Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

under siege

After re reading Sniper 1 and No Way Out , I thought both of these situations should have been massive massacres of the British army however no one told the soldiers this . After fighting for days weeks etc on short rations and manpower they performed miracles and sent many a martyr on an early trip to the garden of eden bless 'em .

However i noticed similar occurrences during the both fierce battles . Its the case of the enemy machine guns and suppression therof , i was a sapper so wasn't allowed to get hurt so i have no idea of tactics .

The Taliban placed their MGs in open locations on various occasions loosing gun team after gun team trying to keep them going .

What I wondered was .... are snipers trained to use AP to kill the gun as well as the gunner ? I haven't ever read of a sniper destroying MG or mortar tubes thusly ?
Is it not done or am i being too much of an armchair General . From regs to TA when training on the KarleyG i could never get th e infantry lads to "kill" the gunner first and not the tracks .

World's longest sniper kill - 2.47km twice!
Not sure on ‘trained to’, but he aimed for and hit the PKM Machine Gun:
British Corporal Craig Harrison killed two Taliban with consecutive shots at a distance of 2.47 kilometres (8120 ft) in Helmand Province, Afghanistan last November (2009). He then fired a third shot and hit the Taliban's PKM machinegun in perhaps the most prodigious feat of marksmanship in military history.

Scalieback, taking nothing away fron COH Craig Harrison and all credit to the lad but his kill shot has been surpassed by a Canadian SF guy back in 2017 with a kill shot of 3,540 m (3,871 yd).
Thanks, I know. Hathcock had it seemingly forever but since Afghanistan and Iraq there’s been a few more :)

He sued the MOD, just saying

Craig Harrison (sniper) - Wikipedia

The Ministry of Defence paid Harrison £100,000 in compensation for revealing his identity which put him at risk of kidnapping by Al-Qaeda supporters. The blunder led to Harrison being placed on permanent sick leave and then discharged

I read his book a few years ago, he had really terrible PTSD as well, it did not go well for him after that last tour. He got fucked over by the Army quite a bit too.

He sued the MOD, just saying

Craig Harrison (sniper) - Wikipedia

The Ministry of Defence paid Harrison £100,000 in compensation for revealing his identity which put him at risk of kidnapping by Al-Qaeda supporters. The blunder led to Harrison being placed on permanent sick leave and then discharged

I remember when that happened. **** me if the CO didn't shit a brick. Guys were more or less stagging on at his house.

Craig's a great guy though, Trencher, and even if he hadn't hit the guys he was aiming for, he's the sort of lad that'd run the distance and then strangle them to death.

Nicest guy in the world but you were onto a bad time if he got angry.

Wouldn't need AP rounds for the 0.338 Lapua Magnum. It would certainly damage a PKM.

If i remember correctly that is exactly what happened too.

It took him several rounds to hit them both and i think one of the rounds did hit the gun and put it out of action, the last guy was hit while he was attempting to get away. Its been a while since i read Harrisons account though so I might be wrong.