Unconscious Bias

These are some of the prejudices I suspect people have about me:

Slurred voice = stupid.
Not sporty = wimp.
Not an extrovert = shy failure.
Asks questions = lacks confidence.
Checks safety equipment = lacks confidence.
Does not excel at ball sports = lacks confidence.
Not had some of the life experiences of many people = outsider.
Prone to anxiety and safety behaviour = WTF?
Tries to stand up for self = troublemaker
Stops and thinks = hesitant, lacks confidence.
Gravitates towards women = pervert.
Conversely - does not talk about women in overtly sexualised terms = gay.
Stays close to others to avoid getting lost = following.
Honest = not believed.
Systems thinker = autistic.
Not one of us.....

I really think I need to get my message across first.
Some seemingly negative perceptions don't necessarily work against you. If your attributes made you appear intelligent, confident, sporty, manly, gregarious, and a team player, many people would see you as a threat, or as a target they could pick on to send a message to others. I know a strapping big bloke who was reduced to tears by his CO. I also know a lad who is very much like the picture you paint of yourself (though in his case, the speech defect which makes him sound stupid is a Manc accent), but despite being quite different from most was, to my knowledge, not disliked by anyone.

Slurred voice = stupid.
Not sporty = wimp.
Not an extrovert = shy failure.
Asks questions = lacks confidence.
Checks safety equipment = lacks confidence.
Does not excel at ball sports = lacks confidence.
Not had some of the life experiences of many people = outsider.
Prone to anxiety and safety behaviour = WTF?
Tries to stand up for self = troublemaker
Stops and thinks = hesitant, lacks confidence.
Gravitates towards women = pervert.
Conversely - does not talk about women in overtly sexualised terms = gay.
Stays close to others to avoid getting lost = following.
Honest = not believed.
Systems thinker = autistic.
Not one of us.....

I really think I need to get my message across first.
I think your forgot to add in paranoid?

Today's definition of 'the tribe' bears no relation to the one in which the habits of tribalism evolved. Any definition of 'us' beyond immediate kinship relations is an artificial construct and people are usually capable of cleaving to more than one 'tribe' simultaneously. Given that the general trend is human beings seeing their 'tribes' in ever-larger terms, it's not beyond the realms of impossibility that eventually the only identity of any consequence will be 'I'm a human being'.
There's a funny old folk song by a bloke called Sid Kipper, it starts "I hate my brother" and ends "All the world will live as one - when the aliens arrive".

Slurred voice = stupid.
I'm afraid my experience is this is the biggy. I have a crown slap bang middle top tooth, that periodically falls off at which point I start to slur my speech. People who know me, fine, anyone who doesn't particularly on the phone where the missing tooth isn't visible = drunk. Obviously why you slur your speech impacts what you can do about it, but if you can I'd work on it. Otherwise as observed above by 'the gimp' sometimes I'm quite proud to be 'not one of us', it's better than being one of the herd.

. . .

We recently had a female Engineer attain her Chartership after years of mentoring from White, male middle aged men. Oddly enough the same little bint was instrumental in getting all Engineering staff (Lowly technicians like me don't matter) to go to an equality debate ( Read: indoctrination session) where apparently the problem in Engineering is it being dominated by White middle aged men. . . . . . . . . ,
Update: On attaining her Chartership after guidance & mentoring from those nasty, white, middle aged men she's now leaving the company to go travelling (again) & then work in Australia.
She had her 5 minutes basking in the glory of being the first female to attain Chartership and now she's off.

Hope her plane to Oz is a DC10, fcuking ingrate.