Underfloor heating

Discussion in 'DIY' started by annie1969, Apr 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im turning the backend of my garage into a utility area, it has a concrete floor. Can i put electric underfloor heating on the concrete floor and then ceramic tiles on top, if so does it need it's own breaker at the fuse box? Thanks for any help.

2. Had a flat with elec underfloor, heating once it was buried under a thin skim................ deffo a seperate breaker

Bit on the expensive side to run and no good if you want "instant heat"

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks. I was looking for instant heat as it's just for doing the washing and ironing in. Maybe just get one of them plug in oil radiators.

4. If you want instant heat - a portable gas fire is probably the best bet.....

Something like (selected at random)

Igenix IG9420 4.2kw Gas Heater Silver

No flue needed, no mains plug either

• Like Like x 1
  5. If you can and have facilities water underfloor heating outstrips the rest

6. In principle yes you can. As for the breaker yes I would think so - I would, because if EVERYTHING should go wrong you may be standing on an electrified floor and a tripping breaker would safeguard you.

I appreciate the cosy tootsies thing but electric costs a bloody fortune and if you plan on spending a great deal of time out there can you give me the name of your electric provider so I can buy shares in them.

Is the house attached to the garage. If it is get some extra pipe run over and drop a radiator in there with a thermostatic valve. As stated above underfloor radiant waterbased is the best - BQ used to sell kits.

Regardless of wether you put in floor heating or a radiator you will need insulation on the walls and ceiling or you are just heating outdoors.

Also are you dividing off the work area from the garage? Either stud partition wall or a heavy curtain, all doable by a competant DIY'er over a weekend.

7. I've three dogs that follow me everywhere, it's not a big area so would be worried about tails getting burnt. Thanks though

8. Instant Korean BBQ.................... Everything you ever wanted

• Like Like x 1
  9. Theres a stud wall going up and the door from family room goes into garage. I put the garage on 6 years ago and spent a fortune on insulation. I didn't think i could get gas into there as it's built on a concrete base with a concrete floor on top. I've got the house on the market so don't want to spend too much. The viewers that i've had have been looking for a utility room so that the only reason it's going on, I myself much prefer the warmth of the kitchen

10. I've got underfloor heating in my conservatory (posh I am, see*), & it takes a while to warm up & costs a fortune. I rarely use it.

*Not really. It was there when I bought the house.

Sent from beyond the grave using the Force.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Not gas, just a radiator with water pipes.

If you are selling though don't bother. What I do with garages for house that I do up is get some Ikea or B&Q cabinets, both floor standing and wall hanging, plonk on a nice work surface, put a sheet of formica or painted MDF up at the back between the floor and wall cabinets and if you have not got any out there put up a few flourescent lights to make it look light and airy, drop down a big rug and away you go.

If you stand an ironing board and washing basket out there it finishes the illusion.

12. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

if its a raw concrete floor without a styrene bathtub then you could insulate the floor, lay a heat mat then further flooring on that.

not so easy but once its going relatively cheap to run if you are creating a utility room which will keep the heat and the dogs will like it.

if there is a nearby rad you could tap into then it woudl make more sense to extend the heating loop into a compact radiator or a wet plinth heater.

cheapest is probably a standard electric plinth heater to start the room off.

13. Im taking the 8 year old kitchen out and putting in a very much cheaper ikea kitchen, would appear Buttermilk coloured units is not to everyone's taste, so some of them are going into what's to be the utility. I'll speak to someone about radiator but I think the pipes would need to run above ground. If someone views i'll stick the tumble dryer on for instant heat... Thanks for the advice

14. Thanks your a wee gem. I've just taken a plinth heater out the kitchen cause I never used it...... Guess where it's going now?

15. Just put a shower room/bog and office into what was my garage 200mm of Celotex insulation and 75mm of screed on the deck and 150mm in the dry lined outside walls only needs a small towel rail and rad in the office to keep it warm.