Mametz Wood. In the hammerhead. Said that if you go into the Wood at night you 'can hear the Welsh boys crying for their mammies' I had a strange experience there one March afternoon but it was a case of my mind informing my senses. I was involved in making a TV documentary there a few years back. Three of us were carrying out a recce to find camera positions covering events 5 - 10 July. Those who know the Wood will know there is, or was, a hunters lodge halfway through the Wood on the main ride. We ran over time and dusk was falling. So was rain. We entered the hut for shelter. The lodge had a a long flap shutter which could be raised or lowered. To cut a long story short, the producer and self spotted what appeared to be a stationary human figure,
in the rain in the middle distance. The cameraman could not see a thing. We had full permission to be in the Wood but thinking we had pissed off a local hunter, we called out,asking him to join us. The figure did not move. Just stood there watching us. I admit to being a little unnerved at this stage knowing the wood's history. When the rain eased off we went to have a look. Nobody there. Upon returning to the hut, there he was again ! You've guessed it, it was the patterns of the trees. The producer and self were observing from just about the same angle but the cameraman was viewing from a different angle and so he did not see the figure effect. Conclusion: we saw that which our knowledge dictated was there, forming a spectral figure from the arrangement of trunks and tree bark striations.

Michael Renshaw who ran the Les Galets guesthouse used to be a great source for spook
dits. Ghostly Welsh voices near the Dragon singing 'Jesu lover of my Soul...'

Last edited:
NATO ACE high stations in the UK were all dismantled , I hope by decent firms as the transformers in the high power 650 Kilo Watt transmitters were cooled with synthetic oil and water? The oil was a pond of BCBs .

After the stations closed down in 94/5 . S0me countries just left them to rot.

Not RADAR but Tropo Scatter.

Last edited:

It was recently posed on the "internet links" thread, but this thread may be an appropriate place for this documentary, "The Watchtower"

The same base in Italy also had a power back up system if the AC power was lost . Huge fly wheels weighing several tonnes that were brought up to speed , thousands of revs per minute . They started and were kept rotating from the mains AC , so if the main AC stopped they would continue to provide power until the back up generators kicked in. Which took about 30 to 60 seconds. This was 1950 ies tech.

Someone years ago forgot to keep maintaining the bearings and lubrucarion.

So one time when they did lose AC mains power. The fly wheel jumps out of its bearings and shot through the power house wall and down the mountain at a huge rate of speed.