Undergraduate bursary and OTC pay

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by combatte_wombatte, Mar 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just heard from my CO that I've got the undergratuate bursary, yay and all that... but my OTC's adj has said that although being awarded a bursary should mean that I'm eligible to be paid for OTC training, he isn't going to as he believes OTC pay will start up again next month- something I personally doubt. Putting aside the issue of whether or not the UOTCs deserve to get paid, if that's true then it would mean that I'd be out of pocket for the weekends and drill nights I'm doing between now and the start of April.

I know I shouldn't be whinging as I will actually be getting some money anyway but I'm in debt due to not being able to get another job since the pay cut-off and want to be able to pay off my overdraft ASAP. I know I must sound a bit stupid but I'd just like to know what the facts are. Am I eligible for pay for weekends and drill nights? If so, is there anything I can do about getting paid for the next couple of weeks?

2. You are eligible, and the way our CO tells it, that money is ring-fenced for bursars, so if your CO doesn't authorise it to be given to you, the money goes back to the MOD and your unit will be allocated less next year.
    I can't quite see what he gains by not paying you until April when the rest of the OTC will be paid. As far as I know (certainly in our unit) you can then still be paid in instances, such as AT, when other cadets are not paid.
    The way I see it is that half of your real-terms bursary actually comes from OTC pay, and so you should definitely politely ask him to reconsider.
    Hope this is helpful,
    R

3. Thanks R, that's good news. But the way the Adj had talked about ring-fenced money for bursars was that it was just extra funding for the OTC as a whole, which is good news for my corps; we could do with some extra cash. To be honest he then went off on a tangent so keeping him focused long enough to reconsider my polite request might take some effort!

4. Hmm... I'm pretty sure he's wrong. Our CO's desperate to get rid of the money to the bursars (he would obviously jump at the chance to give it to the unit, something that the bursars encouraged him to do), to the extent that we've been on bursars-only paid events.
    If he's a waffler, write him an email? Or speak to the CO- it is, after all, his decision.
    R

5. Just as an aside bursars are not being paid at all OTC's. In C_W's case you seem to be lucky, but it's not a nation-wide policy.

6. Just an update- I'd mentioned the pay issue to the BSM and he took the question up the chain of command as far as Bde (def owe him a drink). Yes, they will be paying me and the other 2 bursars from my university if they ever turn up.

Ouyin, you're right, I am lucky!

7. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Firstly, any bursars in UOTCs who aren't being paid should be: there are no 'ifs' or 'buts' about it. Secondly, the pay cut off was the result of in-year savings in the last financial year. All UOTC cadets will start getting paid again from 1 April.

8. Thank you for that. I'll ask my TM about the issue, although the damage is probably already done.

EDIT: Cpunk, please check your PM's.