Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Under 18s to be banned from buying knives

Britain - going tits up?

• No - They're only doing what's right and will result in a happy, crime-free country

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - they're screwing us and we're happily walking into the abyss

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...ml&sSheet=/portal/2004/12/12/ixportaltop.html

Under-18s are to be banned from buying knives under new plans announced by the Government.

Knives are a growing menace
David Blunkett, the Home Secretary, wants to raise the age at which youngsters can buy knives from 16 to 18, the same age at which they can buy alcohol and fireworks.

Mr Blunkett said he would do everything in his power to get knives off Britain's streets and will unveil his plans at talks with police chiefs on Wednesday.

The Home Secretary will use the meeting to announce plans to hold consultations over the change. But senior Home Office sources said he was almost certain to push ahead with it.

Mr Blunkett said: "We must do everything we can to get knives off the streets, including toughening the law.

"I think that there is a very strong argument for having to be 18 to buy a knife, just as with alcohol and fireworks."

The Home Office is also facing demands to bring in tougher punishments for knife crimes.

Sir John Stevens, the Metropolitan Police commissioner, this month said gun crime had been reduced but criminals were now moving onto knives.

He said people carrying knives "for the wrong reasons" should receive mandatory sentences of up to three years.

And relatives of people stabbed to death want the Government to make carrying a knife as serious as carrying a gun.

Mr Blunkett's announcement is the latest in the Government's bid to convince voters it is getting tough on crime.

Tony Blair last week backed Tory moves to give homeowners greater freedom to tackle burglars.

He told MPs he would support a change in the law, if Government consultations showed it was necessary.

So, they're going to ban U18s from buying something which can be found in any kitchen. Great. And they'll doing this by extending the existing knives act, which will also mean that U18s will not be able to buy cutlery, scissors, and sewing kits with eensy weensy scissors in. Marvellous.
And then they're going to make stabbing someone carry the same penalty as shooting someone, which will result in more crims carrying guns rather than knives.
And carrying knives "for the wrong reasons" (i.e. something totally subjective) will result in a mandatory 3yr sentance. How many people carrying Gerbers will get stung with this?

Wilkommen im Neue Arbeit Polizeistaat. Ausweis, bitte Kamerad!

This sounds pretty gash, it's trying to solve the issue by skirting round the edges, they need to address the core of the problem and blitz that, the age at which you can buy knives doesn't matter. Not as if a stabbing isntruments hard to come by is it? Another piece of gash from labour. I do agree with harshe sentences though, maybe hardcore crims will resort to shooters, but the kids who mug people, doubt they'll invest in one?!

Typical politicians response to a problem - throw a new Law at it :roll:

Sticking sharp objects into people's anatomy is already illegal, so how the Hell will more legislation help :?:

This will only serve to criminalise previously law-abiding citizens, just like our ridiculous firearms Laws. :evil:

FMOB!
SPIN, SPIN, SPIN!
Pass a law and everything will be fine... Or at least it'll keep people off our backs until after the election...

Just another example of the howling idiocy of this so-called Government. As though banning the sale of knives to U18s will make a blind bit of difference! :roll:

Any old bit of scrap steel and a file will give you a nasty, pointy thing, if you just want to stick someone with it.

FFS, this feckin' bunch hasn't got a scooby! :evil: :evil: :evil:

A progression of anti gun legislation. Didn't the Aussies just enact anti knife legislation?

Great liberal policies based on the premise by the rich and academia that the prols need to be protected from themselves 8O

Mark my words 10 years from now when there is a rash of blunt spoon killings, you will be eating your gruel from paper bowls with your bare hands...only if a rash of bare hand killings doesn't happed before then :D

Of course those who advocate greater restrictions on "deadly" weapons never stop to consider the fact that an armed criminal's greatest fear isn't the Police or the Law & the prospect of a Prison sentence.
No, the toerags greatest fear is of an armed citizen, as evinced by the fall in street crime, robbery & rape in those parts of the US that have enacted "Concealed Carry" legislation.

Message to the Gov't:

Give me back my right to self defence you Cnuts :evil:

Oddbod said:

Message to the Gov't:

Give me back my right to self defence you Cnuts :evil:

While they're at it they could return the right to carry the means with which to perform that defence.

:twisted:

I like the bit:
raise the age at which youngsters can buy knives from 16 to 18, the same age at which they can buy alcohol
At least when they were 16 they were sober!

Semper:
how will young people in their own flats and accomodation survive without knives ?
Very good point. You could be married with kids and a car before you're 18, but unable to cut their hair or make them sandwiches 8O

For once ctauch is making sense. It's the 1st step towards greater and greater control of all kinds. Here in the US there are a ton of laws regarding gun control but they have yet to control CRIMINALS getting their hands on guns.

Bean

Badger_lady said:
I

You could be married with kids and a car before you're 18, but unable to cut their hair or make them sandwiches 8O

Jussus Badger-lady !

Did your mum cut your hair with a knife when you were a sprog ? 8O

Pleeeeeze say you've got some pics of these tonsorial masterpieces !

Post 'em in the gallery.

We won't laugh.

Honest...... :roll:

Well not too much.

:lol: :wink:

its not so much the right to buy a knife I'm worried about.
its catching the little shits if they think its ok to carry one around.
a thousand scrotes little picking from one end of east anglia to the other this febuary would make the rest take notice.
they could even make a tv program out of it " i'm a knife catrrying scrote and now I'm getting frost bite"javascript:emoticon(':x')
Mad

Cutaway said:
Jussus Badger-lady !

Did your mum cut your hair with a knife when you were a sprog ? 8O

Pleeeeeze say you've got some pics of these tonsorial masterpieces !

Post 'em in the gallery.

We won't laugh.

Honest...... :roll:

Well not too much.

:lol: :wink:

Cuts, the knives act relates to scissors as well... And cutlery... And sewing kits with scissors in...

So, if this goes through (and I'll be surprised if it doesn't), at 17 you'll be able live in your own house with your wife (married with parents' permission at 16), will be able to buy rifles & ammo if you've got an FAC, will be able to have a full driving licence & own a car, could be in the Army & given an evil assault rifle to carry whilst dying for your country, but will not be able to buy a pair of scissors.