Under Fire:Journalists In Combat

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by BaronBoy, Dec 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just watched the above doco. Initially I didn't know whether I would watch it all the way through but I am glad I did. Basically it looks at the effect on journalists who cover combat zones, both physical and mental. It includes one who took an AK47 round to the back of his head (after it had gone through the back window of the vehicle he was travelling in) and the devastating effects of PTSD on several others.

What really struck hard was the effect on Paul Watson who was the cameraman who photographed the remains of SSG William Cleveland being dragged through the streets of Mogadishu. Now I understand the revulsion many will feel at what he did and that he deserves everything that comes his way even if it had the greater effect of calling out the military failure of what happened.

However, if you get the chance to watch it then I urge you to take the opportunity. The following link may not work outside Australia.

SBS On Demand | TV and Online Video - Under Fire: Journalists In Combat

• Like Like x 1
  2. They volunteer for it. They (mostly) do it for the glory and to further their careers and the perils of going into combat zones are well known.

Quel surprise .......

3. Jurnos that cover warzones are normally young and out to make a rep for themselves, not many do it beyond their mid 30s. Snappers also are like that, but a bit more mental.

On my last paper the Foreign desk editor used to show all new staff the bloodied bullet proof vest that saved the correspondent wearing it in Somalia, attacked by a gang with machetes, hacked to the ground his was dragged in to a taxi by his local fixer, his lucky day.

The better war corespondents IMO are female.

Fortunately in the last 15 odd years, most going out to these zones are better trained and equipped.

4. Its a risky business, especially with the pressure to get close to the action.

I confess that I've very nearly shot warzone journalists upon two occasions: one was hiding in some bushes and resembled a tooled-up member of the opposition, the other was an embed who thought he could make his career scoop by illicitly transmitting operational detail during an agreed period of transmission silence*....

*(that was just the first offence; he later - again against explicit instruction - did an unsupervised report to camera against a prominent and news-worthy backdrop that gave any enemy watching TV the precise real-time location of the host unit.)

5. Reminds me of the 2 idiots on TELIC1 who thought they knew better than 7 Bde as to where the FLOT was and were killed by IA or US (depending on who you believe). "You can only give advice, you can't make people take it" comes to mind.

It's fine if they want to take big risks for a story but it should be a) without the rubbish about it being for a higher human good, it's just about their careers and b) without the assumption that the Army will then risk it's own people to bail them out wen thy discover that some ally cargo pants and a minder claiming to be ex SF can't get them out of the shit.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Who can forget Stephen Farrell the Irish prick who to date has been kidnapped three times

Stephen Farrell (journalist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

second time it cost the life of a soldier rescuing him and Farell's interpreter . Third time Farrell's driver was killed . What a waste of human life for a waste of space . Maybe I should try and find his email address and ask him what motivates him knowing that he's caused so much death

That said most of these war reporters especially if it involves Israel have their story written as to how the bad guys are before they even step on a plane

Edited to add. Good his emails right here

Stephen Farrell - The New York Times

7. Rubber necking bastards getting in the way. I mean who even watches the reports they film
    or reads the stuff they write eh?

Korea,Iran/Iraq war, Biafran War, Lebanon,Tianamen Square, Chechnya, Georgia, The Balkans, Chad, Russian invasion of Afganistan Mexican Drug Wars,Moscow:fall of communism,Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Somalia, Egypt, Syria...

Why do they bother going to these places? - we can learn everything we need to from the countries' governments.

8. I dont like that old slag Adie -she was a complet cnnt

9. She could be a trifle tricky sometimes...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Aye, shame they get others killed and sometimes themselves whilst glory hunting, like your man Stephen Farrell, eh?

11. The best approach was to stay away from the preening harridan. My best defence was to give her some duff gen - she didn't trouble me again.

One of our embeds on T1 was a good bloke, the other was a prize penis. Guess whose equipment 'disappeared' on D-1 leaving him to file copy via carrier pigeon?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Oh come on Cab - we're not going down that ******* road again are we? Farrell was a **** and should have had his wings clipped along time ago.

Those locations I mentioned are all places where ITN/BBC have operated without support from embeds with UK forces. In each case somebody got it in the neck. And if in you can picture in your mind what those places looked like at the time - it wasn't because you were ******* there it was because they were.

13. I did the same thing. In Fulham outside Dando's place. That was the last time I worked with her.

'According to experts, the Browning HP35 would not be the weapon of choice for a professional assassin.....'

• Like Like x 1
  14. It seems that most need their wings clipped. That Sky reporter lass is going to get someone killed (or herself, but thats her issue) the way she goes about things. Why don't they send reporters who aren't glory hunters?

Do I need to picture places I haven't been that you mentioned? I have enough pictures in my mind of some of the places you have mentioned and thats fine for me.

15. who was that blonde SA American? bint who got her bumps felt in Egypt - that all went a bit quiet - Daft bastards the lot of them