Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Saphireskies, Nov 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I'm pretty new to this site but hope someone could give me some advice.

I've been in the TA for just over a year now and would like to join the regulars, unfortunately I've recently been diagnosed with an uderactive thyroid. I'm not on meds but have been told that I will be within a year.

I've never had any probs with exercise and I've passed all my recruits training with flying colours. I spoke "off the record" with one of the unit medics and he said I wont get discharged from unit but might not get accepted into the regs because of it.

I'm afraid to officially apply for a regular position incase I do get discharged completely but at the same time I dont want to give up on a full time army career.

If anyone knows the score on this I'd really appreciate some advice. If it makes any difference I'm female and RAMC.

Cheers, Saph
  2. Tough call. Although this doesn't answer your question, the Royal Marines Reserve have a full-time reservist thing, were you basically work as a full-time commando though still technically a reservist, do the TA have a similar scheme?

See what a high-ranking MO says.
  3. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

you will be given thyroxin to take every day, failure to do so could result in very rapid weight gain,brittle bones and always feeling cold and in severe cases dropping in to a coma. the good news is as long as you take the pills you will be ok my wife has been on them for 11 years and fit and healthy.
  4. That depends on the severity of the condition
  5. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

true it depends on how severe but when you do take thyroxin my wife says you forget about your thyroid untill you start missing doses point being the tablet replaces whats missing and with it you ars normal and it should not interfere with your lifestyle at all
  6. Yeah fair play point taken. On ops, you won't have access to the meds making you unfit for service.

You'll have to see how you go mate!
  7. Speaking purely in a professional capacity......you're gonna die.
  8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

That's not nice AB! I would much rather you had said "You're gonna die, fat!" :D
  9. We're all gonna die :cry:
  10. Apologies Dr B.....I was forgetting that I required a second opinion.

OK chubby, it's confirmed, you're gonna die and worse still, you're gonna be fat when you do.
  11. Not me.
  12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Yep, I've double checked my handy pocket medical hypochondriac's almanac and . . . your corpse will be fat, and sweaty, and slightly smelly.

The good news is there are always spare places for cooks.
  13. female penpals interesting
  14. One day, Biscuits_ab got a letter inviting him on a holiday with Jacqui the Jolly Gerbil. They loved to have adventures together. Suddenly they found themselves on a pirate ship. 'How did we get here?' asked Biscuits_ab. They looked around in surprise. 'Wow this is fabulous' said his companion, and looked around for some clues to what had happened. Suddenly a lorry was careering towards them. Biscuits_ab made a giant leap across the ravine, followed by his companion, and then to their dismay the lights went out. 'That was a close one' said Biscuits_ab , the amusement clear in his voice. 'I've got an idea' said Jacqui the Jolly Gerbil. 'Let's get on these scooters and make good our escape.' They got home safely and to this day they turn around three times before going to sleep.
  15. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

You've really thought about this haven't you? I have not the mental capacity, nor eloquence to answer the question in the thread so well, or to define the answer so beautifully. Just one question; Was the Jolly Gerbil overweight and sweaty?