Unconsidered/weird healthy food options.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by gobbyidiot, Jul 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Eating healthily can mean eating the same stuff endlessly. But sometimes you discover something healthy that adds much needed variety.

e.g. Lidl sell German rye bread (69p). Germans eat rye bread with meat. I tried some on its own, slightly sour, granular and dry, I thought "That needs some sweetness, moisture and variation in texture". So I tried rye bread a) spread with a chunk of ripe banana, b) little squares of it with slices of apple. Extremely tasty - sweet, sour, variation in texture...

Three sheets of rye bread, a sliced apple and a pint of coffee and I'm good to go. You need 50/50 rye/fruit in your mouth.

Banana porridge is a staple, but I definitely think that 40% skimmed milk, a very gentle simmer and (crucially) letting the bugger stand for 5-8 minutes. So, mug of oats, mug of skimmed milk, mug and a half of water, chopped ripe banana, bring to boil keeping it moving, simmer for 5 on very low heat, and then let is stand for a while. Letting it stand was a revelation. It transforms itself from a thin, scalding nuisance to almost a banana pudding.

Banana walnut is the kit as well. Handful of walnuts (I get them in kg bags from the Asian shops - still not cheap), ripe-ish banana, eat the first bit of banana to create a sticky end (fnaar, fnaar) and then you can lift a walnut with the end of the banana. Walnut/banana combo is the business. Peanuts don't work as well, but they are a quarter of the price, again a kg at a time from the minority shops.

Any other healthy options?

2. Squirrels are very tasty, cheap (or free!) and can be grilled to avoid being over fatty. A squeeze of lime juice sets off the flavour nicely.

Good with some new potatoes and perhaps some spinach.

Caution. May contain nuts.

3. I love the banana walnut idea :D :hungry:

Can't stand rye bread I'm afraid :( bungs me up quicker than 80's compo.

It being as tuff as old boots no wondr they use it for open sanwiches - that slice of bread isn't going to flop dropping the contents in yer lap.

Ryue bread yeuch!!!! :toilet:

4. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

There are thousands of 'heathier' alternatives to making dishes:

Use creme fraiche rather than double cream,
    Eat Brown rather than White bread,
    Semi-skimmed rather than full fat.

But I don't think that is the point. Just don't et as much. Flavour combinations work to balance dishes; that demands that a balance between the 5 tastes must be struck:

Sweet
    Sour
    Bitter
    Salt
    Umami (or Savoury)

Muesli is a classic example where all 5 come together and defines whether it is nice or not. Alpen is very sweet and as such people do not eat much and remain hungry, I find that the Morrison's muesli is the best as it does balance all 5 so you eat what your body needs because it is in balance.

5. Ex-STAB

As kids we grew up eating squirrel (seriously) not a lot of meat on them but great fun just eating with yer hands.

They were cooked of course.

And my gran never spent a penny on OUR Davy Crockett hats!!! :boogie:

6. I wasn't joking either...

7. Ex-STAB

None of the other kids ate squirrel only coo and sheep I think.

We ate everything and could have shamed a Chinaman.

I shoot on a local estate and bring home squirrel (grey), rabbit, squabs in springtime, and pigeon (breasts).

Wild spring garlic can be picked up along with early spuds etc.

Also all the elderflowers can be chomped and make a nice early wine.

can't wait till Autumn either!!! :D

8. Morrison's 57p a kg muesli in the yellow bags is the kit. No added suger, throw in some extra nuts and fruit and you're sorted. I go once every six months and fill a bergan, give them the £16 and trudge out chortling.

Elvis used to eat squirrels as a kid. I'll never forget this - they smashed all the bones to pieces through the meat to make a big patty and then scoffed the lot, the bones went right through (apparently). Too many small bones meant waste if you did anything else. Christ. Wear goggles :)

9. Prepare and cook as if rabbit?

10. DPCW

Yes, just like rabbit.

Best to stew slowly so not overcooked. Very lean so not much fat - even less than rabbit.

Can be roasted but don't overdo or it goes tough very quickly. :D

11. excellent. not to be taken in jest either, squirrel is to be found on the menus of many classy restaurants, and even pubs where i come from, and is very lean [mucho healthy], rather gamey, and quite delicious!

12. Rabbit and Ramsons, great combo! (Don't overdo it on the ramsons though - not good for the innards :oops: )

Just waiting for the wheat to turn here and I'll be getting stuck into the pigeon! Yippee! Going rabbit shooting this PM if it ever stops bloody raining :x

13. bleeding heck ex_stab! you're quite the hedgerow gourmet! I feel this warrants its own thread..

14. Just popped a woody who was eying my lettuce up "in a funny way". Tried the "skinning" technique demonstrated by the keeper fellow on the F Word last week...brilliant, twist the wings off and peel - nice breast and very little mess!

15. All the ones I've had have been VERY fatty.

I find them too greasy in a casserole. Split them down the back like a spatchocked partridge and bang em under a hot grill for a few minutes each side.