Under the command of the SAS

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Private_Pike, Nov 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. not really, its not like they are showing SAS guys

What this is is another sales technique, have loads of warry b*tds all cammed up jumping in etc to get the walts through the door and then lumber them in the RLC (not saying that the RLC ain't all warry etc :wink:)

2. Of course they're warry- don't you read the papers- "" the Elite RLC" etc :lol:

3. Not strange - clever bit of PR to get the press talking about our recruitment campaigns before we have to spend a penny on advertising. Think about it, what difference does it make if we use real soldiers instead of actors? ANd who will believe they're real soldiers anyway - I won't, although I'm sure ARRSE will be full of comments like, I know him he's a knob/cracking bloke (delete whichever you prefer, we're bound to get both).

Only problem with this approach is the tendency for it to backfire when such august journals as the Torygraph make the Sun look good by comparison - why was it necessary to provide a link to the Deepcut story in that article?

Speaking of actors, I reckon TV series like RedCaps, Soldier Soldier, Preston Front (for the TA), etc. do more for recruitment than all the clever adverts put together.

4. msr

msr LE

Presumably the £3m which drew in 600 TA recruits is a good case in point...

msr

5. £5K per head. But the problem is we don't know how many would have joined anyway. Now, I don't know about everyone else but I always ask people what caused them to join the TA. The vast majority say that it was someone who was in the TA that told them about it.

Maybe we should spend the money recruiting more for the Regular Army and take the pressure off both organisations.

6. £5k a head? Add the cost of training and equipping them. Now apply the retention rate...a lot more than £5k a head!!

7. msr

msr LE

Can we track these individuals through their careers?

I'd wager in three years time there will be fewer than 100 left in.

I still think they should split the money between each TAC and let them crack on.

msr