Unconscious Bias

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Final warning.

Stay on topic, stop the bitch feast or get thread banned. Simple and easy for all of you to understand.

The petty squabbles, fine in the NAAFI, are what is slowly ruining the more serious parts of the site.

Loves and hugs
Guns

I just read through this entire page thinking - by mistake - that i was on the latest SLR thread, and that we'd be back on topic soon.

Thats what I like about Arrse - you can read any thread and they all merge into one. Its like being in a family home where everyone is fighting all the time.

The Royle Armed Family ?

There's The Snail, for starters......

Not necessarily the best advice if you want that job. Better to recognise it (and other traits) and do something to make a good impression - perhaps a short presentation instead of of normal question and answer. Or in other situations - get the truth out first.
You're assuming that others see your 'problem' as you do.

A simple, 'My speech is affected somewhat by a brain injury I received as a child and is not indicative of anything else' might probably do. And any employer would be aware that they could not discriminate against you because of it.

If they're PC enough, it might even work in your favour as they might apply an unconscious positive bias in your favour.

And if it matters to somebody, why would you want to have anything to do with them?

Whatever, the thing is you have a certain condition, you are the way you are. Accept it. Embrace it. And live.

You're assuming that others see your 'problem' as you do.

A simple, 'My speech is affected somewhat by a brain injury I received as a child and is not indicative of anything else' might probably do. And any employer would be aware that they could not discriminate against you because of it.

If they're PC enough, it might even work in your favour as they might apply an unconscious positive bias in your favour.

And if it matters to somebody, why would you want to have anything to do with them?

Whatever, the thing is you have a certain condition, you are the way you are. Accept it. Embrace it. And live.
Exactly - and a presentation shows I really do know my stuff and do want the job. When written in Chinese, the word 'Crisis' is two symbols. One for danger, and one for opportunity -according to John F Kennedy.

Got stuck behind a bloke driving like my dead granny today, back window of his crappy Fiat plastered with 'warning Autism suffer on board' stickers listing the various ways he would be unfit to drive if you got nearer than New Zealand to him. Maybe i'm a heartless cnut, actualy no I am, but just don't drive if you are going to get 'triggered' by a noise or someone wanting you to crack on inside 5 minutes of the light turning green.

Bias can be ingrained bias, but a lot of the time it's just calling out useless cnuts acting like useless cnuts.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I find stereotyping saves time. However I do balance it with experience.
Yep. "Never judge a book by its cover" etc. etc.

As a general rule of thumb however, honed over many years, you can usually bet if someone looks dull, nasty, unpleasant, untrustworthy etc. they probably are!!

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Years of employment by a large multinational in the afterlife showed me that all our foreigners performed exactly to stereotype. They were quite predictable really.

Yep. "Never judge a book by its cover" etc. etc.

As a general rule of thumb however, honed over many years, you can usually bet if someone looks dull, nasty, unpleasant, untrustworthy etc. they probably are!!
I refer you to the answer I gave some time ago.

I, unlike you, consider myself to be a dreadful judge of character. I also consider most others to be fairly poor judges of character. This allows me to set aside my first impressions, and to ignore the reputations which precede some people, meaning I can gradually form an opinion of people rather than jump to a conclusion, and I have few qualms about any initial perception of mine being shown to be wrong. I have caught myself a few times being surprised as someone of whom my initial impression had been unfavourable turns out to be quite different, but in each case, I realised that there was a marked similarity (either in looks or mannerisms) with someone I didn't like.

is that bias or creating a picture in your minds eye based on prior experience/education?

the next question would probably be; can you clearly divide the two?
... and if you can, then it's clearly not unconscious bias.

Last edited:
My old man tells a tale from back in his day, in Dhofar. He was at RAF Salalah in the 70s when the war was going on down there. Story goes, he was on Station, and saw a 4x4, covered in AKs and Russian variant weapons, manned by 3 mahogany skinned, heavily bearded arabs.

Later that day, he saw 3 chaps in Sand Berets, light blue stable belts, British Army uniforms, absolute 100% mahogany skin tans, except for huge patches in the shape of a heavy beards since shaved off.

His point in this was to say never judge a book by its cover.

Mind you, doesn't stop him jumping to conclusions that anyone who wears a baseball cap is an idiot.

Unconscious bias; I like Ben Shapiro on this:
"Ghost hunting".
Was just about to paste that link. It is merely a concept. And as he said if it is unconscious how do you know if you are even doing it? You are chasing the ghost of a ghost. You can think things but it is your actions (including speech/words whilst also keeping in mind context and intent) that are important. Death to Post Modernism!

Was just about to paste that link. It is merely a concept. And as he said if it is unconscious how do you know if you are even doing it? You are chasing the ghost of a ghost. You can think things but it is your actions (including speech/words whilst also keeping in mind context and intent) that are important. Death to Post Modernism!
I think the point is being aware of how much sub conscious prejudices influence what you decide and do. Have a look here for a pretty blatant admission of this bias, and acceptance, and comments about it.

Summary1.jpg

Which brings all sorts of cognitive biases into play:

1433516609896155794.png

I think you are right. NHS has not enough doctors. And doctor doesn't really care when he sees you. He just wants to give you some tablets, to make you go away.

I think you are right. NHS has not enough doctors. And doctor doesn't really care when he sees you. He just wants to give you some tablets, to make you go away.
Eh?

Surely that is the point? Being aware of it and having checks and balances, and also some of us who are prone to being misunderstood getting out message across. You can do little about the noise, but you can make the signal strong....

Eh?

Surely that is the point? Being aware of it and having checks and balances, and also some of us who are prone to being misunderstood getting out message across. You can do little about the noise, but you can make the signal strong....
But if it is unconscious, how can you be aware of it at any point? Unless you have someone monitoring you constantly and then move on the realms of CBT?

Eh?

Out of interest is it considered a innate thing or is it another 'social construct'? Lobsters.

You can be aware that it exists whilst still denying that it affects you.
So is there a solution or is it just part of human nature (which it all seems to points to, innate) and we just have to be aware of it?