Under Active Thyroid (Hypothyroidism)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pies, Feb 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm considering joining the MPGS but I have recently been told that I have a "slightly under active" thyroid. The doctor said that I do not have to take medication if the condition is not bothering me that much.

Does anyone know if this would stop me getting into the MPGS?

Cheers

2. In my experience underactivity doesn't seem to have been a bar to any other MPGS recruit!!!

3. Pies,

I've had this condition all my life. In fact it was only diagnosed when I joined the British Army and they saw no problems.
    It shouldn't be something that'll stop you joining the MPGS, but I would recommend yearly blood-tests, just to be on the safe side.

If at any time you start to feel more tired than usual, or feeling the cold, as well as suffering from unusual and sustained constipation, then get yourself checked over.
    It doesn't mean that the condition's worsened, since these symptoms can be caused by any number of things. However, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Should your hypothyroidism become worse at any stage (which mine never did), you can always start thyroid replacement to bring your physical condition up to scratch. This therapy is ongoing but has no side-effects, since you're only replacing a hormone which your body need anyway.

Above all; don't worry too much about it!

MsG

4. Thanks Bugsy - That's a great help. :D

5. Pies,

I suffer from Hashimotos Thyroiditis and am currently on 300 mcgs of Thyroxine a day, and I am still serving (knackered all the time mind, but still serving). It's a bl00dy awful condition, and I sympathise with you. Shouldnt stop you doing an MPGS type role though.

Just keep an eye on things though. If you feel faint or excessively tired or fall over unexpectedly, feel abnormally cold, dry skin and random numbness get yourself checked out.

Keep taking the pills