Undercover Nurse struck off

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Apr 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/8002559.stm

I am unsure as to why she has been struck off, unless it's to discourage similar actions of concerned Nursing staff exposing the shortfalls in patient care?

Will the RCN and UNISON be taking up her case?
  2. She should consider herself lucky she didn't hang herself.
  3. That's because she's not from Bridgend.
  4. From the BBC report...

She was found guilty of misconduct on Wednesday following a fitness to practise hearing.

Panorama believes that Margaret Haywood has done the elderly population of this country a great service

BBC spokesman
    The chair of the panel, Linda Read, said Ms Haywood had prioritised the filming and did not fulfil her obligations as a nurse.

"In the view of the panel, this was a major breach of the code of conduct.

"A patient should be able to trust a nurse with his/her physical condition and psychological wellbeing without that confidential information being disclosed to others.

"Although the conditions on the ward were dreadful, it was not necessary to breach confidentiality to seek to improve them by the method chosen.

She said the misconduct was "fundamentally incompatible with being a nurse".

"The registrant embarked upon filming many vulnerable, elderly patients in the last stages of their lives, knowing that it was unlikely that they would be able to give any meaningful consent to that process, in circumstances where their dignity was most compromised.

"The registrant could have attempted to address shortcomings by other means. But this was never a course of action which she fully considered."

And it will be reported further here:

Nursing & Midwifery Conduct and Competence Comitte Hearings

This is very much a part of our code of conduct and as such will be subject to disciplinary hearing in the public view.
  5. From what I gathered it is essentially, as you quote, because she,

"followed the behest of the filmmakers... rather than her obligations as a nurse"

ie, while concentrating on getting the best footage to back up her complaints, she was neglecting the wellbeing of those in her care.

I don't think this programme has aired in Australia (I certainly haven't seen it if it has), so I'm probably not best placed to judge the truth of that claim.

This business of 'undercover journalism' (I am aware that the British Army has recently been subject to the same treatment), seems to a particularly British phenomenon.

I sincerely hope it doesn't catch on down here.

We convicts don't need that degree of scrutiny.
  6. trouble is the general where she filmed has some shite wards that have got new staff etc since the film aired :roll:
    funny that :?
  7. Massive confidentiality issues would be one criticism of the nurse. Secret filming, even for clinical reasons, has got doctros struck off several times before now.

I'd be interested to know if she did anything special for the filmmakers or if she just went about her business with a camera in her buttonhole. If the former situation is infact the case, then she doesn't really have a leg to stand on.
  8. Almost a case of which is in the bigger public interest? Difficult to call, but given the risk - the BBC seem to have quite happily left her to it, almost similar to the undercover soldier.
  9. reasons this nurse got a strike from the register explained below 8)

The Code: Standards of conduct, performance and ethics for nurses and midwives

The people in your care must be able to trust you with their health and wellbeing.

To justify that trust, you must

•make the care of people your first concern, treating them as individuals and respecting their dignity
    •work with others to protect and promote the health and wellbeing of those in your care, their families and carers, and the wider community
    •provide a high standard of practice and care at all times
    •be open and honest, act with integrity and uphold the reputation of your profession

Respect people's confidentiality (Confidentiality advice sheet, PDF)

•You must respect people's right to confidentiality
    •You must ensure people are informed about how and why information is shared by those who will be providing their care
    •You must disclose information if you believe someone may be at risk of harm, in line with the law of the country in which you are practising

Ensure you gain consent (Consent advice sheet, PDF)

•You must ensure that you gain consent before you begin any treatment or care
    •You must respect and support people's rights to accept or decline treatment and care
    •You must uphold people's rights to be fully involved in decisions about their care
    •You must be aware of the legislation regarding mental capacity, ensuring that people who lack capacity remain at the centre of decision making and are fully safeguarded
    •You must be able to demonstrate that you have acted in someone's best interests if you have provided care in an emergency

Be impartial

•You must not abuse your privileged position for your own ends
    •You must ensure that your professional judgment is not influenced by any commercial considerations
    Uphold the reputation of your profession

•You must not use your professional status to promote causes that are not related to health
    •You must cooperate with the media only when you can confidently protect the confidential information and dignity of those in your care
    •You must uphold the reputation of your profession at all times

10. I am trying to imagine myself laying in a hospital bed, feeling poorly & generally a bit sorry for myself, & then finding out that the nurse who I was relying upon for my wellbeing was in fact playing 'secret squirrel' on behalf of a media company.

I have no doubt she BELIEVED she was acting in her patient's best interests. From what I have read, I believe she failed them spectacularly.
  11. The BBC have a responsibility to their secret agent in my view, they must have known what would happen when her cover was blown. And the disciplinary hearing result was correct, because she is also in a disciplined profession. But she should be given a job as independent inspector of such establishments. What is needed now is another hearing to decide what to do with the c unts who managed the place.
  12. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

As a nurse I'm glad she got struck off. She was playing "undercover" and not doing her job. It really was incompatible with her role as a nurse to those in her immediate care when she was on that particular ward. her concerns about the state of the ward dont come in to it. She was nursing patients, each one of them deserved total commitment and confidentiality. They did not get it.

I do not know if she was paid for her undercover experience but if she did get paid, it was double standards. I understand concerns with appalling situations in the NHS, and I take professional pride in trying and often succedding, in making the patient's lot better, even if management gnash their teeth in the process. If she wanted to rebel, there are better, and smarter ways of doing it
  14. Agree with the other nurses on here, the decision is the correct one.

There are any number of ways you can whistle blow that don't involve filming elderly or dying patients without their consent and although her legal person stated that consent was obtained afterwards where possible it's a little difficult to obtain consent from a dead person.
  15. Agreed Psychobabble. I had not realised the timing of consent until seeing the BBC report on it this evening. Does appear that Panarama could have made efforts to gain consent before going anywhere the ward with a camera.

So, whilst agreeing that the decision is the "correct" one - does the fact that she approached the BBC represent a failure in Royal Sussex NHS whistleblowing procedures? Always difficult to tell from 25 mins of footage, but she did not come across as someone who had not attempted to raise her concerns internally (IMHO).