Undergraduate Bursary and Regimental sponsorship?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by BorisJohnson, Aug 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello ARRSer's.
    This is my first post on Arrse, so please don't be too harsh!

I'm about to start my second year of university, and I'm looking to start the application process to obtain an Army Undergraduate Bursary. But one thing is puzzling me; I've been reading into Regimental sponsorship's, but I'm not to sure whether someone with a bursary can get one, as the time you get your place at Sandhurst is so far off from when you actually go, can anyone shed any light on this?

Sorry if the question seems pointless or the answer is obvious.

Thank you in advance. [h=3][/h]

2. My brother had a bursary and he was sponsored by a Regiment (Corps in his case) but was not bound by that sponsorship when it came to Regimental selection. I would presume there is a similar system in place nowadays.

3. I'm surprised that username wasn't taken already. Good drills.

Anyway... I don't say this to be dismissive and lazy, but go and speak to an ACA (Army Careers Adviser) - your nearest AFCO will be able to give you contact details. This kind of thing is changing all the time at the moment, and they will have (or will have access to) the latest information.

4. It is my understanding that Regimental Sponsorship amounts to the handling of paperwork in lieu of your ACA doing it.

As said above you are not bound, unless a confirmed cadet, to stick with your Regimental Sponsor and you may switch at RSB if you choose to do so.

5. Partly. It also gets you known to a regiment; something there is precious little time to do at RMAS.

6. Yes good point.