Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Unconscious Bias

My Ma was born in 1920 and died in 1988 at the age of 80.

Dianne Abbot school of advanced mathematics ?
Not at all. It's the Bugsy school of "posting while stoned". What I meant to type was that me Ma was born in 1920 and died in 2008 at the age of 88. I was trying to set the record straight, but I didn't quite manage it.

MsG

Whatever you do, don't get a "mental health tag" otherwise every bloody thing you do or don't do will be because you're a mental.

Sitting in the TV lounge all night drinking tea? Abnormal behaviour! Nothing to do with it being too cold to sleep with ice on the inside of the effing windows.

Can we try to get back on topic without bullshitting, moon howling, or bitch fighting?

I started this thread in the hope of a sensible discussion. My own experience led me here, for example, because of a brain injury I sustained at the age of seven, I have a slightly slurred voice, and certain teachers decided I was think, and treated me as such. This problem has continued in adult life, in job interviews and so on. How do I overcome that?

How does anyone who is a bit 'different' overcome the snapshot that others take -'not one of us'?
Is it too late to ask, is this thread going the way the OP planned?

I just read through this entire page thinking - by mistake - that i was on the latest SLR thread, and that we'd be back on topic soon.

Thats what I like about Arrse - you can read any thread and they all merge into one. Its like being in a family home where everyone is fighting all the time.

Can we try to get back on topic without bullshitting, moon howling, or bitch fighting?

I started this thread in the hope of a sensible discussion. My own experience led me here, for example, because of a brain injury I sustained at the age of seven, I have a slightly slurred voice, and certain teachers decided I was think, and treated me as such. This problem has continued in adult life, in job interviews and so on. How do I overcome that?

How does anyone who is a bit 'different' overcome the snapshot that others take -'not one of us'?
By not caring what others think.

I was lying in a hospital bed the other day, trying to contain a vesuvius of shit, while half a dozen visitors were less than five feet away. I could happily change my bags in a room full of people. I use a wheelie-walker thingy or am sometimes in a wheelchair; I'm different, don't care.

I frequently have to explain that I'm cognitively impaired and may consequently not always converse fluently and may ramble tangentially. Don't care.

It's a 'problem' for you because you choose to see it as a problem. Maybe recognise that at some point in most people's lives, they'll have some sort of physical or mental issue. Don't treat different others differently; maybe ask them about their issues and show an interest in them as people.

Problems are only problems if you perceive them as such. FFS let it go and live.

Not at all. It's the Bugsy school of "posting while stoned". What I meant to type was that me Ma was born in 1920 and died in 2008 at the age of 88. I was trying to set the record straight, but I didn't quite manage it.

MsG
Why do you sign your posts as monosodium glutamate?

Is it too late to ask, is this thread going the way the OP planned?

Not really.

By not caring what others think.

I was lying in a hospital bed the other day, trying to contain a vesuvius of shit, while half a dozen visitors were less than five feet away. I could happily change my bags in a room full of people. I use a wheelie-walker thingy or am sometimes in a wheelchair; I'm different, don't care.

I frequently have to explain that I'm cognitively impaired and may consequently not always converse fluently and may ramble tangentially. Don't care.

It's a 'problem' for you because you choose to see it as a problem. Maybe recognise that at some point in most people's lives, they'll have some sort of physical or mental issue. Don't treat different others differently; maybe ask them about their issues and show an interest in them as people.

Problems are only problems if you perceive them as such. FFS let it go and live.

Not necessarily the best advice if you want that job. Better to recognise it (and other traits) and do something to make a good impression - perhaps a short presentation instead of of normal question and answer. Or in other situations - get the truth out first.

Whatever you do, don't get a "mental health tag" otherwise every bloody thing you do or don't do will be because you're a mental.

Sitting in the TV lounge all night drinking tea? Abnormal behaviour! Nothing to do with it being too cold to sleep with ice on the inside of the effing windows.

Hmmm... I was going to give an example of where I had to go through a legal process when a so called superior made up his mind without considering any evidence.

A certain level of commissioned rank and a very broad regional (Scouse) accent raises eyebrows in certain company, regardless of being an LE or not.

No matter how hard certain ‘types’ of officers try and hide their emotions when first confronted with it :)

Same reason that guys known as “Mick” for as long as they’ve served will suddenly become “Mike” on commissioning.

One exception (AAC) has just passed away. Think he made it to Lt Col.